The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Classic music from olden times (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56325)

CyberCubed 09-01-2016 01:08 AM

Classic music from olden times

They don't make them like this anymore.

Icebot 09-01-2016 06:14 AM

Has most of my favorite music!

Refractive Reflections 09-02-2016 02:06 AM

"Classic music"... lol, considering that song ("Just The Two Of Us") is from 1981. I assumed "classic" would refer back to 1950s and earlier.

But yeah, the romantic slow ballad is basically nonexistent nowadays in Top 40 radio, though there is the very rare exception with Adele currently (but even she rarely produces optimistic love songs).

Psychology professors are noticing that popular music has been substantially more narcissistic, which some of them seem to conclude is a reflection about contemporary society:

http://www.thewire.com/national/2011...se-days/36274/
http://www.neatorama.com/2016/07/23/...-Narcissistic/
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/26/135745...-in-pop-lyrics

Quote:

The first piece of evidence comes from psychologists Keith Campbell of the University of Georgia and Jean Twenge of San Diego State University. For a book called "The Narcissism Epidemic" (Free Press 2009), Campbell and Twenge analyzed several decades worth of data from the Narcissism Personality Inventory, a questionnaire administered in psychology surveys that asks participants to choose between two statements like "I try not to be a show-off" and "I will usually show off if I get the chance." The psychologists found that narcissism has been growing since the early 1980s, especially among young people.

Nathan DeWall, a psychologist at the University of Kentucky, has come to the same conclusion based on quite a different avenue of research. DeWall and his colleagues analyzed the lyrics of songs on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart from 1980 to 2007. They found a statistically significant trend toward narcissism in the music, with the words "I" and "me" gradually replacing "we" and "us." Recent examples of narcissism in popular songs include Justin Timberlake's 2006 proclamation, "I'm bringing sexy back," and Beyoncé's 2005 line, "It's blazin', you watch me in amazement."

Corresponding to the rise in narcissism is a related trend toward hostility and anger and away from happiness and contentment. Narcissism and outward hostility have been linked by psychology research in the past, and DeWall's analysis, published in the journal Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity and the Arts, shows that it is linked in song lyrics as well.

"In the early '80s lyrics, love was easy and positive, and about two people," Twenge told the New York Times. "The recent songs are about what the individual wants, and how she or he has been disappointed or wronged."

In the 2008 Weezer song "I'm the Greatest Man that Ever Lived," for example, lead singer Rivers Cuomo sings "I'm the meanest in the place, step up, I'll mess with your face." The irony? The song is a remake — and rewrite — of an old Christian folk song about love and humility.
http://www.livescience.com/13879-son...sism-rise.html

I highly doubt these type of songs could regain their prominent spots of the past if they were released today :P:

U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #2 - October 1986

U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #1 - June 1987

U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #6 - December 1989

U.S. Billboard Hot 100: #1 - March/April 1992

CyberCubed 09-02-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections (Post 1619385)
"Classic music"... lol, considering that song ("Just The Two Of Us") is from 1981. I assumed "classic" would refer back to 1950s and earlier.

80's music is now classic. The passage of time has made the 80's more than 30 years old.

If back in the 80's people considered 50's music "classic" when it was only 20 years prior, then certainly now 80's music is classic. The young kids of today have never bought a CD player in their life, let alone casette tapes or Sony walkmans.

plastroncafe 09-02-2016 02:51 PM

Spike Spiegel 09-03-2016 09:42 AM

I could tell this was a CyberCubed thread just from the title.

CyberCubed 09-03-2016 11:44 AM

Here's another great oldie but goodie:

Man, classical music just had so much heart and soul in it. The young kids of today don't know what they're missing. Anyone else love classical music like this?

TurtleTitan97 09-03-2016 11:46 AM

I don't think you know what "classical music" even means.

TheSkeletonMan939 09-03-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1619638)
Man, classical music just had so much heart and soul in it. The young kids of today don't know what they're missing. Anyone else love classical music like this?

That's not classical, you dunce.
THIS is an example of classical.

Indeed, the kids really don't know what they're missing.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-03-2016 11:54 AM

What's classical changes over time as the Futurama clip shows.

ToTheNines 09-03-2016 11:57 AM

My favorite classical music

I'm sure cubed thinks it's heavy metal though.

CyberCubed 09-03-2016 04:03 PM

Does this count as classical music? I remember it being popular when I was a kid:

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-03-2016 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1619695)
Does this count as classical music? I remember it being popular when I was a kid:

I've told you before, boy, don't bring up Billy Ray Cyrus. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've done.

Refractive Reflections 09-03-2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1619463)
80's music is now classic. The passage of time has made the 80's more than 30 years old.

If back in the 80's people considered 50's music "classic" when it was only 20 years prior, then certainly now 80's music is classic. The young kids of today have never bought a CD player in their life, let alone casette tapes or Sony walkmans.

Okay, we're talking about relative to present day society. I assumed the term "classic" would be used in reference to your lifetime since that term is subjective depending on an individual's generation with you being the OP.

So what would you consider "oldies"? What would consider music from the 40s-60s? "Ancient"? :lol:

Now enjoy these decade-old music videos to remind you of your age CyberCubed ;):

MikeandRaph87 09-03-2016 11:47 PM

This is what I have been listening to through my local station that carries it.
http://www.themikeharveyshow.com/

Cure 09-05-2016 04:23 PM

I've always thought there was a difference between classic and classicAL.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-05-2016 05:23 PM

Nelly Furtado didn't last long in the spotlight, did she? I liked her better than Fergie, at least.

MsMarvelDuckie 09-05-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1620292)
I've always thought there was a difference between classic and classicAL.

Yup. ClassicAL is music from 1900's and earlier-symphonic concert pieces like Beethoven's 5th or Wagner's operas. Motzart, Bach, Handel etc....

Classic denotes anything more than 30 years old IE- "classic rock" or "classic pop". "Oldies" would be anything pre-1970.

CyberCubed 09-06-2016 04:55 PM

Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is basically classical music nowadays.

MikeandRaph87 09-06-2016 05:34 PM

Drop the 'al" in classical. This is classical for an example, Mozart's LaCromosa that can be heard is a few film soundtracks.

You mean 'classic' if it was a hit or if it is just a certain amount of years of age it is 'retro'.

I seriously suggest you listen to Mike Harvey tonight. You can call in and make a request. I am curious to what you might ask Mike to play. You can make a request by calling in or by leaving a post on the Facebook page for the show.