The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61400)

Vicky82 05-13-2019 12:50 PM

Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie discussion

With the movie being released digitally tomorrow, thought it was best to do a separate post for discussion.

Also this thread will have spoilers so don't come in here if you don't want to be spoiled.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-13-2019 12:55 PM

Great. I like the idea of separating pre-release speculations (like "What will it be about?") with actual post-release discussions ("Did you like it or not?").

DonnieTello 05-14-2019 03:51 AM

I don't normally nerdgasm, but I did when Donnie said bossa nova in this one. Like a genuine involuntary gasp of shock and awe. Oh yeah, and it's a good movie. I would say a little better than Turtles Forever.

newfan 05-14-2019 09:16 AM

Is it wrong that I didn't want to see Batman beat Shredder in their first fight?:lol: Team turtles! Obviously I don't want the side to win though.
Should Shredder have been better against Batman?

I'll say it one last time,.....Donnie's head! Anyway I can get past it, watching the rest of it.

Edit: A lot as I expected, not bad.

Funny how Donnie kept insisting it was 'anti-ooze' and Batgirl called it Retro Mutagen.
Spoiler:
Given the drawing of Splinter we saw in a past story I am kinda glad he wasn't in it, I liked that Leo mentioned him a lot though

AquaParade 05-14-2019 10:02 AM

If this is the best TMNT cartoon ever made, I'll watch it.

But since that's not too high of a bar, lovely nostalgia aside, I'm really not all that interested otherwise.

Excited to hear what you all think though.

Allio 05-14-2019 11:22 AM

credits was pretty awesome

Spoiler:
They show classic Batman/TMNT comic book covers redone in to incorporate the other team.

For example it showed the Mirage Raphael Micro and instead of Casey Jones it shows Raphael with Nightwing

Vicky82 05-14-2019 12:43 PM

Really enjoyed it and there's possibility of a sequel.

DonnieTello 05-14-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1806182)
Really enjoyed it and there's possibility of a sequel.

There was a sequel tease? That's amazing. Hopefully they adapt Batman vs. TMNT 2 so we can have a Donatello movie.

oldmanwinters 05-14-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnieTello (Post 1806184)
There was a sequel tease? That's amazing. Hopefully they adapt Batman vs. TMNT 2 so we can have a Donatello movie.

Let's hope they do Donatello more justice if they do adapt that storyline into animation.

Vicky82 05-14-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnieTello (Post 1806184)

Yeah it was after the end credits.

Allio 05-14-2019 01:31 PM

considering it showed

Spoiler:
jokerfied shredder

the sequel will be quite different

newfan 05-14-2019 02:13 PM

I didn't wait for the end to see, not sure I like the sound of what I just read in the post above though.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 05-14-2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allio (Post 1806193)
considering it showed

Spoiler:
jokerfied shredder

the sequel will be quite different

The Batman Who Laughs versus the Joker Who Shreds: Dawn of WTF

oldmanwinters 05-14-2019 02:31 PM

Can I get a SPOILER'd list of which characters appear in the film?

neatoman 05-14-2019 02:54 PM

Judging from the color pallete and character design, I thought this was gonna be a kids' movie. Imagine my surprise seeing blood gush from a broken nose within the first 8 minutes, imagine the one I got from the guy getting stabbed in the forehead 2 minutes later. Then the... I'm not gonna spoil it but it certainly pushes it over the egde of child friendly. Also "hell" not being substituted with "shell". I kind of assumed Nickelodeon was going loosen the child friendly restrictions for TMNT cartoons sooner or later, I just didn't think it would be this one. Or maybe WB had full creative control over this one, either way I approve.

Speaking of approval, I don't really have any problems with most of the changes from the comic. I don't like that some characters were removed/reduced but otherwise it's fine. The removal of the multiverse aspect is probably for the best, it was such an uninteresting distraction anyway. The implication that the TMNT are part of the DC universe might seem strange but the other DC characters aren't part of it, so it's not really worth thinking about. It's worth it because it means we instead get to see more of Batman and TMNT specific plot devices take a more prominent role.

In general it's a pretty enjoyable movie. Some general issues but I don't expect much from direct-to-video.
Spoiler:
This movie's version of Splinter pretty much has to have the same backstory as in the 1990 movie, right? We see the scars on Shredder's face.

AquaParade 05-14-2019 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1806207)
Judging from the color pallete and character design, I thought this was gonna be a kids' movie. Imagine my surprise seeing blood gush from a broken nose within the first 8 minutes, imagine the one I got from the guy getting stabbed in the forehead 2 minutes later. Then the... I'm not gonna spoil it but it certainly pushes it over the egde of child friendly. Also "hell" not being substituted with "shell". I kind of assumed Nickelodeon was going loosen the child friendly restrictions for TMNT cartoons sooner or later, I just didn't think it would be this one. Or maybe WB had full creative control over this one, either way I approve.

Speaking of approval, I don't really have any problems with most of the changes from the comic. I don't like that some characters were removed/reduced but otherwise it's fine. The removal of the multiverse aspect is probably for the best, it was such an uninteresting distraction anyway. The implication that the TMNT are part of the DC universe might seem strange but the other DC characters aren't part of it, so it's not really worth thinking about. It's worth it because it means we instead get to see more of Batman and TMNT specific plot devices take a more prominent role.

In general it's a pretty enjoyable movie. Some general issues but I don't expect much from direct-to-video.
Spoiler:
This movie's version of Splinter pretty much has to have the same backstory as in the 1990 movie, right? We see the scars on Shredder's face.

Hell, maybe I will buy this today just to show support. It's not like I think swearing and blood are integral to good TMNT stories, but anything that sends a signal to Nick/Viacom that adults are willing to pay for TMNT, I'm down to support.

Sabacooza 05-14-2019 03:48 PM

One little thing I found kind of cool was when Shredder first jumped down to meet Batman. It was very reminiscent of the 1990 movie when Shredder jumped down into frame in slow motion. That's a nice little nod to the original movie.

I'm sure there's loads of other Easter eggs in this.

lonewarrior20 05-14-2019 04:34 PM

loved it, there were so many Easter eggs in this one. anyone else spot the bit of mikey nun-chucking from the opening of the original animated series?

neatoman 05-15-2019 04:22 AM

Come to think of it, this isn't just the most violent animated TMNT adaptation, it has to be the most violent adaptation period. No matter how hard I try to remember, I don't think any of them depicted humans getting stabbed and cut, certainly not with gushing blood. The closest I can remember is robots and green/yellow blooded monsters getting cut, or at the very least it happened off-screen if it was a person. Like when Mashimi dies in the 4Kids show, we know Yoshi cut him, we just don't see it happen or the wound.

sdp 05-15-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1806259)
Come to think of it, this isn't just the most violent animated TMNT adaptation, it has to be the most violent adaptation period. No matter how hard I try to remember, I don't think any of them depicted humans getting stabbed and cut, certainly not with gushing blood. The closest I can remember is robots and green/yellow blooded monsters getting cut, or at the very least it happened off-screen if it was a person. Like when Mashimi dies in the 4Kids show, we know Yoshi cut him, we just don't see it happen or the wound.

It's cool to see that Viacom will allow this, maybe a more adult adaptation could be made one day.