The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Jungle Book remake (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=47118)

Raph's Girl 04-24-2014 02:18 PM

Jungle Book remake

Seems there's not one but TWO Jungle Book movies coming out. One by Disney, one by Warner Bros.

No word on who's playing who in the Warner Bros version but in the new Disney version (a hybrid film BTW) Idris Elba has been cast as Sher Khan. 12 Years A Slave actress Lupita Nyong'o is up for the role of the She-Wolf. And in the oddest casting IMO is Scarlet Johansson who is up for the role of Kaa. The heck?!

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrit...=1440_54732923

chrisdude 04-24-2014 04:44 PM

Hm... I wonder how Disney's will play out. That was the one pre-Pixar Disney animated film that I liked.

Pterobat 04-24-2014 04:49 PM

I think it'd be cool if Kaa were a female character, but I'd like Kaa to be portrayed as heroic, like in the original Kipling stories. :)

Leofan26 04-25-2014 11:54 AM

I don't like this idea, Baloo was so awesome and fun in the original film, I don't want that changed thank you :(

While I love the animated Robin Hood flick I could see that being as a better film to be remade.

Why not just think of original ideas though? Walt Disney I don't think would be too happy about this either, wasn't the Jungle Book the last film to be done by him?

TurtleTitan97 09-15-2015 10:33 AM

Figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of making a new one. Disney has just released the trailer. It actually looks pretty epic!

plastroncafe 09-15-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leofan26 (Post 1254040)
I don't like this idea, Baloo was so awesome and fun in the original film, I don't want that changed thank you :(

While I love the animated Robin Hood flick I could see that being as a better film to be remade.

Why not just think of original ideas though? Walt Disney I don't think would be too happy about this either, wasn't the Jungle Book the last film to be done by him?

Hahah...Disney. Original ideas.
That...that's a good one.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-15-2015 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 (Post 1501932)
Figured I'd resurrect this thread instead of making a new one. Disney has just released the trailer. It actually looks pretty epic!

I thought it looked spectacularly hollow. Great CGI, but just a lot of Mowgli running and CGI animals.

It's got a great voice cast and it's by Jon Favreau, so I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt, but this first trailer did nothing for me.

Also, ScarJo as Kaa was a little odd. I did like the "trussssst in me" quote, though.

TigerClaw 09-15-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 (Post 1501932)

The trailer was pretty good, at the end of the trailer, was a homage to a classic scene of the original. you hear Baloo whistling the Bear Necessities

TurtleTitan97 09-15-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1501935)
The trailer was pretty good, at the end of the trailer, was a homage to a classic scene of the original. you hear Baloo whistling the Bear Necessities

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-15-2015 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1501935)

I liked that, too. It does seem to be sticking pretty close to the original. Which makes me wonder... is this just going to be a straight-up hand-drawn to CGI cutover?

On the one hand, you don't have to worry about them frakking anything up. But on the other... do we really want to pay money to see the same movie, just with updated effects?

Discuss!!! Or, y'know... don't. Whatever. :trazz:

plastroncafe 09-15-2015 11:04 AM

I'd prefer something closer to the source material, to be perfectly honest.

TigerClaw 09-15-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1501937)
I liked that, too. It does seem to be sticking pretty close to the original. Which makes me wonder... is this just going to be a straight-up hand-drawn to CGI cutover?

On the one hand, you don't have to worry about them frakking anything up. But on the other... do we really want to pay money to see the same movie, just with updated effects?

Discuss!!! Or, y'know... don't. Whatever. :trazz:

Jon Favreau breaks down the trailer.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jon-fav...130133927.html

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-15-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1501939)

I can't see Disney doing that. What about the other studio doing a Jungle Book movie next year?

That would actually be a great way to distinguish between the two films; faithful Kipling script and Disney remake script.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-15-2015 11:57 AM

Kaa- heroic? I don't remember that in the original story. IIRC correctly, he always just wanted to eat Mowgli. Giant python does NOT = "hero". More like slow death.... I'm tempted to see this one, just because it was one of my favorites.

chrisdude 09-15-2015 12:01 PM

I think the biggest thing about this trailer is that Mowgli is a kid. A forreal, believable child. That crap blows my mind.

Also, it really looks like they're putting more money into this than their other live-action remakes. None of those movies had a cast like this, either. They're going all in.

Raph's Girl 09-15-2015 01:26 PM

Ok Disney. You got me. I'll be in theatres for this. I wasn't keen on Scarlet Johannson as Kaa before but that right there pulled me in. Yeah the animals are mostly CGI but eh it seems to work.

drgon78 09-15-2015 02:12 PM

Yeah at least he is a kid like he is supposed to be though I would like to have seen the other characters speak.

Sage Ninja 09-15-2015 09:10 PM

Quote:

same here, it is a fascinating story and I would love to see a big company take a crack at it and bring it to life on the big screen...fat chance with Disney though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1501952)
Kaa- heroic? I don't remember that in the original story. IIRC correctly, he always just wanted to eat Mowgli. Giant python does NOT = "hero". More like slow death.... I'm tempted to see this one, just because it was one of my favorites.

Kaa was a very, very wise snake in the original story and was one of Mowgli's mentors and an ally. If I remember correctly he even hypnotized and ate the monkeys that kidnapped Mowgli in the original story as punishment for their actions. Balloo was also a very wise character and not at all goofy like how he is in the Disney cartoon movie, he teaches Mowgli the laws of the jungle.

TurtleTitan97 02-07-2016 05:23 PM

drgon78 02-07-2016 06:37 PM

So at least one of the songs are in in this movie, cool.