The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo preview & discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58403)

AlZarkovski 07-24-2017 11:34 PM

TMNT/Usagi Yojimbo preview & discussion

Preview here.

DestronMirage22 07-24-2017 11:40 PM

Always a treat seeing Usagi in color, even though I would've preferred it in black in white.
Preview doesn't get much into the story, but it does leave me wanting more! Can't wait for it to come out already!! :)

Mayhem 07-25-2017 03:31 AM

If you've read the first three issues from the Mirage Usagi series, then you may recognise the character that's about to appear ;)

Nortock Diab 07-25-2017 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem (Post 1701516)
If you've read the first three issues from the Mirage Usagi series, then you may recognise the character that's about to appear ;)

Spoiler:
The Splinter-like character?

funatic 07-26-2017 08:55 AM

Bummed to hear the special HC edition of this is delayed until late September! Maybe it was a clever ploy since it forced to me to double dip. Luckily my LCS is awesome and sold me the David Petersen variant for cover price. [puts on gloves and delicately opens to first page...]

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 07-26-2017 10:00 AM

Jei didn't really do much, did he?

I've been disappointed a little that Usagi Yojimbo doesn't seem to be wrapping up the Jei storyline. Is this particular villain never going to be defeated?

oldmanwinters 07-26-2017 10:38 AM

Does this printing include a reprint of the first TMNT/Usagi crossover or will that be exclusive to the hardcover?

dawwe 07-26-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1701863)
Does this printing include a reprint of the first TMNT/Usagi crossover or will that be exclusive to the hardcover?

It does not seem like it was included in the normal issue.

And it does seem like I was right about the Donatello arm thing simply being a mistake in the coloring on the cover. No sign of any armguards in the entire issue and the arms are green as usual. Unless someone wants to argue that he was only supposed to have them on that specific cover.

myconius 07-26-2017 12:44 PM

i really love how Stan Sakai handles all the fight scenes.
the way the Leo/Usagi duel was done really put a smile. :D

neatoman 07-26-2017 01:04 PM

So I guess it's finally been confirmed that Kakera is indeed Splinter's counterpart in Usagi's world, rather than just a character invocative of Splinter?

myconius 07-26-2017 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1701924)
So I guess it's finally been confirmed that Kakera is indeed Splinter's counterpart in Usagi's world, rather than just a character invocative of Splinter?

has it actually been confirmed? i wasn't really sure.

ToTheNines 07-26-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1701924)

Well "kakera" is Japanese for "splinter", so...

CyberCubed 07-26-2017 07:47 PM

This was pretty good for the first TMNT/Usagi crossover in years. Typical Usagi story with the Turtles guest starring that played into Japanese mythology. The color was great.

Hopefully we do get a long crossover between the two again in the future.

ChosenOne 07-26-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1702053)
This was pretty good for the first TMNT/Usagi crossover in years. Typical Usagi story with the Turtles guest starring that played into Japanese mythology. The color was great.

Hopefully we do get a long crossover between the two again in the future.

And hopefully with art by Santolouco. Nothing against Sakai, quite the contrary, but anyone who's seen Santolouco's Usagi will understand.

As for the crossover itself, I enjoyed it for what it was. Particularly nice as a one-two combo with last Sunday's episode of the cartoon.

myconius 07-26-2017 08:00 PM

i loved the Sakai art.

Nortock Diab 07-27-2017 01:15 AM

A pleasant issue to read: good team-up, Sakai art in colour, Japanese background, references to past issues and a glimpse of the multiverse.

I only wish more was addressed regarding the multiverse and the possible implications.
IDW Turtles do not explore the fact that Usagi knows another version of them.
Don't they mind?

I'm glad my store sold me the Petersen cover at cover price :tgrin:.

Mayhem 07-27-2017 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1701843)
I've been disappointed a little that Usagi Yojimbo doesn't seem to be wrapping up the Jei storyline. Is this particular villain never going to be defeated?

Well Jei is the deity, not the physical host... this IS the third person that has been occupied by "him" now since Usagi began... one being Inazuma of course.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 07-27-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem (Post 1702126)
Well Jei is the deity, not the physical host... this IS the third person that has been occupied by "him" now since Usagi began... one being Inazuma of course.

I know, but at this point, it feels like this particular villain (the demon, not the host) will never be vanquished.

I like seeing storylines progress, climax, and then finish, so I get if that's not how Sakai is going to do this... it just makes it a little frustrating for me personally.

CyberCubed 07-27-2017 11:37 AM

Jei's been around for nearly 30 years, since practically the start of the Usagi series. He's the main recurring villain basically, he probably won't ever be stopped for good until the series ends.

Usagi Yojimbo comics are written like anime/manga that go on forever.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 07-27-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1702197)
Jei's been around for nearly 30 years, since practically the start of the Usagi series. He's the main recurring villain basically, he probably won't ever be stopped for good until the series ends.

Usagi Yojimbo comics are written like anime/manga that go on forever.

Wait, wow... 30 years?

See, I only binge-read the whole run last year. :tlol: I forgot how long it had been around.

Still, though... a little closure would be nice. :tgrin: I wonder if Sakai has a final ending in mind?