The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What Incarnations has IDW Not Taken From Yet? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=55230)

miru 05-15-2016 11:48 PM

What Incarnations has IDW Not Taken From Yet?
 
Off the top of my head, IDW hasn't yet used the PD movies, Welsh magazine, the 2007 movie and its toyline, the US comic strip, Coming Out of Their Shells, the terrible VHS specials, the myriad original kids books, and maybe the video games. What else have they not used yet?


EDIT: Though not specifically characters, the following have been used for plot points: Image (Don as Metalhead) & The Next Mutation (Raph’s Motorcycle). The following have been used for Easter Eggs: 90s movies, 1988-1997 Playmates Toys (unless one counts the myriad characters that started there but showed up in Archie and Fred Wolf).


Edit: Don's "death" is taken from Vol. 3, thanks CyberCubed.

Edit: NOTE: International productions, like "Las Tortugas Ninjas", Legend of the Supermutants, the Fleetway comic, the Titan comic, Il Giornalino, etc. don't really count, due to the international copyright laws. Regardless, if you have suggestions for stuff from those versions, please discuss that here.

Edit: Raphael stealing a motorcycle may be a tip of the hat to Next Mutation.

Edit: An Easter egg of Jordan Perry has appeared, much like the Easter egg of a few toyline characters.

CyberCubed 05-16-2016 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miru (Post 1578640)
Off the top of my head, IDW hasn't yet used Vol. 3,

Don as Metalhead with a smashed shell is likely a homage to cyborg Don from Image. Even if it might not have been intentional, its very similar. Don gets his shell smashed and wakes up as a cyborg turtle? And they advertise that Don is "dead" which is the same thing the Image run did when they made it seem like he died.

neatoman 05-16-2016 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miru (Post 1578640)
Off the top of my head, IDW hasn't yet used TNM, the PD movies, Welsh magazine, the 2007 toyline, the US comic strip, and maybe the video games. What else have they not used yet?

Edit: Don's "death" is taken from Vol. 3, thanks CyberCubed.

Aside from maybe TNM there's not much to pull from regarding those versions.

Kingoji 05-16-2016 07:21 AM

I'd kinda like to see 2007's Winters as an initial antagonist whose goals are well-intentioned that they save from himself, who becomes a sometimes ally when dealing with corporations or high-society corruption, or someone who can help them cross countries under the guise of his historical/excavational interests.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-16-2016 09:19 AM

Yeah, the Next Mutation and the Imagi 2007 film are the only untapped mines. The other things you listed... that's like asking, "Why hasn't IDW pulled from the TMNT kiddie bedsheets yet?" :tlol:

Except, of course, for the PD movies. That's like asking why they haven't pulled from adult parodies. :tlol:

Candy Kappa 05-16-2016 09:24 AM

I haven't seen that dastardly villain Gridlock yet. :lol:

Sophie Campbell 05-16-2016 09:51 AM

I might be wrong but they haven't used anything from the first two live-action movies, they have some things unique to them like Shredder's warehouse of delinquent kids, Tatsu (who can't be used by IDW anyway), Shredder and Splinter attacking and scarring each other after Yoshi's death, Tokka and Rahzar, Dr. Perry, Raph being beaten into a coma, etc.

I'm not sure if the same goes for the third movie, that has some unique things too like the mass transference thing where the samurai and Turtles swap places, or Lord Norinaga, or Casey's ancestor.

Again, I might be wrong!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-16-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell (Post 1578720)
I might be wrong but they haven't used anything from the first two live-action movies, they have some things unique to them like Shredder's warehouse of delinquent kids, Tatsu (who can't be used by IDW anyway), Shredder and Splinter attacking and scarring each other after Yoshi's death, Tokka and Rahzar, Dr. Perry, Raph being beaten into a coma, etc.

I'm not sure if the same goes for the third movie, that has some unique things too like the mass transference thing where the samurai and Turtles swap places, or Lord Norinaga, or Casey's ancestor.

Again, I might be wrong!

Good point on the original live-action films. But honestly, I don't think there's much to take from the third movie anyway... I'd say the main building blocks that could be leveraged elsewhere are:

Tatsu, Rahzar, Tokka, Dr. Jordan Perry, and possibly the Penningtons or whoever they were...

CyberCubed 05-16-2016 12:31 PM

Rahzar and Tokka could show up, or at least Rahzar. Since IDW tends to bring in the most popular characters of each era so I figure they'll appear eventually.

Zage 05-16-2016 12:33 PM

I'd like some of the video game characters to be used/mentioned. Tora, Shogun, the generic bad guys from the first game, Aska, Sisyphus, etc.

Allio 05-16-2016 12:49 PM

Does idw Raphael have a motorcycle TNM Raphael was the first to use one

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-16-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1578773)
Does idw Raphael have a motorcycle TNM Raphael was the first to use one

The IDW Turtles don't even have a Turtle van yet. :tlol:

Allio 05-16-2016 01:00 PM

I'd like to see Winters, a human immortal that is closely connected to rat King and his family

old_hob88 05-16-2016 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1578723)
Good point on the original live-action films. But honestly, I don't think there's much to take from the third movie anyway... I'd say the main building blocks that could be leveraged elsewhere are:

Tatsu, Rahzar, Tokka, Dr. Jordan Perry, and possibly the Penningtons or whoever they were...

There's totally a Jordan perry easter egg in the donnie micro if I'm not mistaken. One of the people he chats with online

Leomaru 05-16-2016 01:03 PM

Raph borrowed a motorcycle in "The secret history of the Foot clan."

CyberCubed 05-16-2016 01:03 PM

Raphael driving a motorcycle started in Next Mutation and then was used in the 2k3 series and again in the 2007 movie.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-16-2016 01:05 PM

The thing with TMNT III is that other than a host of forgettable original characters, the movie is a very watered-down version of the vastly superior "Masks" two-parter from Mirage.

Renet's already shown up, Savanti Romero is apparently going to debut in "Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything", and Chote is just random.

There's nothing to adapt from there.

neatoman 05-16-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1578775)
The IDW Turtles don't even have a Turtle van yet. :tlol:

I tolerate the vehicles in the cartoons but I feel they should not be included in the comics.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-16-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1578793)
I tolerate the vehicles in the cartoons but I feel they should not be included in the comics.

Well, I wouldn't mind them getting a van. Not a pimped-out customized ride, just some anonymous van with tinted windows so April doesn't have to drive them everywhere. :tlol:

CyberCubed 05-16-2016 01:41 PM

The only thing they'll probably take from any of the movies at some point is Rahzar/Tokka. They already said they can't use Tatsu. And we certainly don't need to see anything from the Michael Bay movies like Eric Sachs.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.