The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Nickelodeon's TMNT Five Year Anniversary (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58843)

ToTheNines 09-28-2017 02:51 PM

Nickelodeon's TMNT Five Year Anniversary

While the official premier was on 9-29, "Rise of The Turtles" Part 1 debuted on Nickelodeon 5 years ago today. Please share thoughts, memories, reviews, etc.

I'll be ordering a pizza and watching the first 2 episodes tonight. And maybe a few more. I'm definitely starting a marathon of the whole show, now that it's all out.

If anyone else is, I've found a much better episode order for season 1 if you're interested. No disc switching required:

Rise
Old Friend, New Enemy
Metalhead
I think his name is Baxter Stockman
Turtle Temper
Never Say Xever
Monkey Brains
The Gauntlet

Then after that just swap New Girl in Town and I, Monster and you're good to go.

Autbot_Benz 09-28-2017 02:53 PM

I remember watching the premiere it was around the time my family and I were getting ready to move to California. I hadn't been following turtles much so I watched the first episode and got hooked and became a turtle fan once again

CyberCubed 09-28-2017 03:06 PM

I actually just rewatched the first two episodes of the series yesterday. Hard to believe its been 5 years already.

Snakeweed's human form oddly made me nostalgic, we only saw it for like 1 episode. I also literally forgot Snakeweed actually talked in his first episode as a mutant, in his later appearances didn't he lose his ability to speak or am I remembering wrong? I seem to remember Snakeweed losing his mind and becoming a monster as time went on.

Kit31 09-28-2017 03:30 PM

I started watching the series from the beginning two nights ago, but tomorrow I'm planning on binge-watching season one again. I don't know if pizza will be involved or not.

I remember watching the first two episodes five years ago and after the first time through I still had my doubts about the series. I thought it was a little too weird for me (and this is after just adoring the 2003 series). I decided to watch the premiere again and I liked it better. The anime expressions were still very distracting, though. So, one more time that week watching that episode and then I really liked it. I was definitely looking forward to the next episode.

So it took a little while to get into it, but then it ended up surpassing 2003. The bottom line is with me, I may not like something too well at first, but if I give it a second chance, nine times out of ten my opinion will change. Third time's the charm for this series. :)

MrTMNT2012 09-28-2017 03:50 PM

I watched the premiere while eating pizza...

Standard.

(Rise of the Turtles Part 1 is still the best Episode of the Series btw.)

IndigoErth 09-28-2017 03:55 PM

Too bad I didn't know of it yet and wasn't back with TMNT quite yet. Not until I'd come across it early the following year.

Still kicking myself being late to it as I was at the NYCC that year. Was I back with TMNT I could have tried to at least hit that panel and make my sitting at a vendor booth the rest of the time a little more worth it. *sigh*

ToTheNines 09-28-2017 05:27 PM

Just started episode 1. Got very nostalgic over the opening scene. It was one of the few scenes Nick released early, along with the first fight in the Kraang building. I watched the holy **** out of them both.

CyberCubed 09-28-2017 05:35 PM

I am up to the Rockwell/Dr. Falco episode. I noticed they already foreshadowed April's psychic/telepathic powers as early as this episode. It also explains why she improved so fast, I don't think we found out she was enchanced by the Kraang till later in the season.

Another thing about this show, the Foot/Shredder are barely in the first half of the season. They fight the Kraang in most episodes, it's almost like they were the main antagonists at first. So far the Turtles only fought Foot Soldiers in 1 episode, the Chris Bradford ep.

Cure 09-28-2017 06:07 PM

I remember the ill beats that played over the scene of them running around the rooftops for the first time. ****ing dope.

ToTheNines 09-28-2017 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1718613)
I remember the ill beats that played over the scene of them running around the rooftops for the first time. ****ing dope.

Yes, great track. Also the one that plays when they're flashing their weapons just before going out is sweet. It got used a couple other times throughout the series.

asfaloth12 09-28-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1718600)
Just started episode 1. Got very nostalgic over the opening scene. It was one of the few scenes Nick released early, along with the first fight in the Kraang building. I watched the holy **** out of them both.

I remember when those scenes had come out. I had been fan of the 2003 series, and wasn't too optimistic about Nickelodeon making a new series. That changed after I saw those scenes. The opening scene does a great job of establishing the turtles' personalities, and the Kraang building fight was hilarious (especially Mikey!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1718620)
Yes, great track. Also the one that plays when they're flashing their weapons just before going out is sweet. It got used a couple other times throughout the series.

This show actually had some really cool music. I also enjoyed the scenes you mentioned. I also liked this one part in Mousers Attack! where Leo and Raph are running from the mousers, trying to escape them on the rooftops (if I remember correctly); the accompanying track was so cool.

ToTheNines 09-28-2017 07:16 PM

Hm, don't remember that one from mousers attack. I'm 5 episodes in though, I should be there tomorrow, hopefully.

Also just remembered the first trailer. Another good throwback.

CyberCubed 09-28-2017 07:17 PM

This is something I've forgotten as the show went on, but does anyone notice far more anime expressions or "Teen Titans Go" esque scenes on the characters than in later seasons? It seems like they gradually stopped doing this as the show progressed. For example there's the scene where all of Michelangelo's teeth fall out in a comedic fashion...they would never do something like that in the later season.

There's also the "huge chibi heads" or the eyes changing similar to the way Teen Titans does. I never actually realized they toned this stuff down as the show went on.

ToTheNines 09-28-2017 07:24 PM

Yeah, definitely. I feel like they didn't do it at all in seasons 4 or 5.

asfaloth12 09-28-2017 07:30 PM

ToTheNines,
Thanks for posting that. I do remember watching it, now that you bring it up.

CyberCubed,
Yes, actually. I noticed that during my re-watch of the series earlier this year (on second thought, it may have started late last year. It was fun; I would just take my DVDs, and watch a disc or two over the weekends, depending on how much time I had, and whether I was on call; it was something to do while I was finishing up my training and waiting to finally re-join my husband. Frankly, I was a little embarrassed to watch them with my husband, though he did watch a couple of the season 4 space arc episodes with me when they aired :lol:).
Anyway... yes, it was definitely more prevalent earlier in the series, particularly during season 1. We would still get some of the anime stuff later on, but you're right. They did decrease it as the show went on.

newfan 09-29-2017 12:27 AM

Shows sometimes do seem more serious as they go along.

As I hadn't discovered the show at the time I can't share memories but I often see season 1 and 2 eps as my youngest puts them on.

As for the music used in the show, agreed. I liked the tune they used when they were first driving the shellraiser and the one in 'I think his name is Baxter Stockman' (when they were on the rooftop and Mikey thanked Donnie for the new tunes)

Faster and Cheaper 09-29-2017 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1718637)
Yeah, definitely. I feel like they didn't do it at all in seasons 4 or 5.

There was at least one in season 5 because I did it :D. My first lead who had been on and off the show throughout season 1 had to tell me how to do it, and he remarked that it had been a long time since he had done one.

Kit31 09-29-2017 02:58 AM

I noticed periodically they would throw those goofy expressions in, even in later seasons, but they were so subtle for the most part. I was so glad they toned them down from the beginning of season 1. They were really distracting to me.

DestronMirage22 09-29-2017 09:25 AM

Hard to believe it's already been five years.
Time sure flies.

ABrown 09-29-2017 09:42 AM

It must've been Friday 9/28/12 that I'm remembering. Because I remember the first two episodes airing on a Friday night.