The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Will this series ever see a nostalgic resurgence? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58770)

Wesley 09-19-2017 02:22 PM

It might happen some time in the future when people start having nostalgia about the 00s.

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 02:34 PM

The 2k3 series began in 2003, it's nearly 15 years old. How old does something have to be to be nostalgic over it?

Fun fact: At the time the 4kids series started in 2003, the original cartoon only ended 7 years prior in 1996. For some odd reason it feels like the gap was longer but it wasn't. I guess time moves slowly as a kid.

Ulisa 09-19-2017 02:56 PM

I would like it to but I'm not sure it will. The 2k3 series really had pretty poor exposure, at least in comparison with the other incarnations. I also think that some people, myself included, originally didn't even give it a chance because it was so different from what we knew. Now, granted, I have since seen it and definitely enjoy it but I don't remember it having the status that the FW series had and they aren't exactly pushing it a lot these days. I'd be happy if they just released it in full on DVD. It seems like they don't even want to acknowledge it most of the time.

ToTheNines 09-19-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1715645)
I can see it having more of a nostalgic following than the Nick show in the distant future though.

I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-19-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1715760)
I can't imagine how you could possibly arrive to this conclusion.

Just a quick thought on my part. I guessed that maybe the 2D animation, more unique, more established identity/tone and less reliance on other versions' concepts than the Nick show would lead it to being remembered more fondly many years later.

Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 03:57 PM

Well we can't tell that yet because the Nick show is currently ending. I can definitely see Tiger Claw used by a future series at least.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-19-2017 04:01 PM

He's the only Original character I can see being used in other versions, but even he recieves competition from Old Hob in IDW and the more obscure Kathmandu, both of whom might possibly be used instead.

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 04:04 PM

I actually hope Shinigami appears somewhere else so she and Karai can become a lesbian couple in a future series.

Andrew NDB 09-19-2017 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1715764)
Also, I don't think unique concepts in the Nick show are anywhere as recognized as recognized as those in 4Kids. For e.g. do you see Tiger Claw, Fishface and Shinigami combined being more fondly remembered than Bishop among tmnt fans?

I don't know, I'm not 6 years old. If I was, maybe they would be... who knows.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-19-2017 04:16 PM

Only time will tell, give it a few years when many of the Nick shows fans will have grown and joined tmnt forums/nostalgia followings.

But even then, I highly doubt that among hardcore fans like us, all of Nicks Original characters combined will be as remembered as the very few that appeared in the 2003 show.

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 04:23 PM

Well all the kids from the Nick era will be adults in another 5-10 years.

Remember a kid who was 10 when the Nick cartoon first started is now 15. Give him another 2-3 years and he'll be an adult with nostalgia for a show he watched as a kid.

Prowler 09-19-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1715694)
Any long running franchise always has it's first incarnation, or whichever was the most popular, overshadow everything that came after.

It's the same thing in the Pokemon fandom, with a bunch of delusionals who still think Misty/Brock or the original 151 pokemon are the only things that matter...even though the Pokemon franchise is now 20 years old and we're on gen 7. Just look at all the casuals getting excited over Misty/Brock getting a cameo in the current anime.

It's the same thing TMNT fans do when we have those 80's crossovers in the Nick cartoon or back in Turtles Forever. Or how hyped everyone is to see a new incarnation of Bebop and Rocksteady.

Difference being Pokémon is still as strong as ever. Even if the first two gens are the two most successful ones after all these years, it's not like people aren't aware of the other gens/games. Many people don't know anything about the TMNT asides from FW and the movies that came out in the 90s. Many aren't even aware of the 2k3 series or even the Nick toon.

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 05:42 PM

Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.

Prowler 09-19-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1715832)
Well that's simply because Pokemon is a much larger franchise than TMNT.

With TMNT I'm sure they're aware the other shows and comics exists, they just don't bother to watch/read them.

Actually... I've met more people who don't know that than those who do. TMNT is viewed by people around my age and above as a late 80s/early 90s phenomenon. I guess that's just testimony to how big the franchise was at its peak. I've honestly never met a human being that hasn't heard of the TMNT at all.

CyberCubed 09-19-2017 07:14 PM

Some people just need to be educated. If it were up to me I would educate everyone on TMNT history, as well as other franchises. Some people just need to be skewed into the right direction.

DestronMirage22 09-19-2017 10:33 PM

As much as I'd love to see some kind of "nostalgic resurgence" for this show, it really isn't likely to happen.

It just isn't that well known and it never really had that much of a following.

Plus, it's not like Nick will ever go out of their way to advertise its existence, it actually seems like the opposite. I don't even think you can watch it normally on their website or rerun channels, just on online cartoon sites and whatever DVD's you can find.

And as others have mentioned, FW will always be the most (if not only) publicly recognized version of TMNT. It pains me to say, but that's just the way it'll be.

Sumac 09-20-2017 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABrown (Post 1715680)
I do NOT understand why people say that. The TMNT equivalent of the Adam West Batman series is the Next Mutation series.

No.
It was so short, that it barely left a mark in the history of the franchise. I bet many people not even aware what it was. And comparing it to Adam West Batman, which is still remembered, even despite all this time and many good incarnations of the series...is laughable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1715689)
Fred Wolf? Pervasive as hell.

And Mirage will never be as popular anyway. :tlol:

CyberCubed 09-20-2017 02:19 AM

I find it odd so many of you forget the 2k3 series also had reruns on Cartoon Network around 2005-2006. I think they only aired the first 3 seasons (because Season 4 was "new" at the time), but it was something.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-20-2017 02:37 AM

I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008

CyberCubed 09-20-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1715923)
I remember seeing the first 3 seasons being re-run as late as 2008

Yeah it even aired weekday afternoons at 5pm here so it was 5 episodes a week in proper order. It used to air on CN's "Miguzi" block which came on right before Toonami back then.