The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toys and Collectibles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Any Star Wars collectors? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=42729)

Leo656 08-08-2013 12:15 AM

I started collecting with Power of the Force figures, went really nuts around the time Episode I came out up until about a year later, and after that was only sporadically into it through Episodes II and III. At that point, I was collecting several toy lines at once while starting to make less and less money at work, so something had to give. I mostly focused on figures, although I did pick up a Millennium Falcon in 1999 or 2000, and collected several of the battery-powered toy lightsabers. Those things were so bad-ass until those movie replica ones started being made; by then I couldn't get one because I had to more or less stop collecting everything due to lack of funds.

I was never really hard-core, though. With lines I collect, I mostly focus on main characters in their most familiar or iconic looks, then branch out into secondary characters, variants, and more obscure or "background" characters if I can afford it and/or feel it's justified. Since I know getting everything is impossible, I try to, at best, get one of everyone "important". Star Wars became really frustrating for me, though, because between PotF and the time Episode I had been out for a year, I had many of the main characters and figured the "hard part" was over. But then they started releasing newer, better sculpts of those figures that fit in better with the Episodes I-III lines, and I felt like I'd wasted 5 years and tons of money, so I sort of just quit rather than spend a fortune collecting "better" figures of characters I already had.

It was a crazy time in my life; some paychecks, toys had more priority than food, and looking back, that's pretty silly. Although, I did have a lot more fun in general than I do now, so maybe it's since I've "matured" that I've lost perspective and been living wrong, I don't know. Due to financial reasons, I don't collect any toy lines consistently, anymore, just random things that catch my eye. I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in years. Kinda makes me sad. I used to have shelves covered in the damn things.

snake 08-11-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1135013)
So, who has some of the new black series figs? Anyone got the SDCC Boba Fett?

What are your impressions of the 6" line so far?

Pixaldan does. And they look pretty cool. My cases still aren't in :ohwell:

Walkabout 08-12-2013 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1136661)
I started collecting with Power of the Force figures, went really nuts around the time Episode I came out up until about a year later, and after that was only sporadically into it through Episodes II and III. At that point, I was collecting several toy lines at once while starting to make less and less money at work, so something had to give. I mostly focused on figures, although I did pick up a Millennium Falcon in 1999 or 2000, and collected several of the battery-powered toy lightsabers. Those things were so bad-ass until those movie replica ones started being made; by then I couldn't get one because I had to more or less stop collecting everything due to lack of funds.

I was never really hard-core, though. With lines I collect, I mostly focus on main characters in their most familiar or iconic looks, then branch out into secondary characters, variants, and more obscure or "background" characters if I can afford it and/or feel it's justified. Since I know getting everything is impossible, I try to, at best, get one of everyone "important". Star Wars became really frustrating for me, though, because between PotF and the time Episode I had been out for a year, I had many of the main characters and figured the "hard part" was over. But then they started releasing newer, better sculpts of those figures that fit in better with the Episodes I-III lines, and I felt like I'd wasted 5 years and tons of money, so I sort of just quit rather than spend a fortune collecting "better" figures of characters I already had.

It was a crazy time in my life; some paychecks, toys had more priority than food, and looking back, that's pretty silly. Although, I did have a lot more fun in general than I do now, so maybe it's since I've "matured" that I've lost perspective and been living wrong, I don't know. Due to financial reasons, I don't collect any toy lines consistently, anymore, just random things that catch my eye. I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in years. Kinda makes me sad. I used to have shelves covered in the damn things.

I hear ya man :ohwell:

Zulithe 08-14-2013 06:13 AM

Ordered all 4 Black 6" wave 1 figs on amazon. They restocked this morning. I was thinking about waiting and hoping they mark them down a bit, but every time I check they are sold out so screw it, i'll pay full price for this wave, then see if they mark them down over the next few weeks and see what the stock is like. If I see significant discounting, I'll remember that for wave 2.

Speaking of wave 2...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/im...HSA4301Blg.jpg

I lamented on getting these, as my Star Wars fandom has definitely waned over the years, but I am a sucker for 6 inch figures. If I end up not caring for wave 1 so much, I'm still getting Boba and Han no matter what. Slave Leia will have its fans but I'm just rolling my eyes :p

LincolnHawk 08-14-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1141127)
Ordered all 4 Black 6" wave 1 figs on amazon. They restocked this morning. I was thinking about waiting and hoping they mark them down a bit, but every time I check they are sold out so screw it, i'll pay full price for this wave, then see if they mark them down over the next few weeks and see what the stock is like. If I see significant discounting, I'll remember that for wave 2.

Speaking of wave 2...

I lamented on getting these, as my Star Wars fandom has definitely waned over the years, but I am a sucker for 6 inch figures. If I end up not caring for wave 1 so much, I'm still getting Boba and Han no matter what. Slave Leia will have its fans but I'm just rolling my eyes :p

Yeah, me too...I ordered them a few days ago and amazon said they would notify me when the shipped. I figured it would be awhile before they got some more in, but I was surprised this morning to find that they had shipped out today. I ordered darth maul, but I accidentally ordered 2 so I guess I'll be opening one and keeping the other. I don't normally collect Star Wars figures, but these figures look too nice to pass on. Cant wait for Bobba and Leia.

snake 08-15-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1141127)

Speaking of wave 2...

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/im...HSA4301Blg.jpg

Is anyone weirded out that we haven't gotten a 6" Vader yet?

ObiWanFan4life 08-15-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeweed101 (Post 1141971)
Is anyone weirded out that we haven't gotten a 6" Vader yet?

Perplexed: Yes
Weirded out: Hardly

snake 08-15-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life (Post 1141972)
Perplexed: Yes
Weirded out: Hardly

I am, we usually get him in the first 3 waves of a SW line.

Zulithe 08-15-2013 02:53 PM

Vader better be in wave 3...

with removable helmet or a head-swap that has the "luke in vader helmet" from ESB :p

Okay Disney... you got me... keep pumping out 6" figs and i'll stick around a while.

There are so many characters I would buy... and rebuy (I really want Jedi Knight Luke from RotJ)

snake 08-16-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1141995)
Vader better be in wave 3...

with removable helmet or a head-swap that has the "luke in vader helmet" from ESB :p

Okay Disney... you got me... keep pumping out 6" figs and i'll stick around a while.

There are so many characters I would buy... and rebuy (I really want Jedi Knight Luke from RotJ)

Figures I hope we see
1- Luke ANH clothes
2- Liea ANH
3- Darth Vader
4- Mace Windu
5- no Expanded universe stuff until these covered all 6 movies

Zulithe 08-16-2013 09:57 PM

Well, got my four wave 1 figs. Really happy with them! I don't normally care for troopers but the sand trooper is definitely the coolest. But they're all great IMO. I just hope they don't flood this line with lots of troopers instead of doing more important characters.

figs I either want or think will come soon:

C-3PO - They can't have R2 and not make him as well. He'll need to be in all vac gold metal of course!

Lando

Vader (of course)

Yoda -- yeah he'd be small (like R2) but it still needs to happen. Maybe they could include some cool stuff with him, other than walking stick and lightsaber. His Jedi Council chair?

Palpatine (RotS version)

Obi-Wan (any version, but I'd like RotS the most)

Qui-Gon

Mace Windu

snake 08-16-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1142783)
Well, got my four wave 1 figs. Really happy with them! I don't normally care for troopers but the sand trooper is definitely the coolest. But they're all great IMO. I just hope they don't flood this line with lots of troopers instead of doing more important characters.

figs I either want or think will come soon:

C-3PO - They can't have R2 and not make him as well. He'll need to be in all vac gold metal of course!

Lando

Vader (of course)

Yoda -- yeah he'd be small (like R2) but it still needs to happen. Maybe they could include some cool stuff with him, other than walking stick and lightsaber. His Jedi Council chair?

Palpatine (RotS version)

Obi-Wan (any version, but I'd like RotS the most)

Qui-Gon

Mace Windu

Nice! And about the trooper clogging thing, in the wave 2 for the 3" black series it has 5 different clones :teek:

snake 08-17-2013 02:19 AM

Sorry about the double post, but imagine what a Black Series Rancor would be like. (Besides expensive as @$%#.)

raph27 08-17-2013 07:43 AM

I'm not a big SW fan but I might have to get Leia.:P

Lemcool 08-19-2013 04:37 PM

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, with the kind of collection where you'd think there is something mentally wrong with me. Next month, I'm going to start offloading some original ('88-'92) carded turtles and will be in the market for trading for vintage Star Wars stuff. Looking forward to revisiting this thread again when I take that step. :tgrin:

snake 08-19-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemcool (Post 1144428)
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, with the kind of collection where you'd think there is something mentally wrong with me. Next month, I'm going to start offloading some original ('88-'92) carded turtles and will be in the market for trading for vintage Star Wars stuff. Looking forward to revisiting this thread again when I take that step. :tgrin:

Welcome! And are you planning on getting any of the new Black series figures?

Lemcool 08-19-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeweed101 (Post 1144518)
Welcome! And are you planning on getting any of the new Black series figures?

No, only 1985 and older for me. Since I live in Kenner country (Cincinnati), I keep plenty busy trying to track down old factory workers. It's basically like treasure hunting. Last week I picked up a speeder bike pedal car in the Kmart promotional shipping box from 1983, a Kenner Toyfair employee award, 15 Kenner catalogues, 3 sealed multi-pack villain mailers, 3 sealed Max Rebo bands, and a Jawa Sandcrawler in the box. I doubt I will ever buy any new items again with all the incredible old stuff!

snake 08-19-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemcool (Post 1144535)
No, only 1985 and older for me. Since I live in Kenner country (Cincinnati), I keep plenty busy trying to track down old factory workers. It's basically like treasure hunting. Last week I picked up a speeder bike pedal car in the Kmart promotional shipping box from 1983, a Kenner Toyfair employee award, 15 Kenner catalogues, 3 sealed multi-pack villain mailers, 3 sealed Max Rebo bands, and a Jawa Sandcrawler in the box. I doubt I will ever buy any new items again with all the incredible old stuff!

Awesome! I'd love to have a sealed Max Rebo band :D

Zulithe 08-27-2013 02:45 PM

amazon has black series 2 for pre-order now. both sizes/lines.

I ordered all 4 6" figures, they are 22.99 right now but they SHOULD drop the price down to 19.99 before release. we'll see :P

if you are into the smaller figures they are there too. just search.

snake 08-27-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulithe (Post 1148503)
amazon has black series 2 for pre-order now. both sizes/lines.

I ordered all 4 6" figures, they are 22.99 right now but they SHOULD drop the price down to 19.99 before release. we'll see :P

if you are into the smaller figures they are there too. just search.

I haven't even got my first four yet. Diamond put a delay on the case.