The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Fred Wolf Appreciation Thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58618)

Vegita-San 08-25-2017 08:54 AM

The Fred Wolf Appreciation Thread

Liking Fred Wolf is not a curse. it's not something to be ashamed of. It's not something to pariah over.

If it where not for FW, many of us would never have discovered and learned to enjoy the original comic. even if it did take a while to get used to the more violent, adult nature of it as kids.

I just find it odd that on a forum where the logo and name is about the actual cartoon, there is so much distaste for, what one can argue, a franchise that basically helped re launch the entire property into cultural icon ism.

Before that last sentence makes die hards see red(pun intended?), :). notice I said RE launch.

what did the Fred Wolf Series mean to you, either discovering it first round, or as an adult a tad late?

ProphetofGanja 08-25-2017 09:19 AM

I loved the show when I was a kid. I loved singing along with the theme song, the goofiness of the show, Krang and Shredder bickering and Bebop and Rocksteady bumbling, all of it. I was Mikey for Halloween several years in a row. Good times.

DestronMirage22 08-25-2017 09:28 AM

I really like FW for what it is. It has it's own unique charm and reminds me of better times.

I still watch an episode or two every once in a while and get a few chuckles from the humor and there are some episodes that I really enjoy. It might not be my ideal version of TMNT, but I still appreciate it.

I only wish the market for TMNT merchandise and peoples views on TMNT didn't stay only on FW. There are other versions of TMNT out there. Why not let them get their time to shine?

Hopefully this thread stays positive and doesn't turn into another case of "lets bash FW!" Some 'Dromers have different tastes in regards to TMNT. Why not let them discuss it in peace?

Vegita-San 08-25-2017 09:43 AM

hence thread purpose :).

Wesley 08-25-2017 09:45 AM

I loved the cartoon as a kid too. Thought it was one of the best shows ever at that time. Fun to watch but slightly serious at times. The intro was badass to me. Liked all the main characters.

I still like the show as an adult, though it's not as good as I remembered it. It's not one of the best shows ever after all, but half of the episodes are still fun to watch. It's alright in small doses. A guilty pleasure that has its ups and downs (similar to Pokémon). Some episodes are actually more enjoyable to me as an adult, though, as a lot of the humour such as Raphael's sarcastic remarks and the batter between Shredder and Krang went over my head as a kid.

I think the Fred Wolf toon was a good introduction to the Turtles anyway, as I probably wouldn't have become a fan of tmnt or been interested in watching the 4Kids series without watching it first.

neatoman 08-25-2017 09:52 AM

The topic of this thread seems... Oddly defensive...

Ulisa 08-25-2017 10:47 AM

This version was the first version of turtles I saw and it's definitely what got me interested in it (though the movies helped reinforce that). Truthfully, it still my favorite version in large part due to the characterization of Michelangelo who has always been my favorite.

Despite being the laid back and fun turtle, he was still a competent fighter and able of saving his brothers as much as they saved him, something I feel like later versions seem to forget. He came across as just a fun guy, someone I could easily see myself just shooting the breeze with.

I also must admit that despite it being a major point in all other versions, I kinda like that Leo and Raph lack that intense rivalry here. They still pick on one another but it isn't as...well...intense I guess as in other versions. I suppose I just like Raphael more as a smartass than a badass Wolverine type (though don't get me wrong, I do enjoy those versions too)

I've also just always been a fan of "anything goes" type of story telling so long as it follows the rules of the established universe and FW certainly does that. I'm always entertained by it.

That being said, I do thoroughly enjoy other versions as well (4kids being a close second) and I'll generally try anything at least once. For me, the selling point has always been the characters. If I really care/like the characters then everything else becomes less important

ranger_scout 08-25-2017 10:48 AM

I would like to share this previous thoughts from another post. It's hard to believe that this show is celebrating 30th anniversary. The original series has meant so much to me over the years. It was one of the first cartoons I ever watched. Whenever I feel really down, some of the episodes make me feel better. The recent crossover with 2012 series, especially meant a lot to me because I was going through a dark time in my life when it first aired. I'm also very much looking forward to the next one that will happening soon. I also wrote fan-mail to Cam Clarke about three years ago and he replied back in such a gentleman like way. It was thrilling to meet Rob Paulsen back in December 2016 at an Expo. I hope to meet Townsend Coleman, Barry Gordon and some other actors from the series someday. It would be also nice if Cam came to a convention in my area.

CyberCubed 08-25-2017 11:27 AM

I marathon through the show every 2-3 years. I probably watched it in full about 10-15 times.

Overall I still enjoy about 75% of the shows total episodes. The show is supposed to be a fun parody of action shows with bizarre sci-fi plots and nonsensical things happening which is why it still holds up. If it was actually written as a serious show it would not stand out. There are bad episodes of course but that's 25% of the duller eps.

plastroncafe 08-25-2017 11:47 AM

The Big Cufflink Caper was funny as heck.

Andrew NDB 08-25-2017 11:50 AM

Show was awesome when I was 6, 7. I remember getting mad when the same old episodes would play when I was anxious for new ones.

neatoman 08-25-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1709685)
Show was awesome when I was 6, 7. I remember getting mad when the same old episodes would play when I was anxious for new ones.

When did it lose it's magic for you?

Andrew NDB 08-25-2017 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1709687)
When did it lose it's magic for you?

I don't know that it ever "lost" me. I remember trying to catch new episodes and not having any luck... I think my friends were telling me the new ones aired early on the weekends, which I would never be up for. Eventually I think I just gave up and got tired of seeing the same 5 or 6 episodes over and over again.

Rewatching then many years later, it just wasn't watchable anymore.

neatoman 08-25-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1709690)
I don't know that it ever "lost" me. I remember trying to catch new episodes and not having any luck... I think my friends were telling me the new ones aired early on the weekends, which I would never be up for. Eventually I think I just gave up and got tired of seeing the same 5 or 6 episodes over and over again.

Rewatching then many years later, it just wasn't watchable anymore.

Huh, that might partially explain why you're not as attached to the show as other people here.

When were you 6-7? When season 2 was airing? Seems odd that a show with 65 episodes by the end the third season and 106 by the end of the fourth would show the same few episodes over and over.

Utrommaniac 08-25-2017 12:33 PM

So, I ended up watching it late. And honestly, the best parts for me was the dialogue, especially when it was subtle insults at someone else's expense. "I'm taking out the trash" in regards to Vernon is a favorite.

And the way a few situations go horribly wrong.

Like in Turtles Everywhere, wherein the last female of a sea turtle species was coming to the beach to lay her eggs, and promptly gets captured in front of everyone watching. Probably the worst thing that could happen aside from the turtle just...flopping over and dying.

I would like a revival in Krang watching soap operas...I found that to be fun. And a return to his scientific background as well, but I guess Ma'riell might be taking up that mantle from him.

AquaParade 08-25-2017 01:22 PM

I'll always love the original toon. Especially the first season. It's fun, it's colorful, and worked alongside Mirage comics and the 1990 film to forever capture my imagination.

Although, it will always be an interesting point of contention when debating the butterfly effect it had on the franchise in general. Both an engine and an anchor for the TMNT as a whole.

BubblyShell22 08-25-2017 03:46 PM

The FW show was where I first became a TMNT fan so it's definitely something I will always treasure and I still enjoy watching it to this day. I also enjoyed how Nickelodeon included them in a crossover and am looking forward to the next one as well.

Andrew NDB 08-25-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1709694)
When were you 6-7? When season 2 was airing? Seems odd that a show with 65 episodes by the end the third season and 106 by the end of the fourth would show the same few episodes over and over.

Probably season 2. I seem to remember getting the second edition bubblegum cards, and those were of the 2nd season. I don't remember much beyond that so I don't think I hung on too much afterward.

neatoman 08-25-2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1709736)
Probably season 2. I seem to remember getting the second edition bubblegum cards, and those were of the 2nd season. I don't remember much beyond that so I don't think I hung on too much afterward.

Seems to explain why you're not nostalgic for the show compared to others here who grew up with it, you would have almost nothing to be nostalgic about. My excuse is just that I was like 15 when I first tried to watch it, way past the age range to have the flaws fly over my head.

FredWolfLeonardo 08-25-2017 04:36 PM

I love that we still one more arc in the Nick toon with the original cast yet to air.

30 years ago the Voice Actors brought the characters to life on the tv screen, and in 2017 they all finish with a blast :)