The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   So what is the Foot Clan symbol in IDW TMNT? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=41388)

Andrew NDB 02-18-2013 05:25 PM

So what is the Foot Clan symbol in IDW TMNT?

Is it a giant Foot or is it the 4Kids cartoon Foot symbol? Because I've seen both used in IDW TMNT and I feel like one should probably be decided on.

I have no strong feelings either way, but the giant Foot symbol has always looked goofy to me. Actually, they both kinda look goofy to me, though I guess the 4Kids one is the lesser of two evils.

Can't it just, like, be the Kanji symbol for Foot?

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 02-18-2013 05:35 PM

I think they are using both the Fred Wolfish human foot symbol and 2003 series symbol because this series is supposed to be a meshing of everything, and to choose one over the other would be too lean more towards one cartoon influence.

Matches Malone 02-18-2013 07:26 PM

I thought they used the giant Foot for the Feudal Japan era, and the 4Kids symbol for the modern era. Or am I remembering something wrong?

thelouisguy 02-18-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1061111)
Can't it just, like, be the Kanji symbol for Foot?

I like it.

Matches Malone 02-18-2013 07:34 PM

I'm always down with kanji. I love how much Santoloucco has incorporated that and other Japanese influences into SHotF, and hopefully that continues with the ongoing.

ToTheNines 02-18-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matches Malone (Post 1061158)
I thought they used the giant Foot for the Feudal Japan era, and the 4Kids symbol for the modern era. Or am I remembering something wrong?

That's correct. Although we've only seen the 4kids used in Sins of the Father. Secret of the Foot has used it, but not in the actual story pages.

Cipher 02-18-2013 09:16 PM

Just read "Sins of the Father" today and was actually wondering the same thing.

I actually prefer the Fred-Wolf literal Foot picture in this case, since at least it has an (actually pretty cool) explanation.

And feudal Japanese clans didn't just use kanji as their markers.

Coola Yagami 02-18-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher (Post 1061221)
Just read "Sins of the Father" today and was actually wondering the same thing.

I actually prefer the Fred-Wolf literal Foot picture in this case, since at least it has an (actually pretty cool) explanation.

And feudal Japanese clans didn't just use kanji as their markers.

Um... the Mirage comics used the literal foot symbol as well, which is where the cartoon got it from. They just didn't have the Foot actually wear it on their forehead...

DrSpengler 02-19-2013 08:12 AM

I'd be down with both so long as IDW designated particular signifigance to each version.

Like the original Mirage "footprint" symbol represented the Foot Clan overall (since the symbol was created by Foot Clan founder Tatsuo Takeshi), while the 4Kids style "claw" could represent something unique within the Clan like say the Oroku lineage or something.

DrSpengler 02-19-2013 08:27 AM

In retrospect, has the Mirage "footprint" style symbol been used anywhere outside of the Feudal era Japan flashbacks? It's seen prominently there, but I can't recall off the top of my head if it has been used in the contemporary setting.

Likewise, the 4Kids "claw" style symbol appeared in Shredder's HQ in the modern day, so maybe the "claw" is just a current evolution of the "footprint"?

Candy Kappa 02-19-2013 10:05 AM

Personal taste, I prefer the Mirage/Fred Wolf symbol.

DrSpengler 02-19-2013 09:20 PM

So I figured why not just ask Bobby about it?

His answers:

Quote:

I'm trying to remember where we've seen the Foot print Foot symbol outside of the bloody imprint that Tatsuo leaves in the first flashback of Foot Clan #1. I don't think we saw it during Dan Duncan's run...

Remind me where else it's been?

We saw the 2k3 style during Andy's run, I know, and we'll see it again in a flashback in Foot Clan #4. So perhaps it is what Saki has used since establishing control over the Foot Clan (spoilers!!)

If you've got another instance of the Fred Wolf style being used, than that could debunk what I just said. Honestly, it's not something I personally have put any thought into until recently, so there may be an aberration I'm not remembering right now.
Quote:

Yeah, let's say the new symbol is Saki control-centric. Phew, that works out well... by pure chance!

I'll keep an eye on it moving forward.
So Mirage-style "footprint" symbol is the original overall Foot Clan symbol created by Tatsuo Takeshi when he founded the Clan.

The 4Kids-style "claw" symbol is unique to Oroku Saki and refers to his control of the Clan.

That actually does work out well within the context of the series, even if it was an accident.

Cipher 02-19-2013 09:23 PM

No-prizey, but it works for me.

Andrew NDB 02-20-2013 02:43 AM

Yeah, that works.

Lampy 02-20-2013 04:30 AM

i've always thought that this was a conscious decision ever since seeing the foot-print symbol in #5 and confirmed in Andy Khun's run. it always made sense to make the original Mirage/OT symbol the "original" feudal japan era symbol in the IDWniverse and adopting the newer sleeker "claw" as the modern symbol. it always made sense to me... and apparently it was a fluke.

funatic 02-20-2013 11:26 AM

Man, I love how the fandom can subtly influence these comics. Andrew proposes a decent question... Spengler asks the editor... and now it's on their radar to make sure they stick to this footprint:feudal::claw:modern continuity that WE helped define. :tgrin:

tengushredder 02-20-2013 12:38 PM

the 4 kids simbol is the best,more evil

Raptor86 09-17-2017 10:34 AM

I think that now this explanation works even more, since we know that Saki was destined to be the "new" dragon warrior...

Sophie Campbell 09-17-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSpengler (Post 1061716)
So Mirage-style "footprint" symbol is the original overall Foot Clan symbol created by Tatsuo Takeshi when he founded the Clan.

The 4Kids-style "claw" symbol is unique to Oroku Saki and refers to his control of the Clan.

That actually does work out well within the context of the series, even if it was an accident.

I accidentally just ruined this by drawing a 4Kids claw symbol in Tatsuo Takeshi's cave in Karai's Path which has nothing to do with Saki. D: I'm sorry!!!

neatoman 09-17-2017 11:51 AM

I always thought the distinction was that the human foot print was for the foot clan in the past and the claw was for the modern era reconstruction.