The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Sonic the Hedgehog (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=38938)

Donatello19 08-26-2012 05:06 PM

Sonic the Hedgehog

Is anyone here a fan of Sonic the hedgehog? As you can tell by my signature, i'm a fan! so this thread is to discuss anything and everything about Sonic the hedgehog!

The Stryker 08-26-2012 05:42 PM

Man. Sonic sure went to sh*t when Sonic Adventure came out.

Ninjinister 08-26-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stryker (Post 989020)

All those chili dogs caught up to him.

TMNT_Guy 08-26-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stryker (Post 989020)

Eh, to each his own. The Sonic Adventure series is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be(Voice Acting and Big the Cat aside). The only Sonic games I ever regretted playing are Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Riders Zero Gravity, Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. It's hard for a franchise thats lasted over 20 years to crank out gold after gold. Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine, etc).

Favorite 2D Sonic game is either Sonic the Hedgehog (Master System) or Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Favorite 3D Sonic game is Sonic Adventure 2 with Sonic Colors very closely behind.

Favorite Spin-Off game is Sonic Spinball with Sonic Riders a close second.

Favorite Animated Series are Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM), Sonic the Hedgehog the Movie and Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Both Sonic Underground and Sonic X were crap. Yes, both the original and the dub. I did like "Amy on the Beach" / "The Last Resort" however.

I haven't had a chance to play Sonic Generations yet because I don't have a 360 anymore, but it looks amazing. Anyone else excited for Sonic's appearance in Wreck-It Ralph? He even apparently has a line in the film unlike Eggman who just has a cameo.

Zany Orange Dude 08-26-2012 08:20 PM

Oh yeah I am a Sonic fan! That's actually the series I have been a fan of for the longest! I think Sonic is finally actually starting to get back on his feet again with good games! I enjoyed Unleashed ( with the exception of the million of werehog levels) and Generations.

Cure 08-26-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy (Post 989048)
Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine, etc).

You cannot seriously count those as main Mario games.

oldmanwinters 08-26-2012 08:48 PM

Didn't we already have an "Anybody like Sonic the Hedgehog" thread that went on for a long time and then eventually got locked because people just can't behave themselves when talking about the ol' Blue Blur?

Eh, nevermind. Ya'll have fun.

The Stryker 08-26-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNT_Guy (Post 989048)
It's hard for a franchise thats lasted over 20 years to crank out gold after gold. Even good ol' Mario has had some stinkers(Mario Golf 64, Mario's Time Machine ,etc)

Haaaaaaaaaaa. You're joking right?

Shark_Blade 08-26-2012 09:06 PM

Sonic > Mario.

And I love every Sonic games, flaws and all. The new ones are great to be honest : Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep. 2, etc.

Jester 08-26-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 989127)
Sonic > Mario.

Say what now? Mario owns all....

TMNT_Guy 08-26-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 989129)
Say what now? Mario owns all....

They both own.
http://gaygamer.net/sonicmario.bmp
http://earthwormjimfan.deviantart.co...nite-192147840

Eiko 08-27-2012 03:25 AM

I love Sonic the hedgehog i dont have many sonic merchandise managed to pick up a Sonic cap few weeks ago well i read his comics which i have over 200 been reading from the very first issue Sonic 2 on the mega drive is my fav Sonic game. fav Character would have to be King Elias from the comics.

The Stryker 08-27-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Blade (Post 989127)
Sonic > Mario.

And I love every Sonic games, flaws and all. The new ones are great to be honest : Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Ep. 2, etc.

Who the hell was even talking about that 'better than' nonsense?

I'm just saying its crazy to compare Sonic's near decade of below mediocre offerings to fringe Mario games like Mario goddamn Golf.

It's like saying Pokemon is a bad series because of Hey You Pikachu.

Samhain 08-27-2012 09:29 AM

I have some nostalgia for Sonic. Sonic 2 was one of my favorite games on the Genesis. As far as modern games, I really did enjoy Sonic:Colors. I have followed the Archie series since 1996.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stryker (Post 989227)
It's like saying Pokemon is a bad series because of Hey You Pikachu.

Hey now, I enjoyed that back in the day.

Darth Knuckles 08-27-2012 11:16 AM

I'm a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan! It's the only series that I could possibly love more than the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Sonic is the reason I got into video games and I really like Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, and Sonic Spinball. But I have still really cared for Sonic over the years through the Archie Comic Series. My favorite character however is Knuckles. And actually two days ago I just watched some episodes from season 2 of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. I prefer SatAM though. So yeah big Sonic fan here! :D

Zany Orange Dude 08-27-2012 03:18 PM

He is the reason I got into video games as well, Darth Knuckles.

Victorsaurus 08-27-2012 04:03 PM

I have loved Sonic since the Start.

I've been buying the Archie Comics since issue 20 something, but then I subscribed starting with #127 (I recieved #240 today).
I'm collecting the Jazwarez 3 inch figures. I have the complete STH (SATAM) series on DVD, a few GC/GBA games, some random items and a few tees.

I want the TCG/CCG and I miss the ice cream.

TurtleTitan97 08-27-2012 04:06 PM

I'm a big fan of Sonic. My favorite game is Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

Darth Knuckles 08-27-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude (Post 989376)
He is the reason I got into video games as well, Darth Knuckles.

Very cool! What are your favorite Sonic games Zany Orange Dude?

Leo656 08-28-2012 02:44 AM

I guess I'm a pretty big Sonic fan, although more the SatAM series and the comics than the games. I have all the Sonic/Knuckles/Sonic X/Sonic Universe comics until like 2 years ago. I do like most of the games a lot but I didn't have a Genesis as a kid so most of my Sonic gaming has been on various Nintendo systems through various Collections and remakes.

I will say flat-out that Sonic Adventure was, for its time, a great game and still holds up well next to most of its peers of that era. Tweak the camera a little and tighten up the collison detection and it's fine, people cry too much about anything that isn't "perfect" (as if even Mario64's camera was "perfect"). It was a little meandering and stuffed with unnecessary characters/sidequests to pad the length, but eh, I had a lot of fun with it, and it's always fun whenever I go back to it. SA2 wasn't as good, but I didn't think that was bad either. I even thought Heroes was something neat they tried, I get why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea but it made sense to me, if you HAVE to cram a Sonic game with characters that aren't Sonic, it at least made sense to have a team dynamic rather than force you to spend 2 hours playing solo as someone you don't care about just to get the "Good" ending.

Some people just won't accept Sonic in a 3D game, and I sort of get that, but I don't think gameplay issues hurt the franchise as much as Sega going crazy with having ten new non-Sonic characters in every game just to sell more toys. I'm glad to see a 2D revival of sorts, but I'm one of those people who thinks the 2D and 3D games can co-exist, as they each have their really good and really bad parts.

Speaking of, I even struggled through Secret Rings, and I'm not gonna lie, I *did* have some fun with it. Some. Although it's impossible to do so until 15 hours into it when you've unlocked basic skills like, say, JUMPING. There's a story and framework there that would've been better served by better controls.

Worst Sonic game I've played was probably the 2006 one; I at least finished Secret Rings, the controls in 2006 Sonic were so bad I gave up a few hours into it. I still plan to go back, though. Sadistic, I know. Blast kinda sucked, too, but at least it was playable. Haven't played Shadow yet, I've heard nothing but bad things. I don't really have a favorite, they're (mostly) all good in different ways.