The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   World Cup Russia 2018 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60100)

Klunk1234 06-14-2018 06:07 AM

World Cup Russia 2018

After 4 years, the day finally arrived. Who do you think will win the tournament? My favorites are Argentina, Brazil, Germany, France, the defending champions Germany,my country's team, of course, etc. Germany will fight to defend its title. My country is back after years of not participating. I'm so happy!:D Enjoy, like billions of people around the world.

Vicky82 06-14-2018 06:49 AM

I know one country that won't be winning it.

England :D

I think we will get further than the last world cup but will get knocked out in the quarter finals probably losing to Brazil or Germany again.

I think the winner is going to be Brazil or Germany. I did pick Spain but then there manager got sacked yesterday, so I can't see them winning now.

newfan 06-14-2018 08:12 AM

LOL agreed Vicky, England were awful last time ...and I think the time before that...
I notice the US isn't in it this time, shame, I usually route for you guys also.

I'm just not a sports person outside of the WC, even with this it was more that everyone really got into it and made plans for the games etc... I haven't been as into it the last 2 times either.

Sumac 06-14-2018 08:26 AM

First match will be between Russia (the worst team on the cup) and Saudi Arabia!
Much excitement! So wow!

newfan 06-14-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1764775)
First match will be between Russia (the worst team on the cup) and Saudi Arabia!
Much excitement! So wow!

Off to a good start! .....though I should save it until the end of the game

EDIT: Okay now it's the end - 5-0! Sumac, I will not be seeing the same with my team on Monday :lol:

Sumac 06-14-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1764796)
Off to a good start! .....though I should save it until the end of the game

So far it is 2-0.
Russia leads, so apparently they are not the WORST team on the cup anymore. :roll:

Vicky82 06-14-2018 11:15 AM

Finished 5-0 to Russia, didn't expect that, I predicted 2-1.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 06-14-2018 12:30 PM

I'm getting sick and tired of all moviestars who just throw themselves and dive towards the ground when losing the ball.

Sumac 06-14-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1764822)
I'm getting sick and tired of all moviestars who just throw themselves and dive towards the ground when losing the ball.

Not in this game.
The are barely any known players in both teams.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 06-14-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1764833)
Not in this game.
The are barely any known players in both teams.

No, but soccer in general has too many of them.

Prowler 06-14-2018 01:57 PM

I wonder who the Italians, the Dutch and the Americans will pull for this WC.

...Ok that was mean. :lol:

Portugal as the European champions have the responsibility and duty of at least trying. Not asking them to win the whole thing, but first of all, let's pass the group stage, shall we? Even if Morocco and Iran might have better teams than we know, I'm sure Portugal on a good day can beat them.

If we qualify to the next round, we'll get either Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt or Uruguay. I dunno how these teams are doing these days, but Uruguay is prolly complicated since it's a South American team. That being said, Russia just thrashed Saudi Arabia.

If we make it to the QFs it's likely we'll get France or Germany... that or upsets happen and we face a team like Mexico, Peru or South Korea.

If Portugal doesn't win this thing, then I'd be fine with it going to a nation that has never won it before, or maybe a nation that hasn't won it in years like Argentina. Brazil, Germany, France, Spain and England? **** no. Ideally, if Portugal doesn't win it, I'd want maybe Japan to win it... but unless their Captain Tsubasa shirts materialise then nah, it won't happen.

Spain changed their coach a couple of days ago, so let's see how they'll fare against us tomorrow.

It's odd to see a football thread in the Drome btw.

newfan 06-14-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1764839)

It's odd to see a football thread in the Drome btw.

It is ..but an exception can be made for the world cup.. :P

Prowler 06-14-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1764761)
I know one country that won't be winning it.

England :D

I think we will get further than the last world cup but will get knocked out in the quarter finals probably losing to Brazil or Germany again.

I think the winner is going to be Brazil or Germany. I did pick Spain but then there manager got sacked yesterday, so I can't see them winning now.

Lopetegui is a bad manager, so I don't think they lost anything worthwhile. But ofc changing coach 2 days before the tournament to a guy who has no experience(I think?) is a very risky move.

As for tomorrow, I never know what to expect of Portugal. We either do great tournaments or lousy ones. We always perform well at the Euros, Wolrd Cups not so much. The only 2 World Cups we had good runs in were England 66 and Germany 2006, both in Europe. World Cups outside of Europe are always disastrous for us due to poor preparations. Good thing This WC is being held in the European part of Russia, so let's see.

Mayhem 06-15-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1764761)

Actually, if we do make the quarters, it will almost certainly be one of those two, given how the draw pans out... we're in group G, and play someone from H in the first knock out round. Both winners of those matches then play someone from groups E or F. Which have Germany and Brazil in them.

Vicky82 06-15-2018 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayhem (Post 1765000)
Actually, if we do make the quarters, it will almost certainly be one of those two, given how the draw pans out... we're in group G, and play someone from H in the first knock out round. Both winners of those matches then play someone from groups E or F. Which have Germany and Brazil in them.

Yeah I did the working out using this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44455057

If they finish 1st in our group, they would face Brazil in the Quarter Finals, If England finish 2nd then they face Germany in the Quarter Finals. So it would be better for England to finish 2nd in our group because they got more of a chance of beating Germany than Brazil.

Then if they do get to the semi finals (by beating Germany) then they could end up facing Argentina or Portugal/Spain and I rather it be Argentina, again England are got more of a chance of beating Argentina than Portugal/Spain.

So if England make it to the final then they could end up facing Brazil or Spain (that's if Spain finish 2nd in there group), but obviously we will lose that, can't see us beating them.

Edit

Egypt vs Uruguay is starting, I think that Uruguay will win this one. But I wonder how long it will take Suarez to do something controversial, lol.

Klunk1234 06-15-2018 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1764843)
It is ..but an exception can be made for the world cup.. :P

Thank you so much! :D I love the World Cup. I watch football (not "soccer". I prefer to use the sport's official name) ,during major international events like this.

Klunk1234 06-15-2018 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1765003)
Yeah I did the working out using this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44455057

If they finish 1st in our group, they would face Brazil in the Quarter Finals, If England finish 2nd then they face Germany in the Quarter Finals. So it would be better for England to finish 2nd in our group because they got more of a chance of beating Germany than Brazil.

Then if they do get to the semi finals (by beating Germany) then they could end up facing Argentina or Portugal/Spain and I rather it be Argentina, again England are got more of a chance of beating Argentina than Portugal/Spain.

So if England make it to the final then they could end up facing Brazil or Spain (that's if Spain finish 2nd in there group), but obviously we will lose that, can't see us beating them.

Edit

Egypt vs Uruguay is starting, I think that Uruguay will win this one. But I wonder how long it will take Suarez to do something controversial, lol.

Well, Luisito (Luis Suárez's nickname) won't do it again;he knows the consequences, but if he do it again, this time he will be toothless.

Uruguay is having a difficult time in its match against Egypt.

Vicky82 06-15-2018 08:06 AM

What a boring match that was, Uruguay didn't deserve to win it, Suarez was terrible. Egypt goal keeper did really well, it's a shame Mo Salah didn't play.

Elneny played really well too. Was hoping to see more of Lucas Torreira (hopefully he's going to sign for Arsenal) but he only played for like 5 minutes.

Edit

Iran vs Morocco was so boring, it was like watching paint dry. Just hope Spain vs Portugal is a lot better.

Autbot_Benz 06-15-2018 11:35 AM

https://s.faketrumptweet.com/jig95f9o_ijzkm4_sw2rd8.png

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 06-15-2018 12:18 PM

I'm sick and tired of the witch hunt for Russian sportspeople. Russians are punished very strict for using doping, no matter if they use it or not. Other countries? Nobody cares.