The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Another movie from Platinum Dunes in the works - new writer hired (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=60133)

Galactus 06-20-2018 05:58 PM

I have to admit I'm shocked by this. I thought for sure that after the last movie flopped so hard it would be a long time before they'd chance another TMNT movie and grudgingly I thought that was for the best. Let the bad feelings about the previous movie series fade away.

I'd personally take a new TMNT movie whenever but they are letting Platinum Dunes do this again? I'm sorry but **** that ****. What is wrong with Paramount that after screwing up so badly last time they'd give the same people another shot?

I don't want to be mean. It's not like Platinum Dunes set out to make bad movies I'm sure they had good intentions but they're a small production company that mainly did horror remakes. Giving them what was supposed to be a blockbuster franchise they were out of their depth.

I'll even go as far as to say they gave it a good try, some of the pieces were there but I just don't think they were cut out to make the jump from low scale horror movies to tent pole comic book movies. Why would they even want to do TMNT again?

It's possible they are actually going with a more grounded TMNT movie akin to their horror remakes instead of big scale action they tried with their previous turtles efforts which would not a bad direction for Ninja Turtles but frankly I doubt Paramount is going to be at all interested in that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1765812)
It's at least worth acknowledging that these are the same producers as before. They seem willing to shift direction when something doesn't pan out.

I saw a Post-Out of the Shadows interview where they stated they thought they had the right ingredients (yikes), but that the audience wasn't there to support it. So they at least know they screwed up. If we are lucky, they'll once again pivot, perhaps accidentally, into something that's actually good.

Again I would say the people at Platinum Dunes are not villains. They did not deliberately set out to alienate fans or go against what the general audience wanted with a TMNT movie.

They did listen to feedback but I'm not sure they ever really understood it. Like they eventually relented to fan pressure and gave us a Japanese Shredder which on the one had was great but while taking one of the few prominent Asian characters in pop culture and changing him to a white guy was bad in itself it wasn't really the reason fans were pissed, it's because we wanted the Yoshi/Saki backstory - the character doesn't really work without it.

In the strictest terms they gave us what we wanted they just neglected the reasons why we wanted it.

Out Of The Shadows is an entire movies worth of examples of listening to feedback about the 2014 movie and learning the absolute wrong lessons from the it. Somethings are pretty understandable - a very vocal contingent has long forwarded the narrative that the Fred Wolf Show should be the primary basis and that TMNT is an inherently stupid concept so they should lean in to the stupid so I hope lesson learned on that score but I'm not sure.

By their own admission they don't know what went wrong and even with the best of intentions I don't have faith they can learn.


Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerClaw (Post 1765896)
Possibly who knows. What I don't want is them redoing the origin again. Just do a soft reboot.

Nope. Sorry it has to be a complete reboot. The last series has been written off a complete failure that no one should want to continue it. Even among its defenders no one likes the previous Platinum Dunes movies enough to carry anything over from them.

Also I'm sorry but any reboot is going to have to do the origin again. This is where we need to consider the general audience who are aware of TMNT but don't know much about it.

These people need to know who these characters are, how and why these characters do what they do.

The shorthand method of characterization and motivation used in the previous Platinum Dunes movies only work if you already know these characters well and even then not all the time. Take how screwed up Shredder working for Kra(a)ng seemed in Out Of The Shadows even to fans who are aware the characters worked together in the 80s show where they had a reason to do so.

Chris 06-20-2018 05:59 PM

Yeah. If we're skipping the origin completely or covering it quickly I'd love them to go Mirage inspired. If they want a full origin movie then go with IDW, it's something that hasn't been done and gives an interesting new angle on the Shredder rivalry. For a total reboot, going with an IDW origin movie is probably best. Remember we're still likely looking at 2020 at earliest for this, so that puts us 4 years away from OOTS and 6 years way from the poor excuse for an origin they tried in 2014.

Roseangelo 06-20-2018 06:08 PM

Nope thank you.

IndigoErth 06-20-2018 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galactus (Post 1765910)
...they a small production company that mainly did horror remakes. ...but I just don't think they were cut out to make the jump from low scale horror movies to tent pole comic book movies.

Maybe they aught to stick to what they know then.

If they must do TMNT then perhaps take them into what they know and do something that has been mentioned in this forum in the past... Do a TMNT horror with the Rat King. (I suppose aliens could also work.)

If they want something "that hasn't been done before," but with characters they can pull from the franchise... well there you go. The Turtles in a horror could be weird enough to draw an audience.


Then let another company handle the action packed comic book film series.

Papenbrook 06-20-2018 07:01 PM

Why doesn't Paramount Pictures/ Platinum Dunes allow women (or people who aren't otherwise white men) to write/direct future TMNT films?

Why does it always have to be white men?

bwwd 06-20-2018 07:10 PM

yPlease leave out feminist agenda to something else somewhere else :lol:
Anyways i think they should not continue with these turtles designs, ideally i would get guys in suits again and make it dark like first movie but even darker.
Kinda very accurate to mirage but im a bit of fedup with NEW tmnt movies and cartoons( and i can watch first TMNT movie every day , its great), theres a bit too much of that stuff and too much of it is remixed to appeal to todays generation of kids, i dont know if old movies were made with "oh we need to do it this way to make kids like our film", they just went with it and did not care how hip its gonna be for 90s.
On the other hand terminator 2 was coming out and it was something new and exciting but now after so many terminators... its a bit different and people are fedup a bit.Theres no element of surprise.So many incarnations and versions of the same thing, it puts people off a bit seeing different redesigns.
WOW i just saw how OOTS film flopped, major fail, you would expect they learned their lesson... no they didnt.I hope 3rd one with the same design fails even more.
Im super glad people did not went to see it and thats basically only thing they could do to boycott something they dont like... its like they dont see most obvious issue with these
new turtles... their look.You just cant do that when entire world has set expectatiions about something/someone looking certain way.Its like making rocky by castting anybody else than stallone.They went too far off.

Leo656 06-20-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1765920)
Why doesn't Paramount Pictures/ Platinum Dunes allow women (or people who aren't otherwise white men) to write/direct future TMNT films?

Why does it always have to be white men?

Supposition Answer: Perhaps there aren't enough qualified women/people of color?

I'm not in the boardrooms, so I don't know.

Factual Answer: Because Affirmative Action is racism and nobody should be given a job just to fill a quota.

Leolead 06-20-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AquaParade (Post 1765907)
As much as I love Mirage, I think the obvious thing to do is adapt the first year or two of the IDW book. There's a great foundation there. It's a fresh take, but true to the characters and the time hopping is a great cinematic hook.

I don't care for the reincarnation angle to be honest.

And you guys realize Platinum Dunes just made Quiet Place, right? I think they're trying to turn the stigma against them on it's head. They're trying to be better. Hopefully this reboot and the Dora movie will work out well for them.

Xiewin 06-20-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1765920)
Why doesn't Paramount Pictures/ Platinum Dunes allow women (or people who aren't otherwise white men) to write/direct future TMNT films?

Why does it always have to be white men?

What does this have to do with anything? Who cares what their skin color is.

Leolead 06-20-2018 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1765923)
Supposition Answer: Perhaps there aren't enough qualified women/people of color?

I'm not in the boardrooms, so I don't know.

Factual Answer: Because Affirmative Action is racism and nobody should be given a job just to fill a quota.

Umm, I'm pretty sure there are dozens of women and people of color who are qualified to write and direct these films, dude. That was a pretty random thing for that guy to bring up but what he's saying is wrong with PD is a problem within the Hollywood industry as a whole. It's not just relegated to them.

Affirmative action isn't racist. It's about giving people who are economically disadvantaged equal opportunity as other more fortunate groups.

sdp 06-20-2018 07:42 PM

I hope it's a third movie based on the 2014 reboot, it's too early for ANOTHER reboot, especially with one having the same people involved. With the 2014 universe we already have mutants and dimension hopping established, they can go full crazy with this third movie.

Having a reboot so soon that will likely not be that good is only going to hurt the franchise, at least a sequel to the 2014 movie will only taint that already tainted series.

Leo656 06-20-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leolead (Post 1765927)
Umm, I'm pretty sure there are dozens of women and people of color who are qualified to write and direct these films, dude. That was a pretty random thing for that guy to bring up but what he's saying is wrong with PD is a problem within the Hollywood industry as a whole. It's not just relegated to them.

Affirmative action isn't racist. It's about giving people who are economically disadvantaged equal opportunity as other more fortunate groups.

If they are qualified, then why aren't they writing/directing the TMNT movie(s)? Could be they're not collectively applying their talents in that direction, for all you or I know.

Anyways, neither you nor I make the decision as to who is "qualified". They can have qualifications out the ass, if they're not hired by someone else to do the job then it ultimately doesn't make any difference.

And being over a certain age, I refuse to believe that everything can be boiled down to "Straight White Male Conspiracy".

Affirmative Action IS racist because it ultimately says if you only have 5 job openings, then at least 2 of them have to be filled by women or people of color because otherwise "It isn't fair", even if those people did poorly on their interview, had a spotty resume, whatever. They showed up, therefore, they "earned" a spot. By definition it creates separate sets of "rules" and standards based on gender and/or skin color. Things should never, EVER work that way.

Don't misread me, son. If women or people of color are genuinely qualified they deserve to get whatever jobs they apply for in any and every industry - individually, and based on MERIT. Not collectively, "because the numbers aren't even."

We've already seen undeniable progress in recent years with regards to which people are rising to positions of power within the entertainment industry, and we're seeing more of it every day. So it stands to reason there's no "conspiracy"; if more women and people of color aren't being tasked with writing or directing TMNT movies, it's either because A: They're not pushing for those jobs, or B: Someone decided that someone else was more qualified. It really can be that simple.

AquaParade 06-20-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1765939)
If they are qualified, then why aren't they writing/directing the TMNT movie(s)? Could be they're not collectively applying their talents in that direction, for all you or I know.

Anyways, neither you nor I make the decision as to who is "qualified". They can have qualifications out the ass, if they're not hired by someone else to do the job then it ultimately doesn't make any difference.

And being over a certain age, I refuse to believe that everything can be boiled down to "Straight White Male Conspiracy".

Affirmative Action IS racist because it ultimately says if you only have 5 job openings, then at least 2 of them have to be filled by women or people of color because otherwise "It isn't fair", even if those people did poorly on their interview, had a spotty resume, whatever. They showed up, therefore, they "earned" a spot. By definition it creates separate sets of "rules" and standards based on gender and/or skin color. Things should never, EVER work that way.

Don't misread me, son. If women or people of color are genuinely qualified they deserve to get whatever jobs they apply for in any and every industry - individually, and based on MERIT. Not collectively, "because the numbers aren't even."

We've already seen undeniable progress in recent years with regards to which people are rising to positions of power within the entertainment industry, and we're seeing more of it every day. So it stands to reason there's no "conspiracy"; if more women and people of color aren't being tasked with writing or directing TMNT movies, it's either because A: They're not pushing for those jobs, or B: Someone decided that someone else was more qualified. It really can be that simple.

I would love to see you talk some sense into the resetera forum. Probably not worth your time or blood pressure, but it’s a hive mind and you construct your thoughts well, so it’d be cathartic for me.

Anyways, I wonder if it’s a bit of a snowball effect. If people in the past have been overlooked because they weren’t a white male (something I’m really not equipped to attest to either way), it could lead to less jobs in that field being chased by said minorities. Like I said, it’s not a call I can make, so I’m just pontificating.

FredWolfLeonardo 06-20-2018 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papenbrook (Post 1765920)
Why doesn't Paramount Pictures/ Platinum Dunes allow women (or people who aren't otherwise white men) to write/direct future TMNT films?

Why does it always have to be white men?

Because Paramount is behind a conspiracy to make Women submissive housewives who will pump babies all the time.

Leo656 06-20-2018 08:55 PM

I'm generally all for keeping the chickens at home barefoot and pregnant - and for the love of God, off of the goddamn roads where people try and drive - but I think the world is already full of stupid people and we don't need too many more. So I'm gonna call Ixnay on them pumping out large numbers of festering hellspawn.

Maybe Paramount can pay them to sit at home and weave. Lord knows there's an all-time low in the number of people who can successfully work a loom. Maybe it's a racist, sexist conspiracy.

Redeemer 06-20-2018 09:03 PM

Can we just get Steve Barron as director and use Matais and Dan Duncan for character design and have Tom Waltz write it with Matais also helping with the writing as well???? Get a true TMNT comic book movie.

ranger_scout 06-20-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPug (Post 1765803)
Platinum Dunes is still involved but not sure if this new movie is connected to the two previous abominations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true

When I heard that a new film was happening I was expecting it to go the route that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy went, which is to make a gritter take on a comic-book property and avoid the humorous and brighter tone of the 1960's Batman TV series that Batman Forever and Batman & Robin had. I just didn't think that Paramount would want to make another film inspired by the 1987 animated series.

However, after reading that a screenwriter for a comedy film is penning the script for this new one and that Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes were still involved I was wrong. I just don't want them to go full-overblown on toilet humor.

Technogeek29 06-20-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1765833)
Oh my god, why? I thought we were done! This raises so many questions.

You wanna make another TMNT movie? Fine! But why go with the producers again? Nobody liked the first two and the second didn't even break even, why entrust the same producers a third time? Is this a Fant4stic scenario or some crap? Do they have to make a TMNT movie every 5 years or something? That's the only way I can make sense of this, that or some kind of tax write-off.

The only good(?) news is that the hired a brand new script writer. While he really only has one movie under his belt, at lest it seemed somewhat well received (I guess I'll check it out once I know for whter or not this movie gets made. The weird thing is that he's making Space Jam 2. What's with this guy and writing sequels nobpdy asked for? Anyway, he can't be much worse than the previous writers.

Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec were awful at writing TMNT, the former wrote one single movie before TMNT and the other was basically only involved with television before. Evan Daugherty wasn't much better, though I suspect he or Jonathan Liebesman might have been the reason the first one didn't suck quite as hard. He's not good but Jonathan Liebesman is at least far more experienced than Dave Green, so that might just be it. Not that I want either back in the director's chair.

In terms of writer and director... I don't know... There might not be many critically acclaimed directors who'd want to make TMNT movies, but there's gotta be someone with a track record of OK movies, right? Like a Ron Howard. And maybe you need an experienced screen writer as well (though the previous ones barely qualified) but if they insisted on multiple writers before, why not bring someone familiar with the material. Bring in Tom Waltz or Paul Allor or someone, I have no idea how they're as screen writers but at least then I'd be confident the characters wouldn't annoy me as much.

Do not tempt the god of Fate.

Galactus 06-20-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1765915)
Maybe they aught to stick to what they know then.

If they must do TMNT then perhaps take them into what they know and do something that has been mentioned in this forum in the past... Do a TMNT horror with the Rat King. (I suppose aliens could also work.)

If they want something "that hasn't been done before," but with characters they can pull from the franchise... well there you go. The Turtles in a horror could be weird enough to draw an audience.


Then let another company handle the action packed comic book film series.

Sure but if you were in their place a small company looking to branch out and a major studio like Paramount hands you a major franchise like TMNT would you say no?

It's actually baffling that Paramount gave them something they wanted to be as big as Iron Man to a company like Platinum Dunes. I suspect they saw what Bay did for Transformers and while there was no amount of money that would get Bay to direct another 80s nostalgia property they thought getting a company that Bay owns part of to produce was probably the next best thing.

I still think it's strange they'd go again with Platinum Dunes given how badly the last movie did and that they'd even want to. They're still a small company and had to turn down other projects to devote time to TMNT that you'd think they'd be wary of tackling it again.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread they are trying to better their image and scored a win with Quiet Place but that's a horror movie so plays in their wheel house. I'm not sure we need to go full on horror for TMNT but something more grounded and edgy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwwd (Post 1765921)
Kinda very accurate to mirage but im a bit of fedup with NEW tmnt movies and cartoons( and i can watch first TMNT movie every day , its great), theres a bit too much of that stuff and too much of it is remixed to appeal to todays generation of kids, i dont know if old movies were made with "oh we need to do it this way to make kids like our film", they just went with it and did not care how hip its gonna be for 90s

Of course 90s movies were made with 90s kids in mind. I doubt anyone working on Secret of the Ooze thought Vanilla Ice was going to have a long and respected music career.

Truth is we're not the demographic that is going to make a movie a hit in 2018, that doesn't mean they should do things to alienate us and reinvent things just for the sake of it but any studio is going to think what will work for young people now. Not what would have worked in the 80s and 90s.

I think that was one of the many problems with Out Of The Shadows. It was aimed at a much younger audience but based on a version of the franchise popular in the 80s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1765923)
Supposition Answer: Perhaps there aren't enough qualified women/people of color?

I'm not in the boardrooms, so I don't know.

Factual Answer: Because Affirmative Action is racism and nobody should be given a job just to fill a quota.

Are you saying that someone like Patty Jenkins could not have done a better Superman movie than Zack Snyder? It's not like she's be uninterested as she'd was interested in doing Thor: The Dark World and definitely would have made a better Thor sequel too.

Ryan Coogler could easily have done any solo Marvel movie whether he'd be interested is probably a different story but he totally could.

WB and Marvel Studios sought them out specifically to do the first female and black led super hero pictures with the sincere belief that they'd give those movies a genuine voice which is great but it's questionable why directors like them are only sought out for very specific movies.

How would a woman or poc do directing a TMNT movie? I don't know but I'm sure they couldn't do worse than Liebesman or Green.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1765928)
I hope it's a third movie based on the 2014 reboot, it's too early for ANOTHER reboot, especially with one having the same people involved. With the 2014 universe we already have mutants and dimension hopping established, they can go full crazy with this third movie.

Having a reboot so soon that will likely not be that good is only going to hurt the franchise, at least a sequel to the 2014 movie will only taint that already tainted series.

At very least it will be a soft reboot. There's no way they are going to directly continue a story that flopped and hardly anyone watched.

After the failure of Out Of The Shadows would Paramount even put the kind of money to make PD TMNT 3? Then again it's still shocking they would even go with Platinum Dunes at all after last time so anything is possible but the Platinum Dunes guys already said a third sequel was not going to happen and floated a reboot so that is way more likely and make way more sense.

ranger_scout 06-20-2018 09:29 PM

A writer from The Hollywood Reporter is wondering if this time they will be going for a different tone for this upcoming movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1121979


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.