The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Rise of the TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New Show coming in 2018 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57475)

Coola Yagami 08-03-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1704338)
Don't play. We all know you'll be falling over yourself defending the **** outta Rise and insisting that it runs for 7 seasons by this time next year.

This. So much this. And then whenever someone finds fault with the show he will either ignore it or act like something's wrong with the person because it is simply impossible for the show to have any kind of faults whatsover.

Panda_Kahn_fan 08-03-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1704330)
The problem is it seems like those powers will be a staple of the show. Previously they only existed for one season or arc, but not an entire show. What would be the point of the Turtles doing ninjitsu if they just have magic powers that could solve everything? That's where the problem lies for a show built around it.

This isn't Dragonball Z.

The problem with this is, most ninjas in fiction, if you've followed Japanese martial arts storytelling, is the ninjas usually use tricks that blur the lines between 'tricks' and 'magic'. Having ninjas with 'ninja powers' or 'ninja magic' (jutsus/techniques) is not that much of a stretch. it's debatable wither the use of such powers in a TMNT story is a good or bad thing, but it can go overboard.

Aaaaand there's that stupid thread tag again. I'm not blindly defending a show I haven't seen, I'm discussing the storytelling merits of the martial arts trope of 'ninja powers/jutsus' in TMNT. I am continually impressed with the maturity level of some posters around here.

Vegita-San 08-03-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1704366)
This. So much this. And then whenever someone finds fault with the show he will either ignore it or act like something's wrong with the person because it is simply impossible for the show to have any kind of faults whatsover.

unfortunately this is not delegated to just one person. it's a constant to anyone who dares to have a negative opinion about something. you can still dislike something and be curious about what happens just to follow the current state of the franchise.

sadly, over reacting too such things to the point of hysteria rather than ignoring them if they bother you is the new norm. i sometimes feel like forums need a 'positive' and 'negative' section just to keep the peace.

biganimefan 08-03-2017 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1704385)
unfortunately this is not delegated to just one person. it's a constant to anyone who dares to have a negative opinion about something. you can still dislike something and be curious about what happens just to follow the current state of the franchise.

sadly, over reacting too such things to the point of hysteria rather than ignoring them if they bother you is the new norm. i sometimes feel like forums need a 'positive' and 'negative' section just to keep the peace.

Well, of course! Didn't you know that not liking a certain aspect of the TMNT is a grave sin?

oldmanwinters 08-03-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan (Post 1704374)
The problem with this is, most ninjas in fiction, if you've followed Japanese martial arts storytelling, is the ninjas usually use tricks that blur the lines between 'tricks' and 'magic'. Having ninjas with 'ninja powers' or 'ninja magic' (jutsus/techniques) is not that much of a stretch. it's debatable wither the use of such powers in a TMNT story is a good or bad thing, but it can go overboard.

Indeed, the list of pop-culture ninjas that don't use magic is probably shorter than the ones that do. I think it best if the new show integrates magic powers as a part of the Turtles' abilities rather than the main gimmick like how it was in the 5th season of the 4Kids toon.

CyberCubed 08-03-2017 11:41 AM

It all depends on execution. If the magic powers are used constantly, then it isn't Ninja Turtles anymore. Even in the 4kids series the Turtles didn't even master their magic abilities until halfway into it, and since it was only a short 12 episode season, it didn't matter much since it was over after only one short arc. Had they kept those powers into Fast Forward or beyond, then it would have been annoying.

eskater 08-03-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisKosh (Post 1664365)
Of course I'll give it a go but my gut reaction is that it doesn't sound very good to me.

I just want volume 4 of the Mirage comics to be turned into a show for teenagers and adults.

YES TO THE SECOND PARAGRAPH 100x
I'll still give it a go and maybe a more comedy leaning show would be "ok" but my gut feels funny on this one honestly.

ZariusTwo 08-04-2017 05:21 AM

The Turtles have mastered the four magics

MAY CAUSE DROWZINESS

senpai 08-05-2017 09:03 PM

I was hoping for some blood and guts but if it's anything like TTG then it'll at least have it's charm... :tsad:

CyberCubed 08-05-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1705111)
I was hoping for some blood and guts

???

Why on earth would you expect blood and guts from a Saturday Morning cartoon show to begin with?

Ashwolf 08-05-2017 09:08 PM

uhhh, because some of us are wanting more than another show thats specifically aimed at little kids....

CyberCubed 08-05-2017 10:38 PM

What on earth are people expecting? It's still a cartoon.

The Nick show already pushed the boundaries in some episodes in terms of violence, with actual death, impaling, hard-hitting attacks, bruises, broken arms, etc. in various episodes.

Powder 08-05-2017 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashwolf (Post 1705114)
uhhh, because some of us are wanting more than another show thats specifically aimed at little kids....

Wanting & expecting are two very different things.

There will never be a TMNT show that isn't aimed at kids. If it wasn't for toy sales, there would be no corporate interest in the property.

Shark_Blade 08-06-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1705142)
What on earth are people expecting? It's still a cartoon.

We expect BETTER of course.

Yes it's a cartoon, but I don't want dumbed down pointless cartoons similar in vein to Teen Titans Go! which has no weight on story whatsoever.

Wouldn't it be better if TMNT has writing quality like Legend of Korra, for example? Stories that are memorable and has meaning like the TMNT Mirage and TMNT IDW comics?

Konchadunga 08-06-2017 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1705150)
Wanting & expecting are two very different things.

There will never be a TMNT show that isn't aimed at kids. If it wasn't for toy sales, there would be no corporate interest in the property.

Then again, everyone from the first time TMNT was popular is now an adult, and many of them still like and buy Turtle toys. For presumably these people, there are more expensive toys with better articulation, toys based on the Mirage era, and video games that skew older (although not by too much). With this segment of the market taken into consideration, I'd say a more mature TMNT show is more feasible now than it used to be, although obviously not on Nickelodeon.

I remember back when Nick first bought this property, there was no shortage of jokes about how it would be a caricatured, Spongebob-eque comedy show. In fact, the show we got was something...other than that, in one way or another. When you look at the shorts, though, you see a lot more of Nick's trademark pedigree, and I wouldn't be surprised if the next show is similar.

RaphaelinSTL 08-06-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan (Post 1703888)
The people who made the Bay Films are so out of touch with reality it hurts. They treated TMNT as a cheap cash grab, and it backfired on them.

As to the new show, I want to see what the new show is ACTUALLY like, before I complain or praise. Then I'll express my excitement and/or displeasure.

This is pretty much my take on it as well. I fell out of the Nick show around season 3, so I should probably jump back into it again before the new one starts. I'm not expecting anything amazing ... but at the very minimum I hope it's entertaining.

It's a shame Nick has such a hold on the property within the current realm that there would never be a chance for something more older fan demographic to be created - animation wise.

IndigoErth 08-06-2017 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1705142)
It's still a cartoon.

So is the likes of South Park. Gonna be a long time before anyone is brave enough to do an adult-aimed TMNT. (I don't think it's impossible... many shows, including more mature cartoons, exist without needing to cater to children for toy sales and still tap into merchandise. Although this one has the perks that there are adults who'd still buy toys related to it, so...)

CyberCubed 08-06-2017 01:19 PM

I don't know what the 2018 show will be like, but the current Nick cartoon was written with tons of adult themes, violence, death, and so forth. It only had the usual kid stuff with Mikey's constant banter/stupid moments to remind you you're watching a show aimed at children, but other than that and some goofy moments sprinkled throughout various episodes, the show was designed for people of all ages to enjoy.

newfan 08-06-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1705269)
I don't know what the 2018 show will be like, but the current Nick cartoon was written with tons of adult themes, violence, death, and so forth. It only had the usual kid stuff with Mikey's constant banter/stupid moments to remind you you're watching a show aimed at children, but other than that and some goofy moments sprinkled throughout various episodes, the show was designed for people of all ages to enjoy.

I felt that about the show too.

I'm just curious though, I've seen on here that the current show was always planned to be a 5 year show but I did read a thread on another site that it was cancelled due to complaints from parents about Splinter and Shredders death being too much. Just made me wonder if parents actually have complained, maybe that is why the new show is younger.....or is it just that the current one has simply run it's course and the younger show is just a new take on it.

ToTheNines 08-06-2017 03:26 PM

If you saw today's episode, you'd know that even if there were complaints about the violence, they were ignored.