The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How do you feel about polygamy? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60167)

Andrew NDB 06-29-2018 12:25 PM

How do you feel about polygamy?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/...38_636x382.jpg

Like, where do you come down on it? If your daughter wanted to openly date two dudes at once, would you be cool with it? And to what extent, like when marriage comes into the equation? Should people be legally allowed to marry more than one person? If yes, should there be a limit?

FredWolfLeonardo 06-29-2018 12:41 PM

Traditional Biblical Polygny is awesome and every man's biggest fantasy (don't lie, you want it) but everything else thats polygamous is immmmmmooooral.

Andrew NDB 06-29-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1767361)
Polygny is awesome but not Polyandry is immoral.

What is Polyandry?

Prowler 06-29-2018 12:44 PM

I wouldn't partake in it. Don't have a son/daughter, but I'm gonna guess I'd not like the idea.

FredWolfLeonardo 06-29-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1767362)
What is Polyandry?

Polygny: man with multiple wives.

Polyandry: Woman with muliple husbands.

Don't know what it would be called for same sex.

Andrew NDB 06-29-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1767366)
Polygny: man with multiple wives.

Polyandry: Woman with muliple husbands.

Don't know what it would be called for same sex.

So you're for it if it's a dude with multiple wives but against it if it's a lady with multiple husbands?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 06-29-2018 12:53 PM

Andrew, I gotta ask... what made you think of this poll question? :tlol: :tlol: :tlol:

Andrew NDB 06-29-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1767370)
Andrew, I gotta ask... what made you think of this poll question? :tlol: :tlol: :tlol:

Stay on topic, you cad! ;)

TurtleWA 06-29-2018 01:32 PM

Whatever makes people happy. As long as it doesn’t hurt me I fine with it.

My immediate gut reaction would be against anything that might cause my children ridicule. I’d get over it quickly and support them. If it’s what they want.

It would not be easy knowing many would judge them.

FredWolfLeonardo 06-29-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1767367)
So you're for it if it's a dude with multiple wives but against it if it's a lady with multiple husbands?

Yup. A key that can work on many locks is great but a lock that can be opened by multiple keys, well you know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1767370)

Quote:

every man's biggest fantasy (don't lie, you want it).

Andrew NDB 06-29-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Traditional Biblical Polygny is awesome and every man's biggest fantasy (don't lie, you want it)

I don't, really. It's one of those things that sounds way better in fantasy than reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1767373)
Yup. A key that can work on many locks is great but a lock that can be opened by multiple keys, well you know...

Interesting thought process.

TurtleWA 06-29-2018 01:48 PM

Quote:

A key that can work on many locks is great

So like a skeleton key?

1. “a key designed to fit many locks by having the interior of the bit hollowed”
2. “a key with nearly the whole substance of the bit filed away so that it may open various locks
“

plastroncafe 06-29-2018 02:06 PM

I know a bunch of folks in the scene, and they're all pretty happy about it.
It did make that whole "time of the cuck" thing really entertaining for me though, because all the actual cuckolds I know aren't complaining.

My issue with institutional polygyny is that it usually comes hand-in-hand with slut shaming/objectification for women, and marginalization/banishment for the men.
See also the Lost Boys of Mormon Fundamentalism.

But if there's folks out there who want to live that way, and do so as consenting adults? I say let'em.

On a biological note, there's some interesting data regarding sperm competition which indicates that monogamous, or polygynous, relationship structures aren't exactly the default for our species.

IndigoErth 06-29-2018 02:10 PM

A human "skeleton key" doesn't sound like much of a key then, and I'm not too keen on sharing.

I'm not in support of it and its old roots are in women being regarded as property. But I'm not going to judge the life choices of strangers.

Family or friend I might question it, and with family I might not approve, but I wouldn't try to stop them from making their own choices.

Quote:

Wtf.

triplexxx 06-29-2018 03:53 PM

Should be in "Everything Else" not "Current Events"

To answer it: To each, their own. As long as it doesn't result in STDs or unwanted pregnancy.

CyberCubed 06-29-2018 04:43 PM

People actually do this and it's a lot more common than you think, the difference is they don't get married so you don't hear about it. There's tons of people, particularly lesbians, in threeway relationships at the same time.

Honestly, who cares? Obviously a man with two or more girls is going to raise a bit more eyebrows if he tried to marry them, but other than that threeway relationships aren't THAT bizarre. They usually end quickly because one person tends to get jealous of the other or just grows out of it and wants someone to themselves, etc.

I feel like this is an early 90's Jerry Springer question. However in the modern year of 2018, this just gets a "shrug" from me.

Sumac 06-29-2018 05:39 PM

If people can handle it, why not?

On the other hand, in most cases sooner or later desire to be "the one and only" kicks in and then you will get a **** ton of trouble.

wpugh2424 06-29-2018 05:48 PM

I agree with TURTLEWA
I don't care what you do as long as you are not causing trouble for someone else and you contribute to society. Could care less

Leo656 06-29-2018 06:18 PM

Like most types of relationships, it sounds better on paper than it would ever work in practice.

Humans are jealous and possessive by nature. Everything I've read on the subject says that these kinds of relationships can start off "Just Fine", but after a while one person or the other is always going to get pissed that they're not receiving 100% of the other person's attention.

Once we start seeing a string of numerous people who can say, "I've been in a happily-polygamous relationship for 50 years, and we're all wonderfully happy," I may change my feelings. But for now, calling it based solely on what I've seen, I'm gonna say it doesn't work long-term. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

I think it says a lot about a person who would go looking for that kind of relationship, as well. Nothing good.

FredWolfLeonardo 06-29-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1767405)
People actually do this and it's a lot more common than you think, the difference is they don't get married so you don't hear about it. There's tons of people, particularly lesbians, in threeway relationships at the same time.

The most common form of polygamy is actually one man being married to multiple women, and is most common in Africa and the Middle East.