The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Power Rangers - the appreciation and discussion thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=11959)

ZariusTwo 08-21-2007 11:00 PM

Really, in contrast to the importance of Adam returning, Emma does'nt do much at all in the story, nor did she do s*it in the SPD team-ups either.

Anarky 09-02-2007 03:13 PM

So I'm rewatching Ninja Storm these days. First, it was just to drool over Sally Martin, which is a good thing per se. But now I'm ten episodes in and I have to say, they just don't make 'em anymore as they used to.

I mean, Ninja Storm has a great story, great characters, fun dialogs and great action. And the Zords were great too.

So if you look at a threeparter like "Thunder Strangers" and then compare it to an allegedly epic story like "Once a Ranger," well, the latter loses by lengths. Did the change of management really hurt it that much or did they think "Meh, too complicated for audience, let's simplify things."

ZariusTwo 09-02-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarky (Post 553669)
So I'm rewatching Ninja Storm these days. First, it was just to drool over Sally Martin, which is a good thing per se. But now I'm ten episodes in and I have to say, they just don't make 'em anymore as they used to.

I mean, Ninja Storm has a great story, great characters, fun dialogs and great action. And the Zords were great too.

So if you look at a threeparter like "Thunder Strangers" and then compare it to an allegedly epic story like "Once a Ranger," well, the latter loses by lengths. Did the change of management really hurt it that much or did they think "Meh, too complicated for audience, let's simplify things."

The best signs that Bruce gave at least one damn about the series was his work on SPD, it may have had no size nor sense, but it featured virtually every last "first" PR had left to use. Renegade Rangers, female Red Rangers, you name it, it was there. Not to mention the production was handled by Greg Aronowitz, who sadly left after only one season. His influence is largely missed, as MF and OO have proven he was the guy who kept the now notorious "Kalishsplosions" from overshadowing the story and being ridiculously overused.

Doug Sloan, the producer and head writer of Ninja Storm and Dinothunder, was one of the best PR writers and had served with the series when it was MMPR. He left the series during Turbo, and returned for those two Disney seasons. PR's longest serving writer, Jackie Marchand, wrote "Once a Ranger", but even countless promotions and more freedom seem to motivate consistency from her now

DrSpengler 09-02-2007 08:50 PM

Nothing too special, but I wrote a review of the first Power Rangers movie recently.

I can't believe IMDB had it ranked as one of the worst movies of all time. It's no sillier than Krull and everybody seems to have a boner for that flick.

ZariusTwo 09-02-2007 09:46 PM

Review "Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie" sometime

It may contain some of what caused the series to jump the shark (like Justin), and for an in-canon film, where as the first is not, doesnt really focus on the loss of the previous powers, its very well written and developed, and represents a PR movie that doesnt depend much on them being in suits or alternate outfits at all, but on who they are as characters. It also contains an incredibly strong scene where Jason and Kimberly are "sacrificed" to the demon Maligore and become enslaved to his powers, becoming "demonized".

The climatic final battle is probably the last time a Toho-style rubber suit fight will ever be seen in American cinema beyond Godzilla films.

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie is infinitly superior to MMPR. Sure its budget is far lesser than the first film, but MMPR only captured the basics of PR. Turbo captured PR's soul

DrSpengler 09-02-2007 09:54 PM

Turbo is definately on my "to review" list, particularly since I've never seen it. The fact that it's canon and the events had actual effects on the TV series continuity intrigues me even more. Justin, though, scares me away.

It's available in parts at a certain tube that shall remain nameless, so I have nothing to lose by checking it out. And I think that I will.

ZariusTwo 09-03-2007 04:27 PM

Finally uncovered, the original pilot reel of VR Troopers.

This reel contains numerous differences, such as it being called "Cybertron", Karl Ziktor now known as "Ricktor", the use of what would become the famous "Go Green Ranger Go" song, but perhaps the biggest difference is that there only one Trooper (considering VR Troopers was based on two seperate Japanese "Metalder" series called "Speilban" and "Star Sheriff"), and that "Adam Steele" is played by Jason David Frank, aka the greatest Ranger of all time...

Anarky 09-03-2007 05:18 PM

Hahahaha! This was nuts! I mean JDF is a great Ranger, but he is not a VR Trooper. If I hadn't read about this earlier I'd call it a fake.

Kendamu 09-03-2007 09:44 PM

When was that made? Was that before JDF became a Ranger?

ZariusTwo 09-03-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goongasnootch (Post 553968)
When was that made? Was that before JDF became a Ranger?

Nope, it was made after JDF left the series the first time

ZariusTwo 09-04-2007 12:59 AM

MAJOR OO spoiler

...I have never PR this dark since SPD's "Reflections" and prior to that, Dinothunder. The episode, which can be viewed on Jetix.tv is a masterpeice of acting and dialouge.

The Terror of Death 09-04-2007 08:40 AM

There goes my terrible theory of Mack being a demigod. I have to check this episode out when I get the time.

Anarky 09-04-2007 10:47 AM

Whoa, which episode is that? The latest one?

ZariusTwo 09-04-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Terror of Death (Post 554071)
There goes my terrible theory of Mack being a demigod. I have to check this episode out when I get the time.

Better than the "Princess Astrid" theory of his being the fifth jewel.

Dr. Doom 09-04-2007 03:55 PM

That's kinda messed up.

ZariusTwo 09-08-2007 11:52 PM

More from the elusive "Cybertron" pilot reel

Jester 09-09-2007 10:50 PM

Sorry to get off track, but who else is excited about the 15th anniversary red ranger action figures. I am so going to have to find at least the MMPR red ranger (Jason...it will always be Jason...sorry Rocky.) If only they'd release a "Tommy Oliver" set...with all his freakin' ranger incarnations.

Dr. Doom 09-10-2007 02:27 PM

...hail grimlord... :\

Brodie 09-11-2007 09:48 PM

Just snagged all 3 sets of the 15th Anniversary figures....theyre neat, but im giving the ****** suits (Lost Galaxy etc) to my RA staff.

Dr. Doom 09-12-2007 03:18 PM

The Charlie Brown Rangers!