The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Writer's Corner (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=51603)

senpai 03-28-2015 07:47 PM

Writer's Corner

Hi, everyone! :)

I wanted to start a thread for all of the Drome's writers. Here you can talk about your original creations, publications, share writing ideas, and get feedback on your work. Also, feel free to talk about your writing process; I'm sure a lot of us would love to hear it! I am also interested to know: what inspires you? Do you have a muse? Do you like to write for a particular genre or audience? These are questions that all writers tend to ask themselves at one point or another. So let's share!

(Also, I wasn't sure if this should go in the 'Books & Lit' section or not. Since it's original, I decided to put it in 'Everything Else')

MsMarvelDuckie 03-28-2015 08:51 PM

Good idea, but this might work better in the Fan-fic section.

I'll start out by saying that TMNT isn't the only type of fiction I write. I primarily started out writing supernatural romance (IE- vampire romances novels), fantasy, and some horror and sci-fi. All original material. Then I (re)discovered comics, and started doing comic book script-writing with my own on-going comic hero series "Red-Back: Son of the Spider". Yes, it's the offspring of Spider-Man, who inherited his dad's powers, and THEN SOME. He's a mutant (a la X-Men). That series also involves (SPOILER ALERT!) the death of Spidey himself. And the death of at least one X-Man as well.

Now I mostly do the TMNT stuff, but I still have my fantasy novel trilogy and Red-Back tales, which I occasionally still play with.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-28-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1437950)
Hi, everyone! :)

I wanted to start a thread for all of the Drome's writers. Here you can talk about your original creations, publications, share writing ideas, and get feedback on your work. Also, feel free to talk about your writing process; I'm sure a lot of us would love to hear it! I am also interested to know: what inspires you? Do you have a muse? Do you like to write for a particular genre or audience? These are questions that all writers tend to ask themselves at one point or another. So let's share!

(Also, I wasn't sure if this should go in the 'Books & Lit' section or not. Since it's original, I decided to put it in 'Everything Else')

Funny you started this thread; after finishing my current original novel "Asylum" in December, I've finally sent query emails to four different agents tonight! Horror/thriller, all taking place in an insane asylum on the dawn of a city-wide apocalypse. (see my signature)

I've also self-published a trilogy of post-apocalyptic novels called "Blood Island" and some Sherlock Holmes mysteries. (see the link in my signature)

And I got my start writing scripts for fan fiction audio drama Star Trek series, before those series completely tanked. You can actually listen to a couple of my episodes that were produced before plugs were pulled and people jumped ship.

CaliperCat 03-28-2015 09:33 PM

This is a great idea, Senpai! :)

I've got a super-hero story of sorts in the works, although I haven't really had the inspiration for it in about the year now (inspiration has been nonexistant, plus it's a logistical nightmare). It's based off of a couple of dreams I had a couple of years ago. It involves a villain who, intending to build his own army, has been messing with the logistical/genetic aspects of people (basically, selectively breeding them without their knowledge), so that every individual is basically handcrafted for his own purposes. What he didn't count on was those individuals developing their own thoughts and moral fabrics (and hence later models are created to be a lost less autonomous). I'd love to finish it someday, or even start it past a few snippets I've written, but I'm such a perfectionist that I doubt that will ever happen.

I'm one of those possibly weird writers who doesn't write anything in order. I write what I know, and then fill in the spaces later.

senpai 03-29-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1437971)
Good idea, but this might work better in the Fan-fic section.

I'll start out by saying that TMNT isn't the only type of fiction I write. I primarily started out writing supernatural romance (IE- vampire romances novels), fantasy, and some horror and sci-fi. All original material. Then I (re)discovered comics, and started doing comic book script-writing with my own on-going comic hero series "Red-Back: Son of the Spider". Yes, it's the offspring of Spider-Man, who inherited his dad's powers, and THEN SOME. He's a mutant (a la X-Men). That series also involves (SPOILER ALERT!) the death of Spidey himself. And the death of at least one X-Man as well.

Now I mostly do the TMNT stuff, but I still have my fantasy novel trilogy and Red-Back tales, which I occasionally still play with.

I'm betting comic book script-writing can be a lot of fun. :) I'm a Spidey fan myself. Where can I find Red-Back: Son of the Spider? I'd like to check it out. I don't think I'd be a very good fanfiction writer. Like, I wouldn't know what to write that the show/movie hasn't already done. What's your TMNT fanfiction like? Do you stick to a certain type of series (like the '12 or '03 or comics)? Do you create new characters? I think that if I wrote TMNT fanfiction I would just create a bunch of mutants xD I think it would be so fun to write for an episode of TMNT '12. It's such a fun series. But, you know, I don't think I could write for Raphael. He's so rude! It's very hard for me write like that. I think it would come off horribly forced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1437981)
Funny you started this thread; after finishing my current original novel "Asylum" in December, I've finally sent query emails to four different agents tonight! Horror/thriller, all taking place in an insane asylum on the dawn of a city-wide apocalypse. (see my signature)

I've also self-published a trilogy of post-apocalyptic novels called "Blood Island" and some Sherlock Holmes mysteries. (see the link in my signature)

And I got my start writing scripts for fan fiction audio drama Star Trek series, before those series completely tanked. You can actually listen to a couple of my episodes that were produced before plugs were pulled and people jumped ship.

Amazing! How's the self-publishing going? I'm interested in the Asylum project you are working on. I love horror novels. It's actually my favorite genre! Do you have a release date in mind? You have a lot of finished pieces which is fantastic! I don't have anything officially finished. I'm working on a novella right now. It's kinda weird. I don't know if anyone would read it though, haha! Keep me in the loop!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliperCat (Post 1437985)
This is a great idea, Senpai! :)

I've got a super-hero story of sorts in the works, although I haven't really had the inspiration for it in about the year now (inspiration has been nonexistant, plus it's a logistical nightmare). It's based off of a couple of dreams I had a couple of years ago. It involves a villain who, intending to build his own army, has been messing with the logistical/genetic aspects of people (basically, selectively breeding them without their knowledge), so that every individual is basically handcrafted for his own purposes. What he didn't count on was those individuals developing their own thoughts and moral fabrics (and hence later models are created to be a lost less autonomous). I'd love to finish it someday, or even start it past a few snippets I've written, but I'm such a perfectionist that I doubt that will ever happen.

I'm one of those possibly weird writers who doesn't write anything in order. I write what I know, and then fill in the spaces later.

Thanks, CaliperCat! Aren't dreams crazy like that?! I keep a dream diary. Sometimes I get some really cool scenes from dreams so I know exactly what you mean. I keep my diary near my bed so in case I wake up from a brilliant dream, I better log it because no matter how often I tell myself 'don't forget this--don't forget this' I sure as hell forget. Does your superhero have any superpowers? I don't think you're weird writing out of sequence. A lot of writers I know tend to do that. Just never throw it away. Sometimes you gotta write something just to get it out. And if you decide to not use it in your story, at least you have it for yourself and it may serve a purpose in one of your next pieces. :) With the story I'm writing now, I'm trying to keep it novella-length but since I'm so used to novels I tend to write more so I toss that idea because it's too much. But getting it down on paper/MS Word doc and out from your head is refreshing and still gratifying to me.

CaliperCat 03-29-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1438560)
Thanks, CaliperCat! Aren't dreams crazy like that?! I keep a dream diary. Sometimes I get some really cool scenes from dreams so I know exactly what you mean. I keep my diary near my bed so in case I wake up from a brilliant dream, I better log it because no matter how often I tell myself 'don't forget this--don't forget this' I sure as hell forget. Does your superhero have any superpowers? I don't think you're weird writing out of sequence. A lot of writers I know tend to do that. Just never throw it away. Sometimes you gotta write something just to get it out. And if you decide to not use it in your story, at least you have it for yourself and it may serve a purpose in one of your next pieces. :) With the story I'm writing now, I'm trying to keep it novella-length but since I'm so used to novels I tend to write more so I toss that idea because it's too much. But getting it down on paper/MS Word doc and out from your head is refreshing and still gratifying to me.

Maybe I should start keeping a dream diary as well! I have some pretty crazy ones, although I don't think I could write about the dream I had last nice (a bison tried to jump a fence and got caught in it, and I had to free her. No clue where that came from!). I've actually got four heroes who do have powers, although I'm still working out the powers with them. If you'd like to know in more detail what they are, it'd be best if I just attached them as a document, because otherwise this post would be a whole page long! :lol: I actually keep a "dump" document precisely for the purpose of keeping all of my little snippets, so that they never end up getting lost somewhere.

What's the story you're writing now about? I definitely understand having difficulty keeping stories short, as I tend to be a lengthy writer as well. I was writing a fan-fiction many years ago, and the chapters were all approaching about 6,000 words a pop. :teek: Actually, part of my problem is trying to get the ideas in my head out on a document or on paper- I can have something brilliant in my head, but it never comes out the same way on paper. Do you have any tips?

MsMarvelDuckie 03-29-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'm betting comic book script-writing can be a lot of fun. :) I'm a Spidey fan myself. Where can I find Red-Back: Son of the Spider? I'd like to check it out. I don't think I'd be a very good fanfiction writer. Like, I wouldn't know what to write that the show/movie hasn't already done. What's your TMNT fanfiction like? Do you stick to a certain type of series (like the '12 or '03 or comics)? Do you create new characters? I think that if I wrote TMNT fanfiction I would just create a bunch of mutants xD I think it would be so fun to write for an episode of TMNT '12. It's such a fun series. But, you know, I don't think I could write for Raphael. He's so rude! It's very hard for me write like that. I think it would come off horribly forced.

To answer your questions, yeas, it IS a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. I don't usually do panel-by-panel, but tend toward the "Marvel style" that Stan used to use, where you basically sketch out the broad story action in short paragraph form, and use dialog and/or inner monolog like in movie-scripts, plus sound effects, and use just enough description to show what's happening. All my fics are on my ff.net page, so you can see them there, or on the author page in my siggy, as I post them there, too.

As for my TMNT stuff, I mostly work in my own AU version that sort of throws a little bit of everything from all versions in. For instance, it's MAINLY based in the OT/90's movie-verses combined, with a few things from other versions, like Hun and Bishop, Leatherhead as an ally, a few one-off nods to Venus and Ninjara/Alopex (Shredder comments to Krang about wanting to turn the OC into a fox at one point), Silver Sentry (Mikey's favorite comic book, though he doesn't actually exist in this particular world), Klunk, Xever (as a human) and Fong from Nick, and bits like Raph being the Nightwatcher, four different lairs from OT, 90's films, and 2K3, and Mikey gushing about wanting a guitar to go with the drums Raph got for his 18th birthday so they can start a band (the COoOS tour)! And little things like that. I use Lotus from the OT instead of Karai. (Karai didn't even exist yet when I first started writing it back in 6th grade in 1990!) Also Mona Lisa, some head-canon stuff like Donnie being mildly addicted to coffee, Leo doing origami, and Mikey being an artist and liking to dance.

So far, I've done three stories set in that AU- one of which is also a Gargoyles crossover- and have three or four more in the works for it. (One is Leo-centric, the others are sequels to the main one, however, none of them are "ready" for posting yet.) The rest are stand-alone drabbles, one is a turtle-tot story, and I also have a tragic tale set in the OT (with Kurtzman from Nick added, but his backstory is changed), and another AU where the turtles and Splinter are the bad guys, with Shredder/Krang, etc. being the good guys (a reverse OT world).

I also have ONE T-cest experiment story in the works (with a second possibly on the way), another is April/Casey-centric (That one is NC-17, LOL!), and a Donnie tale that's- let's just call it mildly disturbing in where it goes- and a Mikey-centric "April Fool's Day" story. So far, though, the Donnie, April Fools, April/Casey, and T-cest tales are not posted anywhere, as they are barely started, and I may not get around to them for a while. So, I guess you can say I do a LOT of different things!

And although I haven't managed to fit them in yet, I'm DYING to use Hob, Fugitoid, and Usagi. So far, only Usagi has actually been mentioned, but I DO have a story planned with him set in my main AU.

Refractive Reflections 03-30-2015 12:21 AM

I started a thread earlier if anybody read TMNT fanfiction:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40294

It could give an interesting perspective on what some members are interested in reading.

senpai 03-31-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliperCat (Post 1438576)
Maybe I should start keeping a dream diary as well! I have some pretty crazy ones, although I don't think I could write about the dream I had last nice (a bison tried to jump a fence and got caught in it, and I had to free her. No clue where that came from!). I've actually got four heroes who do have powers, although I'm still working out the powers with them. If you'd like to know in more detail what they are, it'd be best if I just attached them as a document, because otherwise this post would be a whole page long! :lol: I actually keep a "dump" document precisely for the purpose of keeping all of my little snippets, so that they never end up getting lost somewhere.

What's the story you're writing now about? I definitely understand having difficulty keeping stories short, as I tend to be a lengthy writer as well. I was writing a fan-fiction many years ago, and the chapters were all approaching about 6,000 words a pop. :teek: Actually, part of my problem is trying to get the ideas in my head out on a document or on paper- I can have something brilliant in my head, but it never comes out the same way on paper. Do you have any tips?

Yeah! Feel free to share them. I'd like to read them sometime. :) Your dreams sound like mine. A bison! How bizarre! :lol: Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out for their powers. Powers can be so fun to create.

It's hard to just openly discuss what I'm writing about. I always get funny looks or ‘awww’s from people when I tell them I’m writing a story about pigs. They assume I'm writing for children or imagine it’s going to be a fun(ny) story. :lol: Anyway, it’s a survival story about a group of pigs escaping a farm when they learn they’re going to be killed. My objective is to subtly educate people about pigs through my narrative (they are my favorite animals!) while playing around with some of the facts to make the story interesting.

To answer your question, I find it very helpful to listen to music while I set up a scene. Music like movie and/or video game soundtracks. Nothing with lyrics--that's too distracting. When I need to get something out and I’m having trouble, I’ll listen to a song that I think captures that scene well, and I’ll just write. I don’t worry about spelling or how coherent my sentences are. After I feel like I got the gist out, I turn off the music, go back to edit and clean up what I did. At least then I got out the pivotal points that I was struggling with before and can now focus on the actual writing part. This may not work for everyone but it may be worth a shot for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1438579)
To answer your questions, yeas, it IS a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. I don't usually do panel-by-panel, but tend toward the "Marvel style" that Stan used to use, where you basically sketch out the broad story action in short paragraph form, and use dialog and/or inner monolog like in movie-scripts, plus sound effects, and use just enough description to show what's happening. All my fics are on my ff.net page, so you can see them there, or on the author page in my siggy, as I post them there, too.

As for my TMNT stuff, I mostly work in my own AU version that sort of throws a little bit of everything from all versions in. For instance, it's MAINLY based in the OT/90's movie-verses combined, with a few things from other versions, like Hun and Bishop, Leatherhead as an ally, a few one-off nods to Venus and Ninjara/Alopex (Shredder comments to Krang about wanting to turn the OC into a fox at one point), Silver Sentry (Mikey's favorite comic book, though he doesn't actually exist in this particular world), Klunk, Xever (as a human) and Fong from Nick, and bits like Raph being the Nightwatcher, four different lairs from OT, 90's films, and 2K3, and Mikey gushing about wanting a guitar to go with the drums Raph got for his 18th birthday so they can start a band (the COoOS tour)! And little things like that. I use Lotus from the OT instead of Karai. (Karai didn't even exist yet when I first started writing it back in 6th grade in 1990!) Also Mona Lisa, some head-canon stuff like Donnie being mildly addicted to coffee, Leo doing origami, and Mikey being an artist and liking to dance.

So far, I've done three stories set in that AU- one of which is also a Gargoyles crossover- and have three or four more in the works for it. (One is Leo-centric, the others are sequels to the main one, however, none of them are "ready" for posting yet.) The rest are stand-alone drabbles, one is a turtle-tot story, and I also have a tragic tale set in the OT (with Kurtzman from Nick added, but his backstory is changed), and another AU where the turtles and Splinter are the bad guys, with Shredder/Krang, etc. being the good guys (a reverse OT world).

I also have ONE T-cest experiment story in the works (with a second possibly on the way), another is April/Casey-centric (That one is NC-17, LOL!), and a Donnie tale that's- let's just call it mildly disturbing in where it goes- and a Mikey-centric "April Fool's Day" story. So far, though, the Donnie, April Fools, April/Casey, and T-cest tales are not posted anywhere, as they are barely started, and I may not get around to them for a while. So, I guess you can say I do a LOT of different things!

And although I haven't managed to fit them in yet, I'm DYING to use Hob, Fugitoid, and Usagi. So far, only Usagi has actually been mentioned, but I DO have a story planned with him set in my main AU.

You have a lot of awesome headcannons! I like the Nightwatcher idea for Raph. I wish Nick’s series did something like that. 6th grade! Awesome! You’ve been a long-time fan of TMNT :D The reverse world sounds very interesting haha! I can’t imagine the turtles/Splinter being baddies! I love Hob. I think you should use him in your next fanfiction! He’s such an awesome character. Usagi is cool. I haven’t read the comics or know too much about him but I love the character design. Plus, I love the whole samurai code of honor thing. Like, I just love samurai movies and Usagi seems like he’s the epitome of all that. :lol:

Is there any way that you could submit your story ideas to Nick? It would be cool if you could co-write with them for an episode! I think that would be so fun, but I don’t know how this stuff works xP How is your paranormal original piece coming along?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections (Post 1438585)
I started a thread earlier if anybody read TMNT fanfiction:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40294

It could give an interesting perspective on what some members are interested in reading.

Thanks, Refractive Reflections! Though this thread is geared towards original pieces, I knew I’d be getting some mentions of fanfiction and I’m glad to see everyone so eager to share their work!

Metalwolf 03-31-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1439125)

It's hard to just openly discuss what I'm writing about. I always get funny looks or ‘awww’s from people when I tell them I’m writing a story about pigs. They assume I'm writing for children or imagine it’s going to be a fun(ny) story. :lol: Anyway, it’s a survival story about a group of pigs escaping a farm when they learn they’re going to be killed. My objective is to subtly educate people about pigs through my narrative (they are my favorite animals!) while playing around with some of the facts to make the story interesting.

Oh wow, that is so COOL :teek: :D Pigs are my favorites too besides wolves, and some of the major stuff I draw features pigs (at least mainly wild boars.) Most of my drawings feature them in horror though, some of them being symbols for insanity. I even have a full Russian boar hide from Poland, and a small skin of a piglet, both of which I hope to 'restore' back into looking like their piggy selves.

Quote:

To answer your question, I find it very helpful to listen to music while I set up a scene. Music like movie and/or video game soundtracks. Nothing with lyrics--that's too distracting. When I need to get something out and I’m having trouble, I’ll listen to a song that I think captures that scene well, and I’ll just write.

I do that too. I use it to draw with, although I can't do use while I write, as it would end up making it hard for me to visualize scenes. But I wish I could, some of the music I do listen to would end up kind of fitting for some of the stuff I do. :)

senpai 03-31-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalwolf (Post 1439169)
Oh wow, that is so COOL :teek: :D Pigs are my favorites too besides wolves, and some of the major stuff I draw features pigs (at least mainly wild boars.) Most of my drawings feature them in horror though, some of them being symbols for insanity. I even have a full Russian boar hide from Poland, and a small skin of a piglet, both of which I hope to 'restore' back into looking like their piggy selves.

You're so sweet! Thank you! I'd love to see your pig drawings :D Whenever I think of pigs in a horrific scenario I think of the boar's head from Lord of the Flies. Love that book. I'm not a very good drawer. But if I did draw more, I'd draw my pigs as symbols for sophistication and intelligence xD They would wear suits, a monocle, and hold a pipe in one hand while they read a book by Plato in front of the fire. And he'd have such wonderful manners!

What do you mean by 'restore' them back to their piggy selves? :teek: What are you going to do?!

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 03-31-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Amazing! How's the self-publishing going? I'm interested in the Asylum project you are working on. I love horror novels. It's actually my favorite genre! Do you have a release date in mind? You have a lot of finished pieces which is fantastic! I don't have anything officially finished. I'm working on a novella right now. It's kinda weird. I don't know if anyone would read it though, haha! Keep me in the loop!

Self-publishing is very much a product of your own initiative. For Blood Island and my take on Sherlock Holmes, it was simply a means to print my own books and hold them in my greedy sweaty trembling hands. The feeling of holding your own book in your hands is utterly unique... the closest thing to it is holding your newborn child in your hands. (And I've done both. Both are amazing, sort of similar, but utterly unique.)

However, if Asylum does not eventually take off in traditional publishing, I aim to go back to self-publishing and seriously up my game. See what happens. I got my first rejection letter for Asylum earlier today. :tlol: I was originally hoping to release Asylum this summer, but now I'm figuring that if nobody has taken me up on the novel, to self-publish it in December or January. I'm still figuring it out... but now that I've gotten the load off my back in submitting query letters, I can resume working on "Rage", an indirect sequel. Already 100 pages in, looking forward to getting back to it...

Quote:

The vast majority of people won't understand or will just think your ideas are "cute" (or "weird"). You just gotta do it anyway. I particular piece of advice I just found was "Write the book because you f*cking want to write the book." As long as that is your primary motivation, ain't nobody gonna stop you.

And I think your pig idea sounds awesome. Much more "Animal Farm" than "Babe." Just because it involves animals doesn't mean it's kiddy or undeserving.

senpai 03-31-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1439180)
Self-publishing is very much a product of your own initiative. For Blood Island and my take on Sherlock Holmes, it was simply a means to print my own books and hold them in my greedy sweaty trembling hands. The feeling of holding your own book in your hands is utterly unique... the closest thing to it is holding your newborn child in your hands. (And I've done both. Both are amazing, sort of similar, but utterly unique.)

However, if Asylum does not eventually take off in traditional publishing, I aim to go back to self-publishing and seriously up my game. See what happens. I got my first rejection letter for Asylum earlier today. :tlol: I was originally hoping to release Asylum this summer, but now I'm figuring that if nobody has taken me up on the novel, to self-publish it in December or January. I'm still figuring it out... but now that I've gotten the load off my back in submitting query letters, I can resume working on "Rage", an indirect sequel. Already 100 pages in, looking forward to getting back to it...

The vast majority of people won't understand or will just think your ideas are "cute" (or "weird"). You just gotta do it anyway. I particular piece of advice I just found was "Write the book because you f*cking want to write the book." As long as that is your primary motivation, ain't nobody gonna stop you.

And I think your pig idea sounds awesome. Much more "Animal Farm" than "Babe." Just because it involves animals doesn't mean it's kiddy or undeserving.

Making the initiative is sometimes the hardest step--for me, anyway. I think that's great that you are able to print it and actually hold a copy of your own work. Is self-publishing expensive? I've never heard of someone comparing it to their baby. That's amazing. You must really love being a parent as much as you love writing! :D

I wish you the best of luck getting Asylum published. Keep trying. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get someone to take it.

I like your advice! :tlol: I will do just that. :D Thank you. I hope it turns out the way I want it to. I know it's going to require a lot of editing because I want the narrator to have a specific tone and sometimes when I write just to get my ideas out I really lose that.

Metalwolf 03-31-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1439174)
You're so sweet! Thank you! I'd love to see your pig drawings :D Whenever I think of pigs in a horrific scenario I think of the boar's head from Lord of the Flies. Love that book. I'm not a very good drawer. But if I did draw more, I'd draw my pigs as symbols for sophistication and intelligence xD They would wear suits, a monocle, and hold a pipe in one hand while they read a book by Plato in front of the fire. And he'd have such wonderful manners!

What do you mean by 'restore' them back to their piggy selves? :teek: What are you going to do?!

Well, I'd have to get the drawings to the scanner in the library, as I don't have a scanner to upload them myself. One is a bit gory, I don't know if the mods would let me have such a picture in the art section or not, although if they don't I can just PM you a picture. The other is a Legend of Zelda one of 80's cartoon Ganon, but what is scary about this guy is that I 'stripped' of all of his goofiness, and made him something I would be afraid of. I like him a lot, and I kind of made him almost like a cross between Slenderman and a ghost :lol:

As what I mean by 'restore,' the wild boar that I got was originally cut flat to be a rug. Fortunately he never had any felting on him, so a lot of it now is mainly sewing him edge to edge back up in the right way and hoping they haven't trimmed too much of his edges. I had to 'relax' the hide in a solution when i got him and then oil it, as it was quite stiff when I got him, as he was sold as a rug and they thought he'd end up flat on the floor or something. Of this guy, I have a feeling he is likely a male pig, since he doesn't have the prominent nipples of a female, and the way he looks colored on a part of his belly there was probably a penis there at one time. Unfortunately they had cut of the end of his nose and the edges of his lips, so I will likely have to tan a new nose for him and maybe lips, which I won't try yet until he is mostly stuffed and articulated (I want to be able to pose him and stand him up.) I badly want to have a foam form or something set into his head, because I want to give him jaws and tusks and be able to open and close his mouth and be able to put the glass eyes glass eyes I got for him into it. He also has a nice tall mohawk, and I'd love to make him posed in such a way that it stands out. :P

With the piglet, I just might stuff with fluff as a regular 'soft mount' since she is soft enough and fuzzy enough for that to work. She's jet black and pretty, with hair that is almost as soft as a puppy's. :D

MsMarvelDuckie 03-31-2015 10:55 PM

Quote:

I find it very helpful to listen to music while I set up a scene. Music like movie and/or video game soundtracks. Nothing with lyrics--that's too distracting. When I need to get something out and I’m having trouble, I’ll listen to a song that I think captures that scene well, and I’ll just write. I don’t worry about spelling or how coherent my sentences are. After I feel like I got the gist out, I turn off the music, go back to edit and clean up what I did. At least then I got out the pivotal points that I was struggling with before and can now focus on the actual writing part. This may not work for everyone but it may be worth a shot for you.

You have a lot of awesome headcannons! I like the Nightwatcher idea for Raph. I wish Nick’s series did something like that. 6th grade! Awesome! You’ve been a long-time fan of TMNT :D The reverse world sounds very interesting haha! I can’t imagine the turtles/Splinter being baddies! I love Hob. I think you should use him in your next fanfiction! He’s such an awesome character. Usagi is cool. I haven’t read the comics or know too much about him but I love the character design. Plus, I love the whole samurai code of honor thing. Like, I just love samurai movies and Usagi seems like he’s the epitome of all that. :lol:

Is there any way that you could submit your story ideas to Nick? It would be cool if you could co-write with them for an episode! I think that would be so fun, but I don’t know how this stuff works xP How is your paranormal original piece coming along?

Hey! I listen to music while I write, too, actually, and I also write scenes "out of order" at times. However, I actually like using music with lyrics when I write, especially songs that have titles and/or lyrics that really "fit" the tone or action or emotions of the scene I'm working on. Like the scene I was doing today for Love Is Shell (my "main" AU fic) I decided to name the chapter title "Of Rage and War" (the title of a song by Savatage), since it really fits with what is happening in that chapter. I do that a lot, actually, I'll find lyrics or song titles that work for whatever scene or chapter- or even short story!- I'm doing, and use the title or a line from it for the title. My Some Other World fic was inspired by (and named for) an Elton John song of the same name- though the song is MUCH "cheerier" than the story, LOL! Funny thing, though, a lot of the songs I use are also from movie soundtracks, so we have that in common, too.

Heh, yea, Hob is awesome, and I'm thinking of putting Xever in (in his human form) again somewhere. Also, Usagi is one of my favorite "guest" characters in TMNT. I loved him in the OT series, as well as in the 2K3 one, and I've recently started reading his own comics, too. He's such a cool little guy, LOL!

As for the Nick thing, I'd probably have to become an established script-writer first. I doubt they'd pick some unknown to do an episode. Buuuut- that said, I HAVE done some script-writing for a web-comic competition that (if it had won) would have given me the chance to work with Stan Lee himself! I still have a copy of the sample I sent in, so at the very least, I can honestly say that Stan Lee has seen some of my work. So that's cool.

senpai 04-03-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalwolf (Post 1439510)
Well, I'd have to get the drawings to the scanner in the library, as I don't have a scanner to upload them myself. One is a bit gory, I don't know if the mods would let me have such a picture in the art section or not, although if they don't I can just PM you a picture. The other is a Legend of Zelda one of 80's cartoon Ganon, but what is scary about this guy is that I 'stripped' of all of his goofiness, and made him something I would be afraid of. I like him a lot, and I kind of made him almost like a cross between Slenderman and a ghost :lol:

As what I mean by 'restore,' the wild boar that I got was originally cut flat to be a rug. Fortunately he never had any felting on him, so a lot of it now is mainly sewing him edge to edge back up in the right way and hoping they haven't trimmed too much of his edges. I had to 'relax' the hide in a solution when i got him and then oil it, as it was quite stiff when I got him, as he was sold as a rug and they thought he'd end up flat on the floor or something. Of this guy, I have a feeling he is likely a male pig, since he doesn't have the prominent nipples of a female, and the way he looks colored on a part of his belly there was probably a penis there at one time. Unfortunately they had cut of the end of his nose and the edges of his lips, so I will likely have to tan a new nose for him and maybe lips, which I won't try yet until he is mostly stuffed and articulated (I want to be able to pose him and stand him up.) I badly want to have a foam form or something set into his head, because I want to give him jaws and tusks and be able to open and close his mouth and be able to put the glass eyes glass eyes I got for him into it. He also has a nice tall mohawk, and I'd love to make him posed in such a way that it stands out. :P

With the piglet, I just might stuff with fluff as a regular 'soft mount' since she is soft enough and fuzzy enough for that to work. She's jet black and pretty, with hair that is almost as soft as a puppy's. :D

You got me so ****ed up right now! X_X :tdead:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1439538)
As for the Nick thing, I'd probably have to become an established script-writer first. I doubt they'd pick some unknown to do an episode. Buuuut- that said, I HAVE done some script-writing for a web-comic competition that (if it had won) would have given me the chance to work with Stan Lee himself! I still have a copy of the sample I sent in, so at the very least, I can honestly say that Stan Lee has seen some of my work. So that's cool.

Whaaat! Stan Lee! That IS cool! Go you!

CaliperCat 04-12-2015 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Yeah! Feel free to share them. I'd like to read them sometime. :) Your dreams sound like mine. A bison! How bizarre! :lol: Anyway, I'm sure you'll figure something out for their powers. Powers can be so fun to create.

To answer your question, I find it very helpful to listen to music while I set up a scene. Music like movie and/or video game soundtracks. Nothing with lyrics--that's too distracting. When I need to get something out and I’m having trouble, I’ll listen to a song that I think captures that scene well, and I’ll just write. I don’t worry about spelling or how coherent my sentences are. After I feel like I got the gist out, I turn off the music, go back to edit and clean up what I did. At least then I got out the pivotal points that I was struggling with before and can now focus on the actual writing part. This may not work for everyone but it may be worth a shot for you.

Attachment 8921

I attached the document I'm currently using- it's just simple text, because the 'Drome didn't like uploading a Word one, so please bear with the simple format. The list of characters and their powers is at the top. It's a bit dated- for example, I don't think Alex is going to have to cut himself in order to give himself a metallic shell: I think I'll just have him be able to change his skin to metal at will, although unlike Colossus, he doesn't have to transform his entire body. Feel free to offer any thoughts if you have them. :)

I don't see how a story about pigs escaping a farm can't be fun! Although it sounds much more serious, from the sounds of it. My friend has a black mini-pig whom she bred to an even tinier mini-pig, and the piglets are due at the end of this month. I'll try to send you some pictures if I get any. I'm guessing you already have some personality traits picked out for your story pigs?

I'll definitely have to try that sometime, thank you! I used to really enjoy the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack, so maybe I'll have to dig that one out and see if it inspires me. :)

Metalwolf 04-12-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1440589)
You got me so ****ed up right now! X_X :tdead:

Will have to wait until the 19th to be able to scan them, my library is undergoing renovation (they are setting new rugs down) and I won't be able to do much until then. :(

MsMarvelDuckie 04-12-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senpai (Post 1440589)
Whaaat! Stan Lee! That IS cool! Go you!

Yeah it was a real challenge, doing a script sample for a web-comic, with only a basic concept to go on. The winner got to co-write it with him. That's one of my dreams, actually- to work with Stan on a comic.

senpai 04-17-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliperCat (Post 1443480)
Attachment 8921

I attached the document I'm currently using- it's just simple text, because the 'Drome didn't like uploading a Word one, so please bear with the simple format. The list of characters and their powers is at the top. It's a bit dated- for example, I don't think Alex is going to have to cut himself in order to give himself a metallic shell: I think I'll just have him be able to change his skin to metal at will, although unlike Colossus, he doesn't have to transform his entire body. Feel free to offer any thoughts if you have them. :)

I don't see how a story about pigs escaping a farm can't be fun! Although it sounds much more serious, from the sounds of it. My friend has a black mini-pig whom she bred to an even tinier mini-pig, and the piglets are due at the end of this month. I'll try to send you some pictures if I get any. I'm guessing you already have some personality traits picked out for your story pigs?

I'll definitely have to try that sometime, thank you! I used to really enjoy the Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron soundtrack, so maybe I'll have to dig that one out and see if it inspires me. :)

Ooo! I can't wait to read it! I'm sure it'll be great. In a couple weeks I'll give it a read. (I got finals from now till then--kill me x.x) And absolutely. I'll try to help any way I can. :)

Really? How big are these mini-pigs? And do you know how old she is? Every mini-pig I've seen that looked small was just a youngin'.

Awww! I remember Spirit! Such a good movie. I remember crying.