The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What made you happy today? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=47823)

IndigoErth 08-09-2019 09:53 AM

Oh yes... :twink: Off the top of my head... Spiderman, Batman, Superman, the two red guys I assume were Ironman and The Flash, Black Panther, Wonder Woman.

They might vary store to store, but most of these guys were also part of my early set last year so I'm assuming they're probably typical for most stores. Though the early shipment is only two of each (at least for me), so just fyi, but more will ship.

edit: Check near the school supplies first. At my store that's where they're supposed to end up in the long run, where the holiday stuff usually is later on, and some stores might allow it to be nearby. Otherwise, like in mine that would not allow it there yet due to lack of space, they may be tucked elsewhere, hopefully somewhere in the vicinity of the Hallmark section.

I'm surprised there was no Captain Marvel, but maybe she'll show up later.

8/10 -- Grateful that the chunky brown orb weavers that have started to create their giant webs are usually pretty good about taking them back down by morning.

Had one big enough to try to catch humans last night right outside the front door over the walkway. lol One far end was attached to the corner of the overhang over the front step, but at least she was, whether she knew it or not, considerate and left an archway us humans could pass under.

Wanted to get a pic, but then found that another spider with a smaller web blocked the alternate route past...

MsMarvelDuckie 08-11-2019 12:31 AM

Lol, yeah, they often put their webs in the most inconvenient places! I wish I still had the pics I took of the one funnel web spider that built her web across my folks' back porch some years back. She built it from the railing and wall down into the metal poles of a firewood storage rack. It was over eight feet across on the long side, and about two feet wide, and four feet tall. It was HUGE!! I counted at least four seperate layers of webbing, overlapping and all almost solid sheets. She had put a LOT of work into that web. It was a thing of beauty, especially in the early morning when it was covered with dew. And then it got torn up during a storm, and she never rebuilt it. I think something happened to her. Sad....

IndigoErth 08-11-2019 01:21 PM

Okay, I admit maybe the saying is true, maybe some things really are bigger in Texas. :teek: :tcool: Was she hoping to catch small mammals in that thing? lol

Speaking of critters... We found a monarch caterpillar in the flowerbed in front of the house. Haven't seen one of those guys in many, many years. Out there snacking on, what else, the butterfly weed. Hopefully it won't get spotted by anything that wants to snack on it.

MsMarvelDuckie 08-11-2019 10:13 PM

Doubtful, lol. Most birds and others learn quickly not to snack on Monarch caterpillers, since the sap they injest from the butterflyweed (aka milkweed) is mildly toxic, making the caterpillers sick-making to predators.

Lol, no, not small mammals, but we DO have some dang big grasshoppers here (locusts- and I don't mean the cicada) that she was catching in spades. Spider was about as big as a half-dollar!

Utrommaniac 08-11-2019 10:33 PM

Oh man, we had a few dead cicadas around my house.

You know summer is ending whennnnn...

MsMarvelDuckie 08-11-2019 10:38 PM

Yup. Spotted my first dead one yesterday. But that just means fall is right around the corner! (Bring on October! I'm ready for Halloween decorating!)

Utrommaniac 08-11-2019 11:15 PM

I'm ready for the heat to die!

MsMarvelDuckie 08-12-2019 03:49 AM

Amen, sista!

Whatswiththeheadbands? 08-12-2019 06:31 AM

My package from Forbidden Planet finally arrived after I pre-ordered it a month ago

IndigoErth 08-12-2019 04:38 PM

I think our cicadas are still only hitting their peak. So many at this point that there wasn't a moment of silence outside this morning when I woke up, just constant cicadas. (Mom found a fresh late one just out of its old shell a couple days ago. I think we still have a while to go here...)

I'm just glad they have a basic call and they're not the Midwestern ones we herd years go in, I believe, Kansas, where their call goes up-down-up-down-up-down several times before they stop.

rrrreeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEEEEeeeeeeee EEEEEEeeeeeeee...

That would be crazy making. :tlol: I guess people learn to tune them out, but still, if you guys have those, you have my sympathy.

Also...
Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1815730)
Spider was about as big as a half-dollar!

...yikes. I think the only types of funnel webs we have around here are just little bitty things in comparison.

ranger_scout 08-12-2019 09:23 PM

When I went back to work today, it made me happy to see that everyone still works as a team as very supportive of each other.

Utrommaniac 08-13-2019 07:38 PM

Got a nice cleanup on my desk going!

Big first step in getting things together again in my room some more.

If I can't find work, I might as well not let my environment become a big disaster and sink the depression around that even further.

UPDATE:

Ok, throw that great day of productivity aside, because when I went to pick up food for my mom at McDonalds, the guy two spots ahead of me at the drive through paid for me AND the guy in front of us! So big score on the free meal. Thanks, mysterious person with a lot of money to throw at McDonalds!

IndigoErth 08-14-2019 10:31 AM

Finally ran across TMNT "The Works" volume 4 for a better price and grabbed it. :D Now to keep fingers crossed that their "very good" description is accurate, or underselling it.

Kept an eye on eBay, etc for it for a while, and can't even begin to guess why this particular volume is so hard to find good price on. :tconfuse: I lucked out so well on volume 3.

edit: And then I now realize the same seller (eBay) has it also listed for roughly the same price on Amazon, where I still have part of a gift card. Dammit. lol Ah well, moved too quick on eBay afraid I'd lose the chance. Still another volume to grab later.

8/17 -- Unhappy that you can't really find sweet & sour sauce at the store that's actually like the one from Chinese restaurants (only those that are more like fast food chicken nugget dip) I found a decent recipe and learned out to make it. Super easy to make and came out pretty good, if I do say so my myself. :)

8/18 -- Got some really nice photos of a huge thunderhead forming overhead. Wish I could have seen it from a distance, but was really pretty and interesting watching it from the northern edge and visibly sucking some of the regular small clouds into it and merging with other forming thunderheads.

Didn't even seem to be moving -- as confirmed by a storm warning later that said it was pretty much stationary -- just building up and spreading. Even got a patch of the mammatus clouds overhead and westward. Usually those are supposedly associated with strong storms... And when it finally started moving, to the northeast... *thzzt* ...fizzled right out. Big building thunderhead that had been quietly thundering and growing more ominous for a while ended up being all preshow and a short, light shower. LOL

Utrommaniac 08-20-2019 08:23 PM

I'm starting a new job tomorrow!

Working with a t-shirt printing couple that have kids at my mom's preschool

IndigoErth 08-21-2019 01:59 PM

Added discount (plus a sale) on an tagless iron spider Halloween decoration that is missing most of one middle leg and took pity on it and brought it home.

The changeovers from the summer line to Halloween (and in one case also Thanksgiving) at my stores are done, for now.

Ghost Hunters returns tonight on A&E! (But so confused why Grant is bringing that back while Jason, Steve, and Tango are doing a new show [Ghost Nation this fall] on the Travel Channel. I hope that'll get answered... But it's awesome that Grant is actually getting back in it after having decided to retire from it some years ago.)

Utrommaniac 08-21-2019 03:35 PM

Had a good first day at the job! Ended up running out of things to do for the day.

Vegita-San 08-21-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1816526)
Ghost Hunters returns tonight on A&E! (But so confused why Grant is bringing that back while Jason, Steve, and Tango are doing a new show [Ghost Nation this fall] on the Travel Channel. I hope that'll get answered... But it's awesome that Grant is actually getting back in it after having decided to retire from it some years ago.)

I asssume he didn't like how sci fi produced and handled things, especially after the infamous halloween episode, and they started to have a falling out.

that's my theory at any rate. makes no sense why they would be doing two different shows and one is called GH. Hawes claimed to have 'hated that name'

IndigoErth 08-21-2019 04:55 PM

Who knows, definitely curious though.

I remember Grant partly just seemed burned out anyhow and didn't want to miss the rest of his kid's childhood and had other interests he supposedly wanted to put time into, including starting a board game company, but it would be sad if his and Jason's friendship grew apart, though I guess it happens sometimes.

Which Halloween ep are you referring to?

8/25 -- Those times in MMO games in a lengthy, hard fight that pretty much has you in over your head, against something quite a bit stronger than you've ever gone up against, and you pull off a win by the skin of your teeth with just barely any health left.

Was just looking for a final object to complete a long running quest and stumbled across a "secret" hidden boss in the final dungeon of an area. Higher health than the actual final boss of that whole zone, who wasn't exactly easy with a friend, and this other one I did solo. I had 8 health left when it foolishly health itself (dammit) instead of killing me. :D :P

No good loot :( but did at least earn an unexpected badge.

The Deadman 08-28-2019 11:05 AM

If it weren't illegal to own an otter as a pet, I'd totally get one for this alone

https://twitter.com/DannyDeraney/sta...81921632317442

IndigoErth 08-30-2019 01:46 PM

Little bit of a sad day really, since it's two years already that I lost my beloved Oranda, but it gave me good reason to get out to where she and her little buddy and some others are buried and get it cleaned up. Since certain people kind of ruined any enjoyability to what was once our back yard, I don't get out there much, so I was glad that the "fish cemetery" wasn't in need of too much upkeep really. Also glad that Walmart still has a handful of the little solar lights so I was able to replace the old one that stopped working a while back.

Was going to say hi to the little guys in the small fish department back behind all the pet aisles, as I'm sure they don't get a whole lot of attention back there, but bitter sweet to see they're no longer there. Not the best situation for them anyhow being sold by Walmart.

edit: And got this awesome banana [edit: definitely a bandana] in the mail. :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/mYYAA...j3X/s-l300.jpg