The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Oddworld (Classics and Remasters) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57430)

Shiro Kame 02-22-2017 07:02 PM

Oddworld (Classics and Remasters)

Anyone else like the Oddworld games (Abe's Odyssey, Abe's Exodus, Munch's Odyssey, Stranger's Wrath, Nice N' Tasty, and Soulstorm)?

With the success of the remaster of Abe's Odyssey (Nice N' Tasty) and the upcoming remaster of Abe's Exodus (Soulstorm), now feels like a good time as any to talk about the series. I got most of the games other than the remasters, and they're pretty fun (if a little frustrating at times...). Given how the games are amazing in story-telling, design and gameplay, it's great that Inhabitants of Oddworld finally have a chance at completing their originally-planned quintilogy.

What do you guys think?

ProactiveMan 02-22-2017 09:36 PM

I loved the first two when they came out, but I never played any of the others. I keep meaning to play through 1&2 again, but I never seem to get around to it.

Powder 02-22-2017 09:38 PM

I've only played the original, but boy is it charming. On every level.

Candy Kappa 02-23-2017 02:22 AM

I used to play the first one a lot. the demo was my first introduction until I got the actual game

Shiro Kame 03-05-2017 01:43 PM

After playing the first three games, I can only say this:

Why have I only discovered this great franchise after over 20 years have gone by since its first game?!

While the first game was "Nintendo Hard", it had beautiful visuals, great writing, and fun gameplay; which carried over in the next games. Due to how much care and creativity that went into its games, it's a shame that it took over 6 years before they'd make another game (even if it was just an HD port). With the success of New 'n' Tasty, I hope that SoulStorm is just as (if not more) successful since not only is it a 3D HD remake of another of the original Abe games, but it's basically going to be what Lorne Lanning wanted Abe's Exoddus to be but was forced to cut out due to time constraints and hardware limits (they only had a year since Oddysee came out to make this game, forcing them to use the same engine as Exoddus' predecessor and giving them a rather tight budget. It's actually a miracle that Exoddus is still an awesome game, especially to today's many AAA titles...). It's going to be darker just like the first game and feel more like an expansion than just a graphics update. I can't wait for Autumn.

kaptainmyke 03-06-2017 08:47 AM

I loved these games. Got the platinum trophy for "New and Tasty".

Shiro Kame 04-17-2017 12:42 PM

It's coming, and it looks like the Vykkers will appear in SoulStorm.

The Deadman 04-17-2017 01:11 PM

I've played the first 2 and enjoyed the hell outta them.

Shiro Kame 10-06-2017 11:18 PM

sdp 10-07-2017 05:04 PM

I never played Oddworld but is it worth going back to now? I kind of get the feeling that it's one of those games that you had to be there at that time to really appreciate it if not it's just been done by other games better that you won't be able to "get it".

Shiro Kame 10-11-2017 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1720876)
I never played Oddworld but is it worth going back to now? I kind of get the feeling that it's one of those games that you had to be there at that time to really appreciate it if not it's just been done by other games better that you won't be able to "get it".

I only started playing it early this year, and the games still hold up by today's standard (although the first game is Nintendo Hard). I recommend giving them a go.