The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Double Dragon 4 (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57092)

TigerClaw 12-27-2016 11:03 AM

Double Dragon 4

Its been 27 years since Double Dragon 3 came out in 1990, and on Jan 20th 2017 Double Dragon 4 will be coming out on PS4 and Steam, Most of the original developers for the original arcade game are involved in developing the sequel.

The new game will be released for the 30th Anniversary of the original Double Dragon arcade game.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/26/14...s4-launch-date

AT-Man 12-27-2016 11:10 AM

DD2 is a fantastic game and I'm glad this one's in the same style.

The Deadman 12-27-2016 11:16 AM

Ill be buying it day one.

sdp 12-27-2016 11:30 AM

Never played any of them, any reason to check one out? It seems one of those series that paved the way for the genre but because of it isn't what would now be considered good and can't appreciate unless you played it back then.

Andrew NDB 12-27-2016 11:33 AM

Uh... what, are they not counting Super Double Dragon? This should be Double Dragon 6.

http://s.emuparadise.org/Super%20Nin...agon%20(U).png

http://s.emuparadise.org/Super%20Nin...alls%20(U).png

This is bullsh*t.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1648824)
Its been 27 years since Double Dragon 3 came out in 1990,

But only 22 years since Double Dragon 5 came out in 1994, and 24 years since Super Double Dragon in 1992. This is probably just going to be a Mega Man 9-like 8 bit recreation that wants you to forget the SNES+ versions of games to give the hipsters of today their nostalgic jollies.

sdp 12-27-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1648841)
Uh... what, are they not counting Super Double Dragon? This should be Double Dragon 5.

http://s.emuparadise.org/Super%20Nin...agon%20(U).png

This is bullsh*t.

But only 24 years since Super Double Dragon came out in October, 1992. This is probably just going to be a Mega Man 9-like 8 bit recreation that wants you to forget the SNES+ versions of games to give the hipsters of today their nostalgic jollies.

Well this is normal since it automatically gives it a "it's a sequel to what you liked". The Mega Man example did respect the numbers though since 7 came out on SNES and 8 in 9 on PSX. You even see it in music I remember when Korn released "III" so you'd know it was going to be like the first two.

Ignoring Super DD wouldn't be such a bad thing since it's technically not "IV" but the fact that "V" was made after for the SNES retroactively made Super number IV but I guess this IV will be the "real" IV and all this time it was missing :lol:

Andrew NDB 12-27-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1648846)
Ignoring Super DD wouldn't be such a bad thing since it's technically not "IV" but the fact that "V" was made after for the SNES retroactively made Super number IV but I guess this IV will be the "real" IV and all this time it was missing :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot about 5. But still... this more more than a bit dodgy.

Prowler 12-27-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1648840)
Never played any of them, any reason to check one out? It seems one of those series that paved the way for the genre but because of it isn't what would now be considered good and can't appreciate unless you played it back then.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. I played a bit of the first two DD games back in 2008 or so and I wasn't a big fan of them. They were clearly dated. I'd rather just play Final Fight 2 or one of those Konami TMNT beat 'em ups such as TiT and the original arcade game.

I might play this game, though. It seems it's gonna look exactly like the NES DD games, but I wonder if the gameplay will have some changes in order to make it more suitable for today's gameplay standards?

And as for your convo with Andrew about DD series... what about that crossover with the Battletoads lol? Where does that one fit in.

Andrew NDB 12-27-2016 12:26 PM

And what about this?

sdp 12-27-2016 12:34 PM

DD V Battletoads is a spinoff and I guess Super DD is now a spin-off :lol: But apparently DD V is based on the cartoon so maybe it's not canon? haha

I used to love the toys of the DD cartoon but I never did watch too many episodes to form an opinion. And I watched the DD movie as a kid and loved it, I've been curious to check it out since I was very young and it's considered beyond terrible but who knows.

Prowler 12-27-2016 12:34 PM

I can't help but think Billy's real name is Bimmy. Oh AVGN...

TigerClaw 12-27-2016 12:45 PM

Yeah Super Double Dragon was the 4th game, but strictly for the SNES, I don't think it counted as a continuation of the NES games, Which is why this new game is a direct sequel to the NES games.

Andrew NDB 12-27-2016 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1648874)
Yeah Super Double Dragon was the 4th game, but strictly for the SNES, I don't think it counted as a continuation of the NES games,

Why wouldn't it? It was a new story that took place after 1-3.

TigerClaw 12-27-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1648883)
Why wouldn't it? It was a new story that took place after 1-3.

What if Double Dragon 4 is a prequel and takes place right after 3, But before Super Double Dragon? Then it would make more sense.

Cure 12-27-2016 02:53 PM

That looks really ******.

TigerClaw 12-27-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1648921)
That looks really ******.

By ****** I think you meant that it looks like 8-bit, which is a good direction for this, there been remakes of this game and they failed to capture the essence of the original.

Prowler 12-27-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1648941)
By ****** I think you meant that it looks like 8-bit, which is a good direction for this, there been remakes of this game and they failed to capture the essence of the original.

It looks WAY too much like the original. At first I had to double check if I was looking at the trailer of the upcoming remake or just at footage form the NES games.

Andrew NDB 12-27-2016 03:34 PM

Wait, that was actual gameplay footage? I thought they were just taking us down memory lane of Double Dragon 1-3.

Prowler 12-27-2016 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1648943)
Wait, that was actual gameplay footage? I thought they were just taking us down memory lane of Double Dragon 1-3.

I know, right? It says Teaser Trailer in the title... but God I hope it was just a nostalgia trip. But what point would there be in not showing us what the NEW game would look like at all?!

DestronMirage22 12-27-2016 04:12 PM

Damn, I'm impressed. Wonder if it'll be as hard as the NES ones; I hope not. I was never able to beat any of the NES DD games, a fact that pisses me off to this day. :flaming: (I was able to beat the 1st NES TMNT game, without much problems, but failed at DD right at the end every time. :cry:)

Edit: Oh, and **** PS/PC exclusivity.