The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Netflix Luke Cage series (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=53190)

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 10-01-2016 09:05 PM

Turns out, this show is going terrible places.

Diamondback and his role/character is just...

Sigh. This is Netflix's Spiderman 3. I am really really close to turning it off. But Mariah's rise to power with Shades is awesome.

Oh, and why is Misty such a b!tch? This is poorly written.

TurtleTitan97 10-01-2016 09:55 PM

Just finished the season. SWEET CHRISTMAS! I did not see that ending coming.

Dimondback was a pretty cool character. Bring on Season 2, I hear we could get Luke and Danny teaming up and forming Heroes for Hire.

Till then I'll just settle for reading the old Luke Cage comics.

Andrew NDB 10-01-2016 10:44 PM

Watching episode 1 now... a little confused. This is obviously after the Avengers and after at least season 1 of Daredevil... but is this after or before Jessica Jones?

Cure 10-01-2016 11:09 PM

After Jessica Jones.

Andrew NDB 10-02-2016 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1629036)
After Jessica Jones.

4 episodes in. No, it can't be after Jessica Jones.

ToTheNines 10-02-2016 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1629035)
Watching episode 1 now... a little confused. This is obviously after the Avengers and after at least season 1 of Daredevil... but is this after or before Jessica Jones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1629062)
4 episodes in. No, it can't be after Jessica Jones.

I am confused by your confusion. Luke's working for Pop because his bar blew up, Pop makes reference to his "superpowered rebound chick", when Claire shows up she talks about The Hand attack on the hospital (and DD S2 is after JJ), plus when Claire and Luke met in JJ they didn't know each other, but they do now. And Reva is already dead...

What indicated otherwise to you?

I might make an MCU chronology thread, or at least a watch order, if anyone's interested. But here's a glimpse at the Netflix stuff:

Daredevil S1 (Fall-Winter 2014)
Jessica Jones (January 2015 into Spring)
Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Daredevil S2 (6 months after S1 into Christmas 2015)
Luke Cage (Fall-Winter 2015)

TonySiegel 10-02-2016 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1629066)
I am confused by your confusion. Luke's working for Pop because his bar blew up, Pop makes reference to his "superpowered rebound chick", when Claire shows up she talks about The Hand attack on the hospital (and DD S2 is after JJ), plus when Claire and Luke met in JJ they didn't know each other, but they do now. And Reva is already dead...

What indicated otherwise to you?

I might make an MCU chronology thread, or at least a watch order, if anyone's interested. But here's a glimpse at the Netflix stuff:

Daredevil S1 (Fall-Winter 2014)
Jessica Jones (January 2015 into Spring)
Age of Ultron
Ant-Man
Daredevil S2 (6 months after S1 into Christmas 2015)
Luke Cage (Fall-Winter 2015)

They also mention Luke getting shot with the shotgun...

Luke Cage is set after Jessica Jones...

Powder 10-02-2016 04:51 PM

I'm 6 episodes in. It's pretty good, I'll see it through to the end, but it's not nearly as dope as the trailers led me to believe it would be. Unfortunately I think the lead is the weakest actor of the bunch, though he's not bad. Find myself wanting a bit more action, less tropes/cliches. Love the soundtrack & general aesthetic, that there are lots of morals & heart injected into it, the action is quite good. I have had zero experience with the comics, just for the record.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 10-02-2016 04:59 PM

Diamondback's final costume is the worst. Just the worst.

Oh, and the soundtrack at times is bizarre. I like a lot of the soul and R&B and other musical numbers that accompany the episodes, especially in Harlem's Paradise, but a lot of times it bizarrely clashes with the action.

I think my final opinion is that story started strong but became overly complicated, coincidental, and cliche when Diamondback was introduced. Should've kept it simple with Mariah and Cottonmouth and Shades.

Cylons' Rankings:

#1. Jessica Jones
#2. Daredevil (season 1)
#3. Luke Cage
#4. Daredevil (season 2)

plastroncafe 10-02-2016 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1629200)
Diamondback's final costume is the worst. Just the worst.

Oh, and the soundtrack at times is bizarre. I like a lot of the soul and R&B and other musical numbers that accompany the episodes, especially in Harlem's Paradise, but a lot of times it bizarrely clashes with the action.

I think my final opinion is that story started strong but became overly complicated, coincidental, and cliche when Diamondback was introduced. Should've kept it simple with Mariah and Cottonmouth and Shades.

Cylons' Rankings:

#1. Jessica Jones
#2. Daredevil (season 1)
#3. Luke Cage
#4. Daredevil (season 2)

I'd swap JJ and Daredevil one, but the other two are dead on.

Andrew NDB 10-02-2016 05:57 PM

Does it look like to anyone else that the Shades actor is what you'd get if young Mickey Rourke had a baby with young Phil Coulson?

PApagreg 10-02-2016 07:03 PM

I second that Striker's suit was really Goofy and Misty turning into a b"tch came out of nowhere but this series was really good I give it an 8.5/10. Here is my rating for the show

DD-Season 1
DD-Season 2 Punisher bits
Jessica Jones/Luke Cage
DD-Season 2 Elecktra bits

ToTheNines 10-02-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1629197)
I'm 6 episodes in. It's pretty good, I'll see it through to the end, but it's not nearly as dope as the trailers led me to believe it would be. Unfortunately I think the lead is the weakest actor of the bunch, though he's not bad. Find myself wanting a bit more action, less tropes/cliches. Love the soundtrack & general aesthetic, that there are lots of morals & heart injected into it, the action is quite good. I have had zero experience with the comics, just for the record.

Yeah, I was hoping for way more classic rap. At least what we did get was mostly Wu Tang. Can't complain there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1629200)
coincidental

That was my main beef. I'm trying to wrap my head around why Striker ended up in Harlem. So Luke breaks outta prison, no one knows where he is, but out of all the cities in the country, all the boroughs in NYC, all the neighborhoods in Manhattan... Diamondback just happens to start moving in on the organized crime where Luke lives? Fred Wolf level logic.

plastroncafe 10-02-2016 08:16 PM

I kind of figured everyone was converging on New York because of Avenger level crap. All the rebuilding, the fall of Fisk.

PApagreg 10-02-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1629245)
I kind of figured everyone was converging on New York because of Avenger level crap. All the rebuilding, the fall of Fisk.

Don't forget Diamondback is an arms dealer so there is probably a crap ton of Chitari metal waiting to be scavenged

Powder 10-03-2016 08:48 AM

Finished it. Bleh. A decent watch, but it could've been soooo much better.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 10-03-2016 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1629314)
Finished it. Bleh. A decent watch, but it could've been soooo much better.

Curious, P, what were your issues? Different than mine and others, or a lot of the same criticisms?

ToTheNines 10-03-2016 02:14 PM

I'm done, I liked it. For all the stilted references to Avengers these shows like to make, I really wish someone would have brought up the Hulk v Abomination fight... since that happened right in Harlem just a year before "The Incident".

Cottonmouth was a great character. I was cool with his fate, he was never gonna go toe to toe with Luke.

Mariah was evil as hell, excited for more of her.

Diamondback was corny as hell. Dude just completely hammed it up. Whereas you really felt bad for Cottonmouth being a good kid just raised by ****** people, DB just had silly daddy issues. Boo hoo.

I did feel for him more once they flashed back to their teenage years, and maybe there was more to the whole frame job, but his motivation just didn't resonate.

His suit was very comic booky lol. At least Bobby made fun of it. Too bad that final showdown wasn't more brutal.

Spoiler:
Bummer ending. I wanted to see Pop's reopened as Heroes for Hire at the end. Oh well, we know it's coming :)

I wonder if their gonna have Misty and Danny get together in this series? I can't picture Missick and Finn Jones together. I also wonder who Luke will end up with, Claire or Jessica?

Last thing. Anyone notice who was offering those martial arts lessons at the end? Coleen Wing! Claire really is the Netflix Nick Fury lol.

Jester 10-04-2016 08:58 PM

"There's baby diapers in here man!"

Autbot_Benz 10-05-2016 01:03 AM

I just finished it I loved it. Its my second favorite besides Daredevil. I loved the Urban feel to it. I do agree it felt they used the N word as much as Trump Rally would. I loved Theo Rossi's Shades a great role for him. Theo was Juice in Sons of Anarchy so it was nice to see him play the bad guy. Diamond back was Corny Luke was Awesome Mariah was well done such a slimy politician.

1. DareDevil Season's 1+2
2. Luke Cage
3. Jessica Jones