The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Teenage mutant HERO turtles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58067)

brunobliss 06-09-2017 04:12 PM

Teenage mutant HERO turtles

Hey guys, recently found this guy

The odd thing is, instead of NINJA the card says HERO. this is definitely a vintage piece, but i can't seem to find any info on these cards, can anyone shed some light?

https://i.imgur.com/YRMZA8Hh.jpg

also notice the bottom part of the card has a yellow sticker running across
https://i.imgur.com/vrmq33oh.jpg

cheers!
Bruno

IndigoErth 06-09-2017 04:19 PM

"Ninja" wasn't allowed in the UK back in the day, therefor they were "Hero" instead. :) Nice find!

brunobliss 06-09-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1688941)
"Ninja" wasn't allowed in the UK back in the day, therefor they were "Hero" instead. :) Nice find!

thank you!

Hmm interesting! I actually found these in Portugal, i assume these are rarer than the usual since i couldn't not find a price reference on ebay, any clue on the value of these ?

Powder 06-09-2017 06:10 PM

Worth about the same as a US release.

Candy Kappa 06-09-2017 06:56 PM

Not all that rare. Most European countries that didn't translate the cardbacks got the Hero cards

cinzel 06-10-2017 04:47 AM

nice find and with the price tag of 2000$00 I'm noticing it wasn't cheap at the time, that would be 10€ nowadays

brunobliss 06-10-2017 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinzel (Post 1689056)
nice find and with the price tag of 2000$00 I'm noticing it wasn't cheap at the time, that would be 10€ nowadays

2000$ (portuguese currency before euro) would be nearly 10€ today

Turnstone 06-10-2017 05:22 AM

For me, the "hero" branded toys aren't ic interest. I don't buy bootlegs or imports, despite their rarity, as I only want authentic US backed releases. Maybe that's just me though.

Powder 06-10-2017 07:34 PM

It's not just you. They're not really worth much because collectors who buy MOC figures largely do so because each character has their own card art, whereas these don't.

TMNT-Leonardo 06-23-2017 01:51 PM

Why is there a Bandai logo on the right corner?

Candy Kappa 06-23-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMNT-Leonardo (Post 1693107)
Why is there a Bandai logo on the right corner?

They where the distributor, there's other companies as well that distributed TMNT figures outside of US

discordiatookie 06-23-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1689173)
It's not just you. They're not really worth much because collectors who buy MOC figures largely do so because each character has their own card art, whereas these don't.

Agree with you here. I've got some Ninja and some Hero MOC and much prefer the Ninja ones due to the individual character art, as opposed to the more generic Hero ones. Bit annoying, as it was the Hero ones I had as a kid and grew up with.

go_ninja84 06-23-2017 05:14 PM

isnt this part of the reason they took away Michelangelo's nunchucks and replaced with a grappling hook to air the cartoon in European countries? they deemed nunchucks too violent?

wow prudence back in the day.

Candy Kappa 06-23-2017 05:35 PM

Nunchaku was illegal in several countries in Europe, still are.

Utrommaniac 06-23-2017 05:50 PM

So...is anyone else bothered by the huge round buck teeth in the little icon at the bottom back of the package??? It just looks wrong...

go_ninja84 06-23-2017 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1693147)
Nunchaku was illegal in several countries in Europe, still are.

Ohh I didn't know they were illegal thought they just seemed violent
How were they allowed to show him with them on back package?

Danetello 06-23-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnstone (Post 1689060)
I don't buy bootlegs or imports, despite their rarity, as I only want authentic US backed releases. Maybe that's just me though.

What is unauthentic about this? It's still a Playmates toy, and to the European market it was all they had. It's all they knew. Maybe they feel the same about toys that say "Ninja" on them. It's a matter of perspective, and not to be snubbed.

Powder 06-23-2017 10:20 PM

Think he's just saying his only interest is in official America-only runs.

TMNTChris1980 06-23-2017 10:59 PM

I have a Casey Jones from Japan. He's a TMNT, not TMHT.

Meow 06-23-2017 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_ninja84 (Post 1693143)
isnt this part of the reason they took away Michelangelo's nunchucks and replaced with a grappling hook to air the cartoon in European countries? they deemed nunchucks too violent?

Not that I know of. Nunchucks were regularely included for all Mikey Playmates figures, starting with the first 80ies Mikey.
Edit: In the first Turtles movie many scenes did not make it into the EU/UK release, especially ones with nunchucks.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danetello (Post 1693162)
What is unauthentic about this?

Haha :D The statement about non-us releases not being authentic got me too, shook it off quickly though as I got to understand what "they" mean. If card art is individual for each figure in the non-HERO releases alone, I can actually relate why some people prefer to use the word authentic which is definately a better option than "genuine" ^^

And yes, HERO entitled cards were released in the EU market (UK included) while figures and vehicles under that title featured different languages depending on their region. There were also multi-language cards, eg english, german and french. Or the character portrait areas covered with a white sticker from the distributor with the portrait text translated (total no-go by the way!).

Bandai is/was one of the biggest toy companies in the european region way before Playmates was known. When I got to know Playmates through Turtles figures the first time you had Bandai branded toys almost everyhwere for a long while already.