The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Your unpopular TMNT opinions (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=61448)

Prowler 05-25-2019 11:45 PM

Your unpopular TMNT opinions

In such a divided fandom as TMNT, I'm sure some people will have A LOT to say. It can be about anything TMNT related. From the comics, to the cartoons, to the video games, to the merchandise, to Coming Out of Their Shells and to even the anime OVA.

But tbh, I don't think I have THAT many unpopular TMNT opinions myself, come to think about it. Lemme see...

I like Carter: Yes, I do. I know most fans don't like or care about him, but I think he was OK. And wouldn't mind seeing him again one day if done right.

Making April younger and then Black was absurd: April was fine being a woman in her 20s. it's not like the Turtles in Mirage, FW or 2k3 acted like human 15-16 year olds do. So I've never seen anything odd about their friendship with April. Making both her and the Turtles younger is a decision I didn't like. And making her Black out of pure tokenistic reasons was also absurd. A lot of history revisionism has been spread on these forums "April being Black all along!".

I'm not a fan of Slash or the concept itself: More than 4 mutant Turtles is a no-no for me. That's all.

Turtles in Time, while a pretty good game, is rather overrated: I remember ScrewAttack listing it #1 in their "best beat 'em ups ever" top 10 in like 2007 or so and suddenly a lot of people online saying that as well. Come on now, it was a fun game, but I consider Final Fight and Streets of Rage superior. Plus, I'd argue that the original TMNT Arcade game is superior to both the Arcade and SNES versions of Turtles in Time.

The hell with Bay Turtles: Now you're gonna tell me "Huh OP, a lot of us hate those too". Well sure, but A LOT of people watched them and liked them. Hell, there's people on these forums that have admitted to have WILLINGLY PAID to watch those movies several times at the cinema. Like buying 3-4 tickets to re-watch them.

Booyakasha is a terrible catchphrase for the TMNT: Not that Cowabunga was exactly original back then either, but you could say it was them alongside The Simpsons who made ti mainstream. While, when you think of Booyakasha, Ali G is who springs to your mind. I like Ali G and all, but the last thing on my mind while watching Ali G or anything Sasha Baron Cohen is TMNT. Honestly, what was wrong with cowabunga? Is it because it was old and outdated? Well, booyaasha wasn't exactly hip in 2012 anymore either. Ali G stopped being cool in like... 2005? The TMNT Nick toon is from 2012.

What makes some of these opinions unpopular? Well, I use these forums as a barometer for what more "hardcore" TMNT fans think. 99% of TMNT fans I see outside of this place are the "FW and first 3 movies only" variety. So...

Leo656 05-25-2019 11:54 PM

I like Slash - although his character is very inconsistently portrayed - but I agree with most of that. I love Turtles In Time but it's a 25-minute game, so yeah, not perfect.

I don't love Mirage, and I despise Jim Lawson's art. That can get you shot around here.

Prowler 05-25-2019 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1807592)
I like Slash - although his character is very inconsistently portrayed - but I agree with most of that. I love Turtles In Time but it's a 25-minute game, so yeah, not perfect.

I don't love Miragr, and I despise Jim Lawson's art. That can get you shot around here.

Yeah, fun quick game and all, but I can't just see it as a GOAT kind of game. Not even as the cream of the crop of its genre.

Well, I have only read about 15-20 issues or so of Mirage so far so I can't really say much about it yet. Some issues felt like a chore to sit through, though, but I guess there's always bound to be a few bad issues in a long-running series.

Also, you misspellt "Mirage". Guess you do make typos, after all :trazz:

Sobble 05-26-2019 12:10 AM

I like rise of the tmnt

Oh **** the salty haters are coming at me

snake 05-26-2019 12:14 AM

-Rise is genuinely good

-The franchise needs to stop focusing on the same old sh*t

-The 2k12 turtles and their interactions feel the most real out of every incarnation

-The OT- for the most part- is unwatchable

-TMNT 2007 is a decent movie, despite it's flaws

Leo656 05-26-2019 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1807594)
Also, you misspellt "Mirage". Guess you do make typos, after all :trazz:

Thanks, I was on my phone. Aaaand that's why I generally don't post with my phone.

AT-Man 05-26-2019 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1807590)
I'm not a fan of Slash or the concept itself: More than 4 mutant Turtles is a no-no for me. That's all.

I think in 2012 version Slash/Spike was a tortoise, so technically he doesn't have to be a fifth turtle :twink:

I hate the original Shredder action figure. It's in a weird stance and looks dumb.

I have no problem making the turtles' shells virtually bullet proof, but their skins shouldn't be.

I hate it when the turtles are depicted retracting fully into their shells. HOW are their limbs and head supposed to fit in there??? :tgrumble:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-26-2019 02:17 AM

April O'Neil

Quote:

Making April younger

I think most people prefer April O'Neil being in her 20's.

sdp 05-26-2019 08:45 AM

I post these all the time but The Next Mutation is not that bad and neither are Bay turtles,not saying they're not disappointing in different regards but crap like COOTS gets less hate when it's far more awfu.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-26-2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1807640)
I post these all the time but The Next Mutation is not that bad and neither are Bay turtles,not saying they're not disappointing in different regards but crap like COOTS gets less hate when it's far more awfu.

Didn't the Platinum Dunes films already get enough hate during the 2010's?

Jester 05-26-2019 10:10 AM

Not sure how unpopular it is, but I feel TMNT III is underrated and if they had stuck with Henson made suits, would easily be the 2nd best TMNT movie, because nothing will ever beat the original.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-26-2019 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1807651)
Not sure how unpopular it is, but I feel TMNT III is underrated and if they had stuck with Henson made suits, would easily be the 2nd best TMNT movie, because nothing will ever beat the original.

To me, it already is (I have talked about why so many thrads it's getting tiresome now)

Spoiler:
Secret of the Ooze removed the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen

Wesley 05-26-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1807600)
-Rise is genuinely good

-The franchise needs to stop focusing on the same old sh*t

-The 2k12 turtles and their interactions feel the most real out of every incarnation

-The OT- for the most part- is unwatchable

-TMNT 2007 is a decent movie, despite it's flaws

Agree with most of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1807651)

Same. Nostalgia could be clouding my judgment, though, as III was the only TMNT film I saw as a kid.

I’ll add that Secret of the Ooze is the worst TMNT film, not BayTurtles.

Autbot_Benz 05-26-2019 11:06 AM

Stop making the Turtles comedy goofballs its ok to make them serious ninja in cartoons.

The 3rd TMNT movie is not that bad its more enjoyable than the two turds that came out of Micheal Bay's ass

FW is massively overrated and not that good though its more tolerable than Rise is.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-26-2019 11:15 AM

Booyakasha

Quote:

Booyakasha is a terrible catchphrase for the TMNT:

I don't think it is that popular.

I see Cowabunga more as an expression for something awsome, and Booyakasha as a battlecry.

Prowler 05-26-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1807657)
Stop making the Turtles comedy goofballs its ok to make them serious ninja in cartoons.

The 3rd TMNT movie is not that bad its more enjoyable than the two turds that came out of Micheal Bay's ass

FW is massively overrated and not that good though its more tolerable than Rise is.

It's really amazing how Bay Turtles made the 3rd TMNT movie and Next Mutation look OK in comparison. It really is. Boy, I miss the days where TNM/Venus de Milo and the 3rd TMNT movie were considered the worst TMNT versions ever.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 05-26-2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1807687)
It's really amazing how Bay Turtles made the 3rd TMNT movie and Next Mutation look OK in comparison. It really is. Boy, I miss the days where TNM/Venus de Milo and the 3rd TMNT movie were considered the worst TMNT versions ever.

You forgot the stageshow, We Wish You a Turtle Christmas video film and Operation Blue Line.

neatoman 05-26-2019 04:04 PM

I like the Mark Martin issues.

DevilSpooky 05-26-2019 07:01 PM

Ok let's see,

- I deslike the FW show, sure I grew up with it and made me and everyone else love these boys but boy, does it stink...

- I hate Zulli's trilogy.

- I hate Andy Kuhn's art.

- I Like Venus, still hate the show though...

- I rather have the PD movies then Rise, at last they got the guys personalities right.

- Archie are the best comics.

- I love the new interpertations of old characters and love the crossovers with different versions of Turtles.

- Love Fast Forward and despise the Ninja Tribunal season.

- Love the Turtle Saints and would love a full anime series of them.

- Leo is the most boring and bland of the boys (still love him though, just a little less then his brothers).

- I like Re-Shelled, not as good as the original but it's still a good game.

- Also think Out of the Shadows is one of the best games in the series, at least one of the top 3.

sdp 05-26-2019 07:51 PM

Tournament Fighters Genesis is more fun than Tournament Fighters SNES.

I actually beat the Genesis version a few times while I gave up on the SNES despite having a better roster / graphics / art style / etc. Tournament Fighters NES is just BS though.