The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   New R-rated TMNT movie in production! (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57463)

Andrew NDB 02-28-2017 12:15 PM

New R-rated TMNT movie in production!

Well, this says so, anyway:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/r...urtles-movie#/

He just needs 20 million dollars and he will bring KRANG Industries to life.

Utrommaniac 02-28-2017 12:18 PM

It's closed, though. I can't even seen when it was started.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-28-2017 12:20 PM

I knew this was an Andrew post as soon as I saw it. Only came on to say:

"Yeah, and "Dawn of the Ninja" will soon be in print, too." :trazz:

Andrew NDB 02-28-2017 12:21 PM

He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?

Prowler 02-28-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1663729)
I knew this was an Andrew post as soon as I saw it.

Yep, same. But I honestly thought it was gonna be a "gotcha!" April Fools sort of thing. Not na actual link for some guy's indie project.

TheSkeletonMan939 02-28-2017 01:16 PM

Dammit Andrew! You made me think that we might get something worthwhile! :tlol:

This guy seems to have been pretty optimistic as to how the film world works. The reality is that you can't just raise a bunch of money, use Nickelodeon's characters, and then expect them not to have much creative input, regardless of how many backers there are. And they can flat-out say, 'no'. TMNT is box office poison for the next six or seven years.

AquaParade 02-28-2017 01:42 PM

TMNT doesn't need an "R" rating to capture the spirit of the original Mirage comics. It does need someone who respects the source material though.

RaphaelinSTL 02-28-2017 01:51 PM

Oddly enough, the Twitter page doesn't seem to have any traction to it since last summer and the page doesn't seem to play the video on the IndieGoGo...

https://twitter.com/Rated_R_TMNT

EDIT: Just noticed the "closed" status.

Andrew NDB 02-28-2017 01:55 PM

Probably Nickelodeon shut it down.

ssjup81 02-28-2017 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1663730)
He doesn't seem to understand what "millennials" are. And the Mirage comics were "gratuitously violent"? Which ones?

Ah man, don't you know? Nearly every issue. They actually used their weapons and the hits actually connected!! OMG!! The gratuitous violence!! Someone think of the children!! :P:lol:

Utrommaniac 02-28-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1663756)
TMNT doesn't need an "R" rating to capture the spirit of the original Mirage comics. It does need someone who respects the source material though.

I think an R-rated TMNT, no matter how connected to the source material it is, would just come off as "edgy" as well, simply for the R-rating.

Besides, the Mirage violence is probably a heavy PG-13 at best.

Andrew NDB 02-28-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1663773)
I think an R-rated TMNT, no matter how connected to the source material it is, would just come off as "edgy" as well, simply for the R-rating.

Besides, the Mirage violence is probably a heavy PG-13 at best.

There is no reason that a Mirage-centric movie couldn't be hard-PG-13. Though there's weird things within PG-13... you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

AquaParade 02-28-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1663774)
There is no reason that a Mirage-centric movie couldn't be hard-PG-13. Though there's weird things within PG-13... you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

Really, now?

Maybe the tmnt need an "R" more than I realize. It's highly debatable.

I would love a tmnt film with the tone and irreverence of Deadpool. Not to say they need to be the same formula.

Utrommaniac 02-28-2017 02:50 PM

That I can see working. As long as it doesn't push into EdgeLord territory of dark grittiness.

TheSkeletonMan939 02-28-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1663774)
you can quick-cut show a head shot (as long as there's no blood or gore), but you can't show someone getting kicked in the face.

I think the logic there is that the MPAA in dealing with PG-13 wants to avoid things that impressionable audience members can easily imitate. Like kicks to the head - very easy way to hurt someone, maybe very seriously. Easy to do.

sgtfbomb 02-28-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1663776)

I would love a tmnt film with the tone and irreverence of Deadpool.

It works for Deadpool because, well, Deadpool is a douche. The tone of the film fits the character. But the movie, for me, was hardly an exemplary film in the superhero genre. It worked well as a comedy. But because the film was so humor-centric, the story and action sequences lacked gravitas. It's a superhero movie for drunk college students. I don't want that to be TMNT.

TMNT is comradery and family. I don't mean "family" as in "Family film," but brotherhood. It's not "my roommate is an old lady on crack." A lot of people don't like that the Fred Wolf animated series created a connotation that TMNT was just jokes and random action. I don't see how making the jokes R-rated and making it cynical is respecting the franchise.

Maybe it's because I'm in my 30s and I have been watching R rated movies since I was 5, but the fact that a movie is R rated no longer impresses me. I don't mind that Logan is R-rated. That's interesting. But that's not what makes good films or effective films. If I like that movie, it won't be because I saw his claws go through someone's cranium. It's like the horror genre and its fans who are always clamoring for horror to be exclusively R rated. Yet, when I think of the horror films that have made me jump or have made me fear something -- and its only a handful of horror films -- most of them are PG or PG-13. I think, out of those films, Halloween is the only one that is R. That's because you don't need to see someone's intestines to scare people.

Wildcat 02-28-2017 10:36 PM

$100 tickets, free alcohol and possible nudity :lol:

Mark Cuban? He's not going to help make a TMNT movie. The Dallas Mavericks are rebuilding :lol:

$20 million, what was this guy thinking?

Candy Kappa 03-01-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Nunhchucks break bones. Swords cut. Bos crack skulls. Sais gouge.
Oh no, he's one of those guys who gouge people with batons XD

Someone wants 20 mill to make a movie they don't own the copyright to? lmao. It's even more laughable after the Axanar lawsuit.

Ninjinister 03-01-2017 01:50 AM

idk To Serve and Protect was pretty gory

sgtfbomb 03-01-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Someone wants 20 mill to make a movie they don't own the copyright to? lmao. It's even more laughable after the Axanar lawsuit.
That should've been a hint to the filmmaker to do something original instead. Independent filmmakers shouldn't even try to use anything that has copyright materials in it. Because Even down to the shirts people wear or the beers people drink. Cover that label and avoid a lawsuit.