The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Rap/Hip-Hop (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57605)

ProphetofGanja 03-22-2017 07:55 PM

Rap/Hip-Hop

Post a rap or hip-hop song you've been bumping lately

I can't stop playing this Future joint

ToTheNines 03-22-2017 08:21 PM

God damnit dude. Why haven't you been posting in the GD longer? I'm drunk and willing to embarrass myself, but I want to be your best friend now lol.

Here's my contribution, not the best introduction to MF DOOM, but a great jam anyways.

Prowler 03-22-2017 08:23 PM

Hip hop/rap is pretty hit and miss for me. I really don't know much about the genre.

I really don't like Tupac, Kanye West, Drake and Eminem stuff but have liked some Ghostface Killah, Camp Lo and Too $hort songs before.

Spoiler:

...I don't know what it is, but I like this song a lot.

ProphetofGanja 03-22-2017 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1669732)
God damnit dude. Why haven't you been posting in the GD longer? I'm drunk and willing to embarrass myself, but I want to be your best friend now lol.

Here's my contribution, not the best introduction to MF DOOM, but a great jam anyways.

Spoiler:

haha I told you man, I only just recently got the hang of finding new posts and active discussions on this forum. Still wish the User CP would automatically subscribe to threads but whatever

I don't know much MF Doom, but I know what I like and I like what I know. My Favorite Ladies is one of my faves by him

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1669733)
Hip hop/rap is pretty hit and miss for me. I really don't know much about the genre.

I really don't like Tupac, Kanye West, Drake and Eminem stuff but have liked some Ghostface Killah, Camp Lo and Too $hort songs before.

Spoiler:

...I don't know what it is, but I like this song a lot.

oh man that's that old school Bay Area rap, super throwback. super misogynistic, but still, gotta love that G-Funk beat

Powder 03-22-2017 09:42 PM

This guy's ok, I guess.

https://powderakacaseyjones.bandcamp.com/album/i-am

:tcool::tlol:

I mostly listen to old-school boom bap & whatnot. My favorite acts are NWA, Gangstarr, House Of Pain, Wu-Tang Clan, & many more as you can guess.

Gotten into a bunch of Japanese hip-hop in recent years. Rhymester, King Giddra, Soulscream, Naked Artz, Buddha Brand, etc. This sh*t right here is hard as hell but it won't be for everyone 'cause of the language barrier. Still, you don't needa know the language to feel a tough track.

Don't listen to many modern acts but I do f**k with ASAP Mob & a few others.

Wesley 03-23-2017 03:29 PM

I'm not a big fan of rap music, but I like a few songs by eminem (e.g. Lose Yourself) and Timbaland (e.g. The Way I Are).

CyberCubed 03-23-2017 03:31 PM

Nobody knows about Tupac or Snoop dogg anymore.

Dust 03-23-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1670086)

Well that's a complete lie, anyone who's a fan of hip hop or rap know Tupac and Snoop Dogg.

edit: I'm listening to Kendrick and Gambino mostly at the moment, with a bit of Wu-Tang Clan mixed in.

Prowler 03-23-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

They do, especially Snoop Dogg since people who don't even care much about rap music like some of his songs.

CyberCubed 03-23-2017 05:31 PM

What do the young kids of today even listen to? I don't think they listen to rappers from the 90's or early 2000's anymore.

Prowler 03-23-2017 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1670145)
What do the young kids of today even listen to? I don't think they listen to rappers from the 90's or early 2000's anymore.

Pretty sure Snoop Dogg still makes songs.

They seem to like the likes of Kanye, Drake, Nicki Minaj and such. I don't like those at all, though.

Dust 03-23-2017 05:56 PM

My friends listen to Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino, and sometimes some Biggie, Tupac, Snoop Dogg etc.

ToTheNines 03-23-2017 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1669720)
I can't stop playing this Future joint

The MC is not my style, but that beat is killer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1669770)
I mostly listen to old-school boom bap & whatnot. My favorite acts are NWA, Gangstarr, House Of Pain, Wu-Tang Clan, & many more as you can guess.

What about Public Enemy? I always found it to pretty insane that Flav is the most famous member lol. Chuck D and Terminator are geniuses.

Quote:

Gotten into a bunch of Japanese hip-hop in recent years. Rhymester, King Giddra, Soulscream, Naked Artz, Buddha Brand, etc. This sh*t right here is hard as hell but it won't be for everyone 'cause of the language barrier. Still, you don't needa know the language to feel a tough track.

Yeah, those beats are all awesome. Who's their producer?

Also, do you know of Nujabes? He was my gateway drug into Japanese back when Samuari Champloo was on, I've kinda forgotten a lot of them, but I still bump him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 1670093)
Well that's a complete lie, anyone who's a fan of hip hop or rap know Tupac and Snoop Dogg.

edit: I'm listening to Kendrick and Gambino mostly at the moment, with a bit of Wu-Tang Clan mixed in.

I love Kendrick. I hate pretty much all mainstream stuff, but he's a real talent.

Not my favorite of his, but relevant to the fact that this is a TMNT thread:

snake 03-23-2017 07:08 PM

Give this a listen. So good.

ToTheNines 03-23-2017 09:29 PM

Snake, looks like you're trying to play Liquid Swords. Truly a classic. Probably my favorite Wu joint after Enter The Wu-Tang.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1669754)
I don't know much MF Doom, but I know what I like and I like what I know. My Favorite Ladies is one of my faves by him

I'm a total DOOM fanboy. I could rant all day about him.

I forgot he made a video for that one lol. It's kind of a rare track and I never heard it until I picked up his compilation album "Unexpected Guests". He ties the end of each track into the next, even though they're all from different albums. Several Wu Tang contributions. One of my favorite albums ever, a must-listen.

Here's a track off it. To keep my TMNT streak going, this one samples Rob Paulsen throughout:

ProphetofGanja 03-27-2017 10:15 PM

Damn my bad, finally on a computer. Couldn't do all this fancy copy/pasting on my phone.

Quote:

Of course they do, man, you know this! People just don't often bring them up, it's already known that they're some of the top godfathers of rap. This is probably my favorite Pac track:

Old School - 2 Pac
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 1670093)

I could post links to my favorite Snoop Dogg songs all day, so let me just list a few lesser known/under appreciated joints:
  • Murder Was the Case [Remix]
  • My Medicine ft. Willie Nelson
  • Lighters Up (as Snoop Lion) ft. Mavado & Popcaan
  • and then of course all of the fire features he's done over the years

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1670146)
Pretty sure Snoop Dogg still makes songs.

They seem to like the likes of Kanye, Drake, Nicki Minaj and such. I don't like those at all, though.

I actually like at least a few songs from all of those artists, so here's a pick for each:
  • Drake - Up All Night ft. Nicki Minaj
  • Nicki Minaj - Beez in the Trap ft. 2 Chainz
  • Kanye West - Famous
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust (Post 1670153)
My friends listen to Kendrick Lamar and Childish Gambino, and sometimes some Biggie, Tupac, Snoop Dogg etc.

I love K-dot, as well as the rest of the Top Dawg crew, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, ScHoolboy Q (the four together known as Black Hippy), SZA, Isaiah Rashad.

Here are some good tracks:
Spoiler:

Rigamortis - Kendrick Lamar

Money Trees - Kendrick Lamar ft. Jay Rock

Hood Gone Love It - Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar

Pineal Gland - Ab-Soul

Collard Greens - ScHoolboy Q ft. Kendrick Lamar

Zip That, Chop That - Black Hippy

U.O.E.N.O. [Black Hippy Remix] - Rocko

Constipation - Black Hippy

On Some Other Sh!t - Black Hippy

Ronnie Drake - Isaiah Rashad ft. SZA

Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino aka Troy Barnes is a really versatile creative dude. I loved him on Community, like most of his music, and his show Atlanta on FX was out-of-this-world good. I really love his feature on this N.A.S.A. track (North America/South America, a cool DJ project that always get a bunch of random awesome guest artists to make cool songs), remixed by Tropkillaz:

Hide - N.A.S.A. ft. Childish Gambino & Aynzli Jones [Tropkillaz Remix]
Spoiler:

Biggie will always be a King. My favorite track is actually a mash-up from an album with Biggie a cappellas over beats made from Frank or Nancy Sinatra songs:

Spoiler:
Dead Wrong/In My Room - The Notorious B.I.G. x Nancy Sinatra

Also, this is forever a classic. RIP
You're Nobody Till Somebody Kills You - The Notorious B.I.G.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1670159)
The MC is not my style, but that beat is killer.

What about Public Enemy? I always found it to pretty insane that Flav is the most famous member lol. Chuck D and Terminator are geniuses.

I love Kendrick. I hate pretty much all mainstream stuff, but he's a real talent.

Not my favorite of his, but relevant to the fact that this is a TMNT thread:

Spoiler:

Yeah, "mumble rap" as its apparently being called now is pretty hit-or-miss. Future always has good beats though, these are worth checking out:

Spoiler:

Cee-Lo - Future ft. Wale

Too Excited - Future

Itchin' - Future

Upper Echelon - Future

Old Hundreds - Future ft. Twista

Man, I LOVE me some Public Enemy. Power to the people and the beats!!!
  • He Got Game
  • Public Enemy No. 1
  • Fight The Power
  • By the Time I Get to Arizona
  • Give It Up
All classics. And I can't lie, I watched both seasons of Flavor of Love, that season of The Surreal Life, and The Roast of Flavor Flav (as well as the Katt Williams special that talked about his time working on The Roast of Flavor Flav) all out of love for P.E., and just to see wtf Flav is up to now :lol: I once dressed up as Flavor Flav for the Throwback Thursday day during Spirit Week in high school.

I also gotta admit, I got a soft spot for RiFF RAFF. He's an odd character, but when he's good, he's goood.

Spoiler:

TiME - RiFF RAFF

LAVA GLACiERS - RiFF RAFF FT. CHiLDiSH GAMBiNO

BRiCK OFF THE BALCONY - RiFF RAFF

REAL BOYZ - RiFF RAFF FT. OJ DA JUiCEMAN & CAP-1

BiRD ON A WiRE - RiFF RAFF & ACTiON BRONSON

Any Action Bronson fans here? I actually got into him from watching his cooking shows. Dude is a mad talented cook and now a burgeoning TV personality, he hosts a food/travel show on Viceland and him and his friends star on Traveling the Stars: Action Bronson and Friends Watch ‘Ancient Aliens’. Pretty funny if you're into that sort of thing.

Spoiler:

Easy Rider - Action Bronson

Actin' Crazy - Action Bronson

Alligator - Action Bronson

Alright, that was a lot. I've listened to all the songs you guys posted so post some for me. I'll leave you with this classic. I like to imagine the Turtles listening to this when they're on their way home from patrol or just kickin' it in their hideout.

ToTheNines 03-29-2017 04:46 PM

I love how Santolouco throws in Wu-Tang references in the lair. I've always thought they (or RZA) should do the soundtrack of TMNT movie. Even if it wasn't original, their whole library is that perfect mix of NYC grit and martial arts, just like TMNT.

Anyways, here's one of my favorites. Deltron 3030 is Del the Funkee Homosapien, Dan the Automator, and Kid Koala. Their albums are all concept pieces that take place in the dystopian future of 3030. This songs long, but worth it. Y'all can skip the first minute though.

TMNT related, this is from The BCASA's album "F*ck You Shredder". If anyone's into Punk at all the album is ace. Plenty of references to classic hip hop lyrics through out. Anyways, this is the rap they did at the end of the album, good stuff.

ToTheNines 03-31-2017 04:32 PM

One of my favorite songs ever. Good album. One Be Lo (first verse) is crazy underrated.

PApagreg 03-31-2017 09:44 PM

I know Nines already mentioned Madvillian but I really love this song

snake 05-06-2017 09:29 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Death Grips recently. Anyone else a fan?