The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Have you accepted the show probably won't continue after season 5? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56407)

neatoman 09-09-2016 04:17 PM

Have you accepted the show probably won't continue after season 5?

So the ratings for City at War were lower than the ratings of Eath's Last Stand, since show's been back for four weeks now each successive episode have dropped in the ratings and the last episode was a new low for the series. It's important to note that the ratings had pretty much flatlined at around 1.5 average a pretty long time ago and only now has a steady drop come, it may or may not rise slightly or it might drop further but the point is that the ratings stopped being decent long before City at War.

While some may try to defend the possibility of more seasons by claiming that the show is on iTunes or that toy sales is a bigger source of funding that TV ads, we really don't have the statistics to confirm these are in fact able to keep the show afloat for more seasons. I must also stress that if a sixth season is going to happen it would mostly likely have been confirmed two months ago or more, which it wasn't.

Vicky82 09-09-2016 04:19 PM

Ciro has always planned the series was going to end at season 5, it's got nothing to do with ratings.

CyberCubed 09-09-2016 04:20 PM

You think this thread is a bit premature, neatoman? I don't know why you have an obsession with this show being canceled, since you've been going on about it for at least a year now.

In any case, stop bringing up ratings and itunes sales. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes in addition to merch and revenue that can prolong or end a show. We have no idea how much money Nick is making on TMNT as none of us are insiders.

I still fully expect the show to hit at least 7 seasons and I see no reason to think otherwise. Nick's not going to throw away the only major thing they make money on since with IDW they have to share the profits with the comics.

We all know this good and well.

ToTheNines 09-09-2016 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1621799)
Ciro has always planned the series was going to end at season 5, it's got nothing to do with ratings.

He said he needed at least 5 to really tell the story he wanted to tell. But he's always said it could go on for much longer.

I'm fine with it ending though. It's been a good run. Just hope it doesn't affect IDW... issue 100 is currently projected for like December 2019 :lol:

Andrew NDB 09-09-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1621802)
Just hope it doesn't affect IDW...

IDW was doing just fine before the Nick show came out. I don't see that changing if it's gone.

CyberCubed 09-09-2016 04:28 PM

It would be kind of ironic if the highly successful Nick cartoon turned out to be the shortest lived TMNT cartoon out there, wouldn't it?

2k3 series made 156 episodes and a movie. If the Nick cartoon can't even break 150 episodes then it might as well be a failure.

Vicky82 09-09-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1621802)
He said he needed at least 5 to really tell the story he wanted to tell. But he's always said it could go on for much longer.

I'm fine with it ending though. It's been a good run. Just hope it doesn't affect IDW... issue 100 is currently projected for like December 2019 :lol:

No I doubt it will effect IDW, Nick will probably have a new TMNT show by 2019.

CyberCubed 09-09-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1621805)
No I doubt it will effect IDW, Nick will probably have a new TMNT show by 2019.

That makes even less sense. Nick wouldn't cancel a cartoon just to make another one immediately after.

ToTheNines 09-09-2016 04:32 PM

@Andrew

I don't expect sales to be comprised by anything Nick does with the show. I just meant corporate meddling. I could say them saying "well the Bay movies sucked, and our cartoon is toast... Let's mothball this crap for a few years and bring them back as wizards once Harry Potter is cool again". Or something equally insipid. Or worse.

Vicky82 09-09-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1621806)
That makes even less sense. Nick wouldn't cancel a cartoon just to make another one immediately after.

Err what about Cartoon Network with Teen Titans and then that ended and they had Teen Titans Go later.

Nick could still do it, they could bring in a new crew members in to make a different version. TMNT will stay with Nick for a long time unless Viacom ends up selling TMNT or Nick.

CyberCubed 09-09-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1621809)
Err what about Cartoon Network with Teen Titans and then that ended and they had Teen Titans Go later..

Uh, you do realize there was a huge gap between those shows, right?

Teen Titans ended in 2006. Literally 10 years ago.

victory_angel 09-09-2016 04:39 PM

Ciro's original plan was for the series to last five seasons. And while there isn't any milestone moments such as the mutation days there has been a sense of time passing. Technically the Turtles would be 18 years of age at this point and next season they will be 19. Splinter has told the Turtles they are at a point where they are becoming adults.

If there is a pick up for further seasons that would be great...other wise we enjoy the series while it lasts. Let it have a rest, then if the producers want to have a spin-off series that follows the turtles that went into space, a version if the series following April's point of view as she journals about the Turtles and her relationship with them. Or possibly a continuation that follows the Turtles while they are in their twenties and thirties. There is still a lot of ground they could cover.

Vicky82 09-09-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1621811)
Uh, you do realize there was a huge gap between those shows, right?

Teen Titans ended in 2006. Literally 10 years ago.

Yeah but they still had 2 Teen Titans cartoons.

CyberCubed 09-09-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicky82 (Post 1621816)
Yeah but they still had 2 Teen Titans cartoons.

But there's always new DC cartoons. Same reason there's always new Batman cartoons.

TMNT is owned by Nick, so it would look weird if they cancel their own show just to make another one. If they do that it'd likely be a huge gap of years.

ToTheNines 09-09-2016 04:48 PM

http://karpathy.github.io/assets/rl/pong.gif

Vicky82 09-09-2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1621818)
But there's always new DC cartoons. Same reason there's always new Batman cartoons.

TMNT is owned by Nick, so it would look weird if they cancel their own show just to make another one. If they do that it'd likely be a huge gap of years.

Yeah and they are always on the same damn channel, Cartoon Network. it's the same with Marvel cartoons, they are always on the same channel which is Disney.

I know what you mean that it will be wired to have a new show straight after this one but it won't be straight after. It will more likely be between 5 years to 10 years until there's a new show.

ABrown 09-09-2016 06:03 PM

Wonder if maybe they'll do a big drastic change like the original cartoon did with the red sky era or the 4Kids series did with Fast Forward.

snake 09-09-2016 06:03 PM

Yeah, I'm ready. I'll always have my season 1 and some of the stand out episodes from later seasons. I appriciate the show for what is is, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not disapointed at what it became. I'm not gonna miss it that much, simply because there are better tmnt alternatives out there that I can watch.

Hopefully the next cartoon comes sooner than later.

GoldMutant 09-09-2016 06:26 PM

Dunno if this thread is a pot shot at Cubed or not...

Unless information were provided on the various sources barring the Nielsen ratings and at one point, Max from IGN, it's not surprising if the show is going. However, if Ciro's vision was five seasons, by all means end it at the right time so it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Better to go out on a triumphant note than to either decline into mediocrity or wade into nothing. Honestly, the show is just not as enjoyable to me anymore; I still watch and support TMNT, but if you've seen my reviews, I don't entirely give praise out compared to when I first came here.

Anyways, Viacom has other properties they can play with for money, Spongebob being the big one for Nickelodeon to this day. TMNT probably just doesn't have the strength right now, as most merchandise at stores I see are recent Disney movies like Dory and Frozen, Marvel, Batman, video games, etc. The problem with Nick TMNT merchandise is it's the same promotional photo all over the map, such as the cereal and Danger of the Ooze. Try showing more creativity with your marketing, don't reuse the same images.

Storm Eagle 09-09-2016 07:03 PM

Whenever they feel like ending it, its' cool with me. There are other shows that I can watch. I just hope that they go out with a bang and not a whimper.