The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Animation is underappreciated medium (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=62318)

Egon1982 02-14-2020 05:18 PM

Animation is underappreciated medium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYUCzG8CgLw

here's a video essay thinking we don't fully appreciate the unique art of animation.

IMJ 02-14-2020 05:45 PM

I appreciate the guy's points, but it's an old argument. When I was a kid the push to take animation seriously was championed by examples of anime and smooth-frame-rate Disney animation as art.

I think that people appreciate animation quite a bit - more nowadays with my generation in adulthood than ever before to be honest. We had parents who subscribed to all of the hard cliches of their generation - cartoons are for kids, animation is for laughs, etc. But gen x dove into our pop culture and now in our 40s most of us still watch some form of cartoons - therefore animation is more appreciated than ever before. The longest running show in TV history is animation that begin as Gen X'rs were turning on T.V.'s as kids.

Animation can still be underappreciated, but I'd argue that it is also more appreciated now than ever before.

IndigoErth 02-14-2020 05:52 PM

I agree, it's by far more common for adults to watch cartoons now and for cartoons made for adults to even exist.

I find some of the shift to the flash sort or whatever is going on with that that's cutting corners isn't helping it as it's just looking cheaper as a result of presumably trying to be cheaper. But that it exists and is a common medium for all ages is continually increasing.

Now, Disney 2D animated films on the other hand... there's an art that's being lost. :tconfuse:

FredWolfLeonardo 02-14-2020 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1835609)
Now, Disney 2D animated films on the other hand... there's an art that's being lost. :tconfuse:

Yeah, that's a real shame, especially because Disney was arguably at their peak of 2D animated films (the Renaissance) before they began to be phazed out.

There's just something about 2D animation which I find so much more appealing than 3D animated films.

In terms of Disney, my favourite showcase of 2D animation has to be from the film Tarzan.
Other than being super well drawn and fluid (seriously, that fight scene with the Leopard still holds up today), the film really mixes 2D and 3D animation well, if you look at the scenes of Tarzan surfing on the trees.

Egon1982 02-14-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1835609)
I agree, it's by far more common for adults to watch cartoons now and for cartoons made for adults to even exist.

I find some of the shift to the flash sort or whatever is going on with that that's cutting corners isn't helping it as it's just looking cheaper as a result of presumably trying to be cheaper. But that it exists and is a common medium for all ages is continually increasing.

Adult animation does exist like Fritz the Cat, Heavy Metal, Wizards, Simpsons (Seasons 1 to Behind the Laughter), Bojack Horseman, Watership Down, American Pop, Plague Dogs, Aeon Flux, Liquid TV, Fire and Ice, Starchaser Legend of Orin, The Maxx, Spawn TAS, The Head, Duckman, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Castlevania, Love Death and Robots, DC animation and more etc. are proof animation isn't just for kids.

PApagreg 02-15-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMJ (Post 1835606)
Animation can still be underappreciated, but I'd argue that it is also more appreciated now than ever before.

I agree while I do think The West(especially America) sort of undervalue the strengths of animation I do agree we are getting better especially in T.V adult animation. While this isn't the first we see T.V adult animation deal with serious subjects in a respectful manner(Duckman/Futurama) this is probably the first time we see it in this quantity. In the past 6 years alone we had numerous of animated dramedies(Bojack Horseman, F is for family, Tuca and Bertie and Undone) action shows(Lastman, Seis Manos, Castlevania, and Primal) and more experimental series

Egon1982 02-16-2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PApagreg (Post 1835716)
I agree while I do think The West(especially America) sort of undervalue the strengths of animation I do agree we are getting better especially in T.V adult animation. While this isn't the first we see T.V adult animation deal with serious subjects in a respectful manner(Duckman/Futurama) this is probably the first time we see it in this quantity. In the past 6 years alone we had numerous of animated dramedies(Bojack Horseman, F is for family, Tuca and Bertie and Undone) action shows(Lastman, Seis Manos, Castlevania, and Primal) and more experimental series

Don't forget Spawn TAS, old school The Simpsons (1989 to Behind the laughter, no Zombie Simpsons which is seasons 12 to now), Aeon Flux, The Maxx, The Head, King of the Hill, Cowboy Bebop etc.

Animation is an underappreciated medium.

I've always appreciated animation more than live action despite there is some great live action films i enjoy. I wish that more people stopped judging animation as a whole to due to trends or outdated standards.

TommyT 02-16-2020 01:01 AM

solid animation:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/e075...bc5a/tenor.gif

No current "modern" 2d animation shows come close.

Leo656 02-16-2020 01:04 AM

That needs to be at the end of every post forever.

Jesus.

TommyT 02-16-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1835751)

Jesus.

But don't you know, Rise has just the BESTEST animation ever!!!

Leo656 02-16-2020 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1835752)
But don't you know, Rise has just the BESTEST animation ever!!!

Nah, no ass on that show.

Seriously, not one f*ckable character. As an HONEST red-blooded American straight male, I mostly pick and choose my entertainment by way of the ol' Divining Rod (Penis). An' I ain't got time for nonsense. You got about twenty-five seconds to throw some T&A at me or I'm done with your movie/show forever.

This is why I've seen every episode of Sabrina The Teenage Witch multiple times but can't tell you a single thing about it, except for the movies Beth Broderick got naked in. And of course I know that.

drgon78 02-16-2020 04:38 AM

Animation is truly an underappreciated medium, in fact it is so underappreciated that many people think it is a genre, not even a medium.

IMJ 02-16-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1835749)
solid animation:

There's an entire cohort that came of age in the last decade whose lens doesn't focus on any event, thing, or work done that predates their existenc; unless that event was something negative that they can make outcry against. And so they assert these nonsense arguments as if they've made an original observation of some kind.

Egon1982 02-20-2020 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drgon78 (Post 1835767)
Animation is truly an underappreciated medium, in fact it is so underappreciated that many people think it is a genre, not even a medium.

Agree, it deserves more respect.

MsMarvelDuckie 02-20-2020 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyT (Post 1835749)
solid animation:

OMG! I own that movie on vhs, and even remember when it first came out in theaters! (Brad Pitt's first STARRING role, btw) It is super trippy to watch, and one of my favorite "adult" animated movies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1835751)

Jesus.

Is it weird that I even know exactly what scene of the movie that clip is from?

Coola Yagami 02-21-2020 08:47 AM

I like how they somehow had sex with clothes on. Like obviously they could get away with so much but they could have at least kept the camera up to imply Holli was nude from the waist down. Even as a kid I found that funny.

I also don't know why Kim Basinger wasn't given the exact same outfit Holli had, like she had an extra transparent shirt on or some junk. Why bring her in to be the 'real' Holli if she was afraid to show as much skin?

Egon1982 02-22-2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1836347)
OMG! I own that movie on vhs, and even remember when it first came out in theaters! (Brad Pitt's first STARRING role, btw) It is super trippy to watch, and one of my favorite "adult" animated movies.

Is it weird that I even know exactly what scene of the movie that clip is from?

What other adult animated movies you like? i like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Fantastic Planet, Watership Down, Roger Rabbit, american Pop, Pink Floyd the Wall, Lightyears aka Gandahar, South Park the movie, Beavis and Butthead Do America, Fritz the Cat, Hey Good Looking, Starchaser Legend of Orin, Dark Knight Returns, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Wicked City, Golgo 13 Professional, Princess Mononoke and more

Leo656 02-23-2020 12:20 AM

If y'ever wanna see someone have a stroke in real-time, track down Ralph Bakshi and ask him about "Cool World".

Spoiler: He hates it. :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie 02-23-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1836378)
I like how they somehow had sex with clothes on. Like obviously they could get away with so much but they could have at least kept the camera up to imply Holli was nude from the waist down. Even as a kid I found that funny.

I also don't know why Kim Basinger wasn't given the exact same outfit Holli had, like she had an extra transparent shirt on or some junk. Why bring her in to be the 'real' Holli if she was afraid to show as much skin?

Actually, it was heavily implied that she had no underthings on, just the (veeery short) skimpy dress. Also, Holli wore three separate outfits in the movie, of which the one Kim wore after turning human was one. And it was almost identical to the cartoon version. (She changes into it right after they have sex, but don't ask me how the dress became "real", lol!) Yes, I've watched this movie waaay too many times. Mostly for the trippy background animations- very Escher/Geiger-esque! (And Dali, and Picasso....)

Also, Fun Fact- Brad Pitt HATED doing that movie and when asked about doing another green screen, he said "Never again"! And still hasn't.

MsMarvelDuckie 02-23-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egon1982 (Post 1836539)
What other adult animated movies you like? i like Heavy Metal, Wizards, Fire and Ice, Fantastic Planet, Watership Down, Roger Rabbit, american Pop, Pink Floyd the Wall, Lightyears aka Gandahar, South Park the movie, Beavis and Butthead Do America, Fritz the Cat, Hey Good Looking, Starchaser Legend of Orin, Dark Knight Returns, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Wicked City, Golgo 13 Professional, Princess Mononoke and more

Heavy Metal is another fave of mine, as well as Roger Rabbit, and I love Ninja Scroll, Akira, Princess Mononoke, Biohunter, and a number of other anime. The Wall is one I can watch, but find somewhat disturbing for all the overused Nazi and sexual imagery. It just doesn't sit well. Could never stand Beavis and Butthead, nor South Park, but I love Aeon Flux, The Maxx, and some of the other shorts from that era.