The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Questions/Comments/Suggestions (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [Suggestion] Preventing spoilers (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57128)

ToTheNines 01-01-2017 01:18 PM

Preventing spoilers

In light of this South Korea business with the Nick show, what do you guys think we can do to eliminate spoilers leaking through?

I know the easy answer is to just stay off the internet, but I don't think that's entirely fair.

We already have spoiler tags and people know to create and utilize threads especially made for them, but it's been a problem on multiple sections of this forum.

I understand that some people don't care if they read about something happening before actually seeing it, but the sad thing is that the attitude amongst people who let all these Klunks, Hobs and Ice Cream Kitties out of their bags is that it's no big deal.

I know I've been inflammatory towards members when this happens, and I'm sorry. That's rarely the way to handle problems around here, so I guess the only thing we can do is create awareness. Could we add a new Forum Rule? Have something in plain sight in the relevant sections? What do y'all think?

plastroncafe 01-01-2017 01:25 PM

Short of people just not being jerks, I don't know that there's anyway to enforce something like this.

Jester 01-01-2017 01:37 PM

Sadly, Plastron's right. There's little that can be done if people who have seen things don't give a flying flip if the spoil or not...

I guess all I can really do is say.....

STOP IT! JUST STOP IT!!

Well...that and "up report" and see what the other mods have to say.

ToTheNines 01-01-2017 02:11 PM

I remember a LONG time ago, actual warnings were given, rather than the temp bans that are currently dished out. Perhaps real warnings would be useful for this cause?

CyberCubed 01-01-2017 02:15 PM

Why are people not banned for spoilers? I literally almost saw something from Season 4 eps spoiled but I quickly scrolled through it and now forgot what was posted.

I don't understand this stupidity. Why are people allowed to get away with it? They can't possibly be that stupid to know not to spoil something from unaired eps in the U.S. in random threads.

Jester 01-01-2017 02:44 PM

Not sure why we went away from warnings, and to be fair the extent of my power of warning is the afore mentioned stern "Stop it!!" I have brought this up in the mod sub forum so well see what we can do.

TigerClaw 01-01-2017 02:54 PM

That's why we have those spoiler tags in a post, if you don't want to be spoiled, Don't click on it.

ToTheNines 01-01-2017 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1650128)
That's why we have those spoiler tags in a post, if you don't want to be spoiled, Don't click on it.

Useless as usual...

Some people are not using the spoiler tags TC. Understand?

CyberCubed 01-01-2017 03:54 PM

This should also be applied to the IDW section. One person spoiled a characters death the day the issue came out in an unrelated thread without any tags. Literally the first day the issue came out too.

I didn't really care too much, but it should be applied to the future when major things happen in the comics.

ToTheNines 01-01-2017 06:01 PM

It should apply to everything, not just major stuff. If you're not in the thread designated for the discussion of that specific issue/episode/movie, don't discuss it. Or just use the spoiler tags. They're a click away.

Powder 01-01-2017 08:43 PM

You think it's bad here, you should see what the dimwitted children write on social media. Almost any IG post from Brandon/Ciro, TMNT official FB page, etc. they just outright say "THING HAPPENED, I SAW IT ON YOUTUBE!".

*shakes fists*

Anyway, report spoiler posts. They prolly won't be deal with quickly, but at least that's something. A mod could edit/delete them.

CyberCubed 01-01-2017 10:12 PM

Man, I didn't even think about social media. I'm sure some of them are posting screenshots from the eps aired in Korea. Now I got to avoid all TMNT related tags.

Man, these young kids of today. Even when the 2k3 series was airing social media was still in its infancy, hell youtube didn't even exist till 2005 and by then the 4kids series was in its 4th season. Goddamn, 2k3 TMNT predates youtube.

Powder 01-01-2017 10:23 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't search #TMNT on IG or Tumblr for a while.

CyberCubed 01-01-2017 10:45 PM

TMNTInsighter needs to get banned for a week or two for posting spoilers and then not caring. Saying, "they're up in Korean and on youtube."

Like that's supposed to be any better.

Jephael 01-01-2017 10:53 PM

Personally, I kinda like knowing what's about to happen down the road, even if it's a character's demise. Hell, I used to go on KryptonSite and read what was gonna happen in upcoming episodes of Smallville. But yea I can understand how some people don't like to know. I had a buddy in college who was a big Superman fan and he loved the sh*t outta that show, but he hated it when I'd try to tell him something that was gonna happen (especially when he would make his own speculations)

As far as spoilers in the Nick section, I say it'd be best if we just quit talking about the upcoming episodes until they've aired here in the U.S. Simple as that, and if you already know what's gonna happen keep it to yerself!!!

Powder 01-01-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1650206)
TMNTInsighter needs to get banned for a week or two for posting spoilers and then not caring. Saying, "they're up in Korean and on youtube."

Like that's supposed to be any better.

Bring it directly to a mod in PM.

Jester 01-02-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1650208)
Bring it directly to a mod in PM.

That was also brought up in my question to the other mods too.

Coola Yagami 01-02-2017 11:31 AM

Bans for stuff people can't control? Not our fault Korea decided to cut the bs and delays and air the Eps already.

People need to learn, don't like it, don't read it. It's not stay off the internet, it's stay off places where you know you're likely to run into spoilers. Don't check out a tmnt forum if you don't wanna read about tmnt. This is more Viacom's fault than anyone else for giving Korea a sneak peak.

plastroncafe 01-02-2017 11:45 AM

Bans for things people CAN control, but choose not to, like the posting of spoilers in thread titles, and within the body of their posts.

We have a Spoiler Code button, for crying out loud.

CyberCubed 01-02-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1650268)
People need to learn, don't like it, don't read it. It's not stay off the internet, it's stay off places where you know you're likely to run into spoilers. Don't check out a tmnt forum if you don't wanna read about tmnt.

What on earth are you talking about? This is specifically about people spoiling the events of the episodes in unrelated threads or not using spoiler tags. We specifically have a thread for people to discuss the Korean aired episodes if they want to see spoilers, so there's no reason they should say things outside of it.

How hard is it to understand people don't want to read spoilers about a series they're following? It's the same thing for movies or any other TV show. I haven't watched Star Wars Rogue One yet, do you think I'm going into the review threads to read spoilers? No, of course not.