The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's the latest movie you've seen? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=22730)

Cure 12-21-2007 05:16 PM

What's the latest movie you've seen?

Can someone sticky this, please? I know I like to watch a lotta movies and I wanna discuss them, but I'd feel silly making a whole new topic for each of them just so they can end up with a few responses. So is it cool if we talk about every movie we've watched here? I know some people (like myself and Spit) watch plenty of movies worth discussion. If stickyage isn't a good idea, though, I'd understand.

Anyway, I just got back from watching Sweeney Todd and got BLOWN away. This movie is not for everyone for the following reasons: very song heavy (only like 5 minutes between songs. Literally.), very gorey, and...

Spoiler:
...cannibalism and incest...

...but it was very good, nonetheless. The songs were catchy. It's funny cuz some of the songs that deal with darker matters have an upbeat tune. Also, the character interactions were interesting. It's not just about Sweeney Todd, it's about several different characters and how their stories intertwine. All in all, I'd recommend this to those who can tolerate the heavy themes and gore.

Spitfire 12-21-2007 05:32 PM

Last movies I watched were last night and they were "Blade 2" and "Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back". I wanted to have some fun so that was good.

Last movie I saw in theaters was "Beowulf" which I wasn't all to impressed with. I was a fan of the story somewhat and I didn't really like the changes. The visuals however were wonderful, I saw it in 3-D.

Last really good movie I watched in theaters was "No Country For Old Men" Which featured some Oscar worthy performances especially from the main villain who played a down right scary guy. The story was also great and I loved the ending. They took a big chance with the ending it worked out.

I'll end up seeing "Sweeney Todd" soon, tomorrow I'm going to see "I Am Legend"

cowabunga14 12-21-2007 05:45 PM

Watched Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb on DVD yesterday when I got home from school and I really liked it. I can't stop talking about and quoting it, which I guess is a good thing. If you're wanting to check out some satire and probably Kubrick's best work, go out and buy it.

In school, I've gotten the opportunities to watch bits and pieces of Ratatouille, Transformers, MirrorMask, and Unforgiven. They've all been good so far.

Mecha Cow 12-21-2007 05:47 PM

I agree with Spitfire on Beowulf; it was a piss-poor adaption and a pretty but ultimately bad movie.

Just watched Catch Me if You Can on DVD again. Fun movie, nice performance by DiCaprio.

I was going to see I Am Legend tonight but that ended up not happening. I hear it's pretty decent if you haven't read the book and since I haven't I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.

*E* Cowabunga, you really should watch Unforgiven in its entirety; it's fantastic.

Roseangelo 12-21-2007 06:01 PM

I saw Pirates of the Caribbean 3 earlier this week for the first time. After being disappointed with #2, I found I liked this one quite a bit.

I've got Transformers for sometime this weekend.

Brodie 12-21-2007 06:10 PM

I guess Hatchet was the latest, and have to say, its probably the most fun I've had watching a movie lately. Its just how it was handled that was neat. Its trying to be a classic style horror flick, and it succeeds at that, for sure.

The tag line is "Its not a Remake, its not a sequel, and its not based on the Japanese one."

Peanut 12-21-2007 07:49 PM

I'm watching AVP on TV at this very moment! My friend keeps bugging me to watch it, so tonight he called me around 9 and told me it was on, so I switched it on to check it out. Other than that, the last movie I watched was The Simpsons movie. It was pretty good, it was like a couple decent episodes strung together.

Mr. Snackpants 12-21-2007 10:31 PM

GREAT THREAD!!!

I've been thinking a thread like this could be very useful, to talk about movies that probably don't need their own thread.

Last one I saw was I Am Legend. It was decent. I wanna see National Treasure 2 sometime soon.

Cure 12-21-2007 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecha Cow (Post 579298)
I agree with Spitfire on Beowulf; it was a piss-poor adaption and a pretty but ultimately bad movie.

I went to go see that in 3D, but even that wasn't enough to keep me from falling asleep.

cqb101 12-22-2007 11:04 AM

The Hellboy 2 trailer got me pumped so I went back and watched the first (which still holds up after all these viewings) and Pan's Labyrinth for some Del Toro goodness. Pan's was my favorite film of last year, I can't get enough of it.

12-22-2007 11:29 AM

For a movie in theaters, I saw I Am Legend. I don't even wanna talk about that movie anymore. Last night, Voltron and I watched Batman Begins on our friend's home theater ownage. It was unreal in HD.

raphael_is_cool 12-22-2007 11:58 AM

Last film I saw in the theatre was The Darjeeling Limited. It was okay (for a Wes Anderson film) but I would not see it again.

Spitfire 12-22-2007 02:11 PM

I just watched Hellboy last night to! It's great, good mix of action and humor. Del Toro hasn't failed me yet.

Slap-Happy 12-22-2007 02:51 PM

I just finished watching TMNT and Blades Of Glory

cqb101 12-22-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphael_is_cool (Post 579432)
Last film I saw in the theatre was The Darjeeling Limited. It was okay (for a Wes Anderson film) but I would not see it again.

Really? I loved it. Thought it was a big step up from The Life Aquatic(which I also loved).

Mecha Cow 12-22-2007 04:00 PM

Watching LotR: The Two Towers on TV right now. The weakest of the trilogy in my opinion, but still awesome.

raphael_is_cool 12-22-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cqb101 (Post 579483)
Really? I loved it. Thought it was a big step up from The Life Aquatic(which I also loved).

I'm just not a Wes Anderson fan. The only thing I admire is that he does his own thing, but there are plenty of better filmmakers and writers in that 'field'. He just retreads the same ground over and over; none of his characters stand out or resonate and he bludgeons you over the head with his 'themes'.

'Oh, I see! They were symbolically carrying baggage from family issues, and now they're free of it they literally get rid of their deceased father's luggage bags! Now I get it! Wes Anderson you are a genius!'

Venom 12-22-2007 04:43 PM

Last movie I saw at the theaters was "Transformers". Up next: "Cloverfield" :evilgrin:!

Mr. Snackpants 12-22-2007 05:45 PM

I watched the Simpsons Movie. Not a big fan of the show so I thought I'd hate it but it wasn't that bad, I enjoyed it.

Cure 12-22-2007 06:16 PM

I just saw Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. That movie is really funny, especially if you've seen Ray and Walk the Line. So many memorable parts in it, haha. I'd highly recommend it.