The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How Likely Is It A New Film Is Already Being Developed? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59764)

Powder 03-26-2018 05:45 PM

How Likely Is It A New Film Is Already Being Developed?

See title. & I don't mean a Bayturtles sequel, but a fresh start.

On the cartoon front, Rise Of The TMNT was conceptualized well before the then-current Nick series had even finished airing. Its television debut will be less than a year out from its predecessor's finale. In the realm of comics, we saw 2 different series' based on the former 'toon, an original mainline comic, countless mini-series & crossovers, as well as an offshoot of the ongoing run. Additionally, the collector's market has never been more active, with new toys, statues, & other goods coming out at a rapid pace, to much success.

So if Viacom is this pedal to the metal in all other fields, is it not a logical conclusion to assume they're already plotting their next silver screen iteration? If Rise is shaking up the status quo by changing longtime character dynamics, adding mysticism, individual turtle species, etc. should we expect a film to deviate similarly in an attempt to create a new audience? Or do you think they'll try to go far more "classic" than the two Platinum Dunes pictures did (at least aesthetically)?

CyberCubed 03-26-2018 05:53 PM

Movies tend to have a much slower start to greenlit because of a script and funding than something like a cartoon or (obviously) comic does. That and the less than stellar box office returns of the last movie means they're probably not rushing to even do a reboot.

There's a reason why after 30 years, there's only been 6 theatrical TMNT movies. You'd think by now we'd have 10+ TMNT movies, but of course not.

AquaParade 03-26-2018 06:00 PM

As you know, there is so very little to go off of, that even the most educated guess is a total shot in the dark right now.

My gut tells me that there have been serious discussions behind the scenes and some brainstorming over a new direction. It tells me they are set on making another film but don't want to rush anything after the impulsive flailing around in tone and direction of the Platinum Dunes attempt. It tells me plans for a new film are slow and steady, like the tortoise is known for. It tells me to go ahead and begin cooking dinner.

Powder 03-26-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1753557)
Movies tend to have a much slower start to greenlit because of a script and funding than something like a cartoon or (obviously) comic does. That and the less than stellar box office returns of the last movie means they're probably not rushing to even do a reboot.

There's a reason why after 30 years, there's only been 6 theatrical TMNT movies. You'd think by now we'd have 10+ TMNT movies, but of course not.

You are of course right on all points, Cubemeister. But I wonder if things would be different/faster with Viacom steering the ship. More money, more power, more contacts, all that jazz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1753559)
It tells me plans for a new film are slow and steady, like the tortoise is known for. It tells me to go ahead and begin cooking dinner.

You're probably right. & that sounds like a plan, I'll follow suit.

But to the other point, you guys think it'll be as different to past movies as Rise is to past cartoons? Or will they stick to the tried & true?

IndigoErth 03-26-2018 06:09 PM

I have my doubts. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they just let it sit and cool for at least a few more years before deciding to test those waters again. Gotta let the sharks and blood clear out.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1753555)
If Rise is shaking up the status quo by changing longtime character dynamics, adding mysticism, individual turtle species, etc. should we expect a film to deviate similarly in an attempt to create a new audience?

After PD? At least those Turtles were still themselves for the most part, even if the designs weren't everyone's cup of tea and the stories sucked. And it bombed over that. Go far more drastic than PD and "shake up the status quo" for film...? Not unless they'd like to be skinned alive. That would be a huge risk to the money put in.

For gods sake, what is wrong with the Turtles being able to be who they are and create great new stories for them.... Instead of trying to change everything else in general or rebooting endlessly.

It's unfortunate that TMNT gets saddled with the constant concern (or expected to take concern) for a "new audience." What else even does this. Does the WWF shake things up by, I dunno, turning into a wrestling talent show to get "a new audience"? If kids can't love the TMNT for who they are, then maybe it isn't their thing and they can select from tons of other properties to care about. And let the existing fans who know and love them keep knowing them, not just having to keep revising all the old stuff only. There will always be newbies who join the club, even without trying to change things in ridiculous ways.

edit: Honestly, I'm used to the PD boys enough by now that I could deal with seeing them again. But cripe, get them better writers and keep Bay (and all his Bayisms) out of it. Give the models and their actors to another far better studio. (And improve on the humans.) An original story with an interesting new foe would be better. (And not bad guy businessmen or other lame things like that.)

neatoman 03-26-2018 06:16 PM

I'm gonna say no. OotS didn't turn a profit and I'm not sure they're willing to greenlight another one. Maybe if Rise turns out to be successful, but not right now.

Still, OotS did end with the clear intention of making a sequel. I'm morbidly curious if they would have been able to make an even worse movie than OotS. I almost wish PD churned out another dogturd for this reason.

Powder 03-26-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1753563)
For gods sake, what is wrong with the Turtles being able to be who they are and create great new stories for them....

It's unfortunate that TMNT gets saddled with the constant concern (or expected to take concern) for a "new audience." What else even does this. Does the WWF shake things up by, I dunno, turning into a wrestling talent show to get "a new audience"? If kids can't love the TMNT for who they are, then maybe it isn't their thing and they can select from tons of other properties to care about. And let the existing fans who know and love them keep knowing them, not just having to keep revising all the old stuff only.

Well, they've been changing who the turtle are since the very first time they were "adapted" from comics, to be fair. The OT turtles are not the Mirage turtles, after all. The precedent was set early, unfortunately. While we have so many variations now, really, they're mostly caricatures of the Fred Wolf standard anyway.

I'd say that's pretty much how it goes with most properties, dude. Like, for real. I'm no wrestling fan, but I am well aware that the field is riddled with gimmicks, celebrities, & these days, animated features that introduce unscrupulous muscle men as bumbling would-be heroes alongside children's cartoon characters. You've got genderbends at Marvel, we had that "extreme" phase in the 90's, things like Looney Tunes & Muppets becoming sitcoms, it's par the course. If there is anything unique about that process in how TMNT is approached, it could be due to how they are products of their time. The "teenage" side of them has to be updated to align more with the then-modern youth, & the many pop culture references they spew for comedic effect must also match up. Naturally, as fans get older, they'll relate less to it. I dunno.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-26-2018 06:27 PM

I'd love for this to be true; and if somebody IS working on a new TMNT movie, hopefully it will be with traditional Ninja Turtles. Small martial artists. This IS the age of Comic Book Movies; Viacom has to want to get TMNT back in theaters. If Deadpool, AntMan, and Aquaman can get huge movies, so can the TMNT!

IndigoErth 03-26-2018 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1753567)
Well, they've been changing who the turtle are since the very first time they were "adapted" from comics, to be fair. The OT turtles are not the Mirage turtles, after all. The precedent was set early, unfortunately. While we have so many variations now, really, they're mostly caricatures of the Fred Wolf standard anyway.

I'd say that's pretty much how it goes with most properties, dude. Like, for real. I'm no wrestling fan, but I am well aware that the field is riddled with gimmicks, celebrities, & these days, animated features that introduce unscrupulous muscle men as bumbling would-be heroes alongside children's cartoon characters. You've got genderbends at Marvel, we had that "extreme" phase in the 90's, things like Looney Tunes & Muppets becoming sitcoms, it's par the course. If there is anything unique about that process in how TMNT is approached, it could be due to how they are products of their time. The "teenage" side of them has to be updated to align more with the then-modern youth, & the many pop culture references they spew for comedic effect must also match up. Naturally, as fans get older, they'll relate less to it. I dunno.

I know... and I realize the TMNT today aren't as they were in Mirage, where they supposedly didn't differ from each other all that much (I've still not yet dug into it - one of these days, I do already own the first collective volume), but at least after over 30 years it feels (at least to me) like a progressive franchise-wide slow development as to who they are as characters. (In which 'Rise' seems to be content with taking that and throwing a wrench at it, and a large box of rusty screws and bolts for that matter.)

I welcome continued development over time, in ways that suit them each. Not so much in deciding to up and throw away who any of them has become over the last 34 years. PD had enough issues... I would not prefer to see them decide to take a cue from 'Rise' in terms of film handling.

All the things you listed though... ugh. Taken together, it's kind of sad. Just being pimped out for attention. "Am I pretty enough again??" Like watching Paris Hilton try to reclaim public attention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1753569)
If Deadpool, AntMan, and Aquaman can get huge movies, so can the TMNT!

With them making friends with DC these days, at the moment I sorta just wish the Turtles could be a part of one of their films, if their own people can't handle making a good one for them. Unless DC is outright allowed to handle one for them.

ProphetofGanja 03-26-2018 07:49 PM

I feel like somebody, somewhere, is thinking about how to turn the TMNT into a successful film franchise. How much time they spend on the project on any given day though is probably not much at this point. The Platinum Dunes films really sh!t the bed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1753569)
I'd love for this to be true; and if somebody IS working on a new TMNT movie, hopefully it will be with traditional Ninja Turtles. Small martial artists. This IS the age of Comic Book Movies; Viacom has to want to get TMNT back in theaters. If Deadpool, AntMan, and Aquaman can get huge movies, so can the TMNT!

This, exactly. I feel like somebody has raised that exact point to an executive in a boardroom, so hopefully at some point in time the right people will be put on the project and they can make it happen

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1753573)
With them making friends with DC these days, at the moment I sorta just wish the Turtles could be a part of one of their films, if their own people can't handle making a good one for them. Unless DC is outright allowed to handle one for them.

Uh, have you seen any of DC/WB's film offerings? Just terrible. Now if we're talking animated feature, straight-to-DVD, that could work. I'd check out an animated Batman/TMNT movie or possibly even better Justice League/TMNT

PApagreg 03-26-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1753562)
You are of course right on all points, Cubemeister. But I wonder if things would be different/faster with Viacom steering the ship. More money, more power, more contacts, all that jazz.

Considering how OOTS did I highly doubt it, Viacom would probably wait at least 5 years to so much as think about making another movie, especially if its a fresh start.

Sumac 03-26-2018 08:24 PM

As it usually happens in the movie industry, I suspect talks are there, but they won't come to fruition for a long time. Until they either got some talented visionary who will be able to push his project forward or until they will be convinced that TMNT is profitable again to hire some hack and quickly hack together some movie, like Bay-Turtles.

IndigoErth 03-26-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1753585)
Uh, have you seen any of DC/WB's film offerings? Just terrible. Now if we're talking animated feature, straight-to-DVD, that could work. I'd check out an animated Batman/TMNT movie or possibly even better Justice League/TMNT

I admit I haven't paid much attention to which ones belong to what company.

Krutch 03-26-2018 10:33 PM

Yeah my guess is it's being discussed but not aggressively pursued. I think the success of Rise will determine if they want to go a more grounded route or a more Mirage/IDW treatment with their next attempt.

Totally just guessing though.

newfan 03-26-2018 11:45 PM

I was wondering also if there would be something, not sure about live action close so the others if it is going to be fresh but then it seems to happen lately so maybe.
Not sure if there is more or just the same likelihood of an animated movie. Anyway, woudln't surprise me if someone is thinking about it as mentioned already, just not sure what I think on the reality of it happening very soon.

Andrew NDB 03-26-2018 11:47 PM

At this point, with things as radioactive as they are theatrically?

They are "entertaining" talks, if there even is any. But that's all. They're still waiting for the fallout to dissipate.

Wildcat 03-27-2018 01:57 AM

If anything is being done it’s probably just thinking up ideas. Although if an announcement came out later this year I would NOT be totally surprised. A lot of unexpected movie news comes along once in awhile.

Whatever the next movie is I think it’ll be more on the traditional side of things to appeal to everyone.

Doubt Rise’s success has any influence at all. The last 3 movies (including TMNT 07) seemed to be their own thing. Neither 4kids or 2012 seemed to matter. There was going to be another movie anyway.

It just got delayed after Nick bought the franchise and that turned into PD, right?

AquaParade 03-27-2018 07:55 AM

I think the good news is we have likely hit the "lowest of the low" when it comes to TMNT films. All due respect if you enjoy Platinum Dunes, but to many, the fact that they are so off-base and plummeted at the box office, means the next direction will at least feel much closer to home and comfortable. I'd think.

PApagreg 03-27-2018 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1753641)
I think the good news is we have likely hit the "lowest of the low" when it comes to TMNT films. All due respect if you enjoy Platinum Dunes, but to many, the fact that they are so off-base and plummeted at the box office, means the next direction will at least feel much closer to home and comfortable. I'd think.

I really hope the next one is more lower scale and more grounded, no more "Power Armor Shredder" or "Portal in the Sky"

AquaParade 03-27-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PApagreg (Post 1753642)
I really hope the next one is more lower scale and more grounded, no more "Power Armor Shredder" or "Portal in the Sky"

Agreed.

One thing the Baron film did so well was focus on small character moments that fleshed the brothers and the dynamics of their relationships with each other out quite nicely.

- Don and Mikey waiting for pizza/discussing Splinter's eventual absence
- Leo and Raph arguing in Aprils apartment/Raph waking up in the bath tub

Platinum Dunes really attempted nothing like this. Whenever they interacted with each other it was a brief snipped of arguing, joking, or exposition.