The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   TMNT 2017 Action Figures (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56884)

Rukitron 12-28-2016 02:30 PM

I think I need the target dpci number to track down the micro sets. If someone can share, that be grand.

Rukitron 12-29-2016 10:44 PM

I was able to find Mikey and Leo pet turtle sets, Donnie's and Raph's sets are in a second wave assortment.

Oddly mine are different from DVD's

Mine:
- Came with "training dummies", unarticulated figurines of Shredder (With the Leo pet) and Cockroach Terminator (with the Mikey pet)
- the weapons were molded same color as the turtle's skin.
- the city bg on my Mikey set is red

Stumbled on this site with pics of the proto-types:
http://www.maki.dk/product/teenage-m...yset-asst.aspx
RIP extra stuff we couldn't get due to budget constraints.

BYWInsaniac 01-05-2017 02:03 PM

Scaling back?

Has anybody noticed a significant scaling back at local toy stores?

I just hit the Target and Toys R Us in Burbank, CA, and both have dramatically reduced the shelf space devoted to TMNT. Target probably had 8 pegs devoted to the basic assortment, now they're down to one. TRU probably had 12, but now they're down to 2.

Throughout the whole holiday season, Target's TMNT pegs were nearly empty. I've only seen the Super Shredder line once, at a Target in Culver City (about 25 miles away).

Has anybody else noticed their stores scaling back like this? It kinda makes me nervous that the line is going to die, especially since nothing past Super Shreddder has been officially announced, right?

I hope those Out of the Shadows figures didn't kill the whole line... Those things were strangling the shelves in LA for months...

-JJ

tmntman 01-05-2017 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYWInsaniac (Post 1651249)
Has anybody noticed a significant scaling back at local toy stores?

I just hit the Target and Toys R Us in Burbank, CA, and both have dramatically reduced the shelf space devoted to TMNT. Target probably had 8 pegs devoted to the basic assortment, now they're down to one. TRU probably had 12, but now they're down to 2.

I wouldn't be too worried about it until they actually finish the resets. At this point most stores are probably adding and removing shelf space and pegs based on what inventory they have left. And if they don't have any TMNT figures left, it is generally a good thing. It means that they sold through of all of their inventory. And that is a good sign. It's when you see lines with lots of inventory left over that will have to go to clearance that you should be worried.

TMNTFanatic4Life 01-05-2017 09:29 PM

I noticed that, somewhat here in the Milwaukee area. I mean, the new figures keep on coming, but I noticed less and less space dedicated to the TMNT toys line. I remember early last year when there would be 2 big sections of TMNT toys in the same area of most stores, now a days it's a quarter of small section. But it's more than likely what TMNTMan posted as to why there are smaller pockets of the toys in the stores, these days or at least, the stores I go to.

BYWInsaniac 01-06-2017 04:41 AM

Re:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmntman (Post 1651330)
It's when you see lines with lots of inventory left over that will have to go to clearance that you should be worried.

Yeah, I was just getting a little worried because those movie figures just choked the pegs at TRU; it looked like they hadn't moved any of that for months. I don't know what happened to all of it, but suddenly TMNT has a fraction of the shelf space.

And at Target, the shelf was just empty for weeks, as if they hadn't reordered any of the basic figures. It was frustrating cause I want a freekin Super Shredder to go with the Leo and Don I found!

Hopefully the line picks up again and they have some great figures planned for 2017!

-JJ

DonnieLaForge 01-06-2017 06:29 AM

I did a lot of hunting over the past 2 months and revisited a few key stores including TRU at several key points over the holiday season. I was worried about how many OOTS figures were out there...and how few new figures. TRU in particular had jam packed an entire aisle full of TMNT merch right around the end of November including like 5 or more columns of loaded pegs for basics (plus an endcap for basics) plus tons of the retros that hadn't been moving at all all year at that location. What I observed over time is consisten with a sudden burst of sales for Christmas. Store after store shocked me over the week after Christmas as to how much was gone immediately after shopping season concluded. At that same TRU only a single figure was left hanging on less than half the pegs and there was only one of each retro left out. At the Walmart I frequent most it was the same story...stuff that hadn't moved in months suddenly gone...empty pegs hanging there. I never saw any signs that they had been removed in any way other than sales. That Walmart did eventually convert more than half its empty basics space into POP! Storage and condense the leftovers to a single still-bare column but it took a good week or more for them to do it. I saw this general pattern everywhere I went and I went a LOT of places multiple times (kept hoping to find good clearance or leaking 2017 merch!)... I concluded that TMNT figure sales must have been epic this holiday season. I can't say the same for any other section of the toy aisles I frequent except LEGO which also saw much holiday devastation. I'm no longer much worried about turtle sales in 2016...

Now...what I didn't see moving very well was Mega Bloks...which would be unfortunate and really a tragedy. Too bad LEGO has apparently negotiated to keep the clones out of its aisles most everywhere I go. Mega has really finally hit the point where I doubt most laymen could tell a difference now and they are so much cheaper too...you'da thunk they could have been a huge holiday hit too.

Rukitron 01-07-2017 09:55 AM

I finally got a hold of one of the new Turtle in a Turtle sets. I got Raph (will grab Leo next week hopefully).

His stuff can be neatly put away quickly. One thing though, the Sais are so tiny, one almost fell into the cracks of the right jail cell on his back...

I like it though, some elements were borrowed from the big Leo we got a few years back, but that's fine. The pet turtles have a little more scenery to work with though.

Prototype 01-09-2017 04:41 AM

1. Kids prefer cartoon figures.
2. Stores stock up with movie figures.
3. Movie figures don't sell as good as expected.
4. Stores don't want to stock up with products that don't sell good.

Stores in general (if not all) don't know or care about the fact that there are two main lines of figures, it's all "TMNT" to them.

I think it's that simple.

People in denial please start to argue that:

1. the movie figures are super popular
or
2. stores do differentiate between the cartoon and movie figures regarding sales

Huzzah 01-09-2017 07:55 AM

That and the mediocrity of the line is hurting the sales. Variants after Variants, no new characters, even kids have a breaking point. That and many of the kids who stared this line are several years older and no longer buying the line.

It's obvious that this line is in its waning days. Blame it on the market or blame it on Playmates (which I often do), but with the cartoon ending s will the line taper down until it's gone. Though I can't see the shelves being empty too long, it'll wait for some type of reboot or new movie/cartoon. Though I can almost certainly guarantee you that most people will not get their most wanted characters if they haven't so far, at best you'll see three or four new characters, umpteen Turtle Variants, and then it'll end, and those few new characters will be virtually impossible to find, I've yet to see Human Karai in any stores in my area, and I'm still doubting tha Muckman will ever be released.

Powder 01-09-2017 12:37 PM

As long as we get Muckman before the line's dead & buried, it is what it is.

CyberCubed 01-09-2017 12:48 PM

How many of the new Season 4 characters got toys? I know Armaggon, Lord Dregg, Triceratons, Super Shredder, and a few other did.

Did they ever make Wyrm, Mona Lisa, Shinigami, Wingnut/Screwloose, Scumbug, etc?

Powder 01-09-2017 12:58 PM

Space variants of the main characters aside, you're only forgetting Fugitoid. Virtually none of the season 4's creature characters got toys, which is super weird considering it seems like most were there for the sake of selling some.

Rukitron 01-09-2017 01:13 PM

The current wave of basics are pretty dull atm. What was up with the OT squirters?

snake 01-09-2017 01:32 PM

Toy Fair 2017 is gonna be big.

Playmates said so.

They won't let us down, right? :lol:

Ninjinister 01-09-2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1652004)
Space variants of the main characters aside, you're only forgetting Fugitoid. Virtually none of the season 4's creature characters got toys, which is super weird considering it seems like most were there for the sake of selling some.

Is that not how Playmates has rolled in the past? Remember no Red Sky figures, no Lost Season or Back to the Sewer + half of Fast Forward...

snake 01-09-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1652022)
Is that not how Playmates has rolled in the past? Remember no Red Sky figures, no Lost Season or Back to the Sewer + half of Fast Forward...

And I was actually thinking it wouldn't come to that with the nick show. They led us on pretty well for 4 seasons. I guess it's the fate of every playmates TMNT line to regress into endless turtle variants.

DVD 01-09-2017 02:12 PM

Season 4 came in the tail of the Movie's comet.
The movie took priority during 2016, and it looked like everything was put on hold in order to meet time lines for that product.
I can see a number of planned S4 figures being released this year .

Rukitron 01-09-2017 03:30 PM

087-06-6519 is for the Micro Mutants Train and Battle Play Set.
Wave 1 case is all Raph

Hope Leo isn't too far behind.

darthwahl56 01-10-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1652000)
How many of the new Season 4 characters got toys? I know Armaggon, Lord Dregg, Triceratons, Super Shredder, and a few other did.

Did they ever make Wyrm, Mona Lisa, Shinigami, Wingnut/Screwloose, Scumbug, etc?

Mozar got released, not Triceratons. Seriously how hard would it be to release a Triceraton soldier, of course I could say that about any other in this toy line. Just release all the concept figures featured at the toyfairs in the last few years that weren't turtle variations and that will fill up the 2017 basic figure line, along with any other main alien named by Mikey on the show.

darthwahl56 01-10-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninjinister (Post 1652022)

Red sky toys weren't made in the 90's because the show was on the outs anyway what with cartoons being darker and edgier. The person in charge wanted the show to be less cartoon comedy and more like Batman and x-men of the 90's. Toys were not planned for this event.

During the course of the Fast Forward and Back to the Sewer there were virtual figures planned using the animated movie toys to repaint for the show. I don't believe they were released, but they were featured in Toyfare magazine.

I hope that we get a mostly complete ending of figures for this toyline. I know that final series for toylines generally are either scraped or hard to find, so let it end in peace.

SS Kakarot 01-15-2017 05:34 AM

Looks like a second series of the WWE figures is coming out this year.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2NjTg1XAAAQxuv.jpg:small

oldmanwinters 01-15-2017 06:43 AM

Haha, Rowdy Piper and the Ultimate Warrior? That's pretty old school!

zaktheneutrino 01-15-2017 09:04 PM

Donnie as Ultimate Warrior is awesome!

snake 01-15-2017 09:26 PM

We get more of this garbage instead of basics? Jesus, Playmates.

DestronMirage22 01-15-2017 11:02 PM

I'm surprised sales were good enough on those pieces of crap to warrant a second set.

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 01-16-2017 06:03 AM

Any reply stating how I feel about that would probably be deleted.

tmntman 01-16-2017 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1653125)
We get more of this garbage instead of basics? Jesus, Playmates.

The first series of Classics figures did not replace the basics line.

Rocksteady and Bebop did not replace the basic line.

The 1990 Movie series did not replace the basics line.

The SOTO series did not replace the basics line.

The first series of WWE figures did not replace the basic line.

So why in the #@&%* would anyone think that these are in any way, shape or form a replacement for the basic line?

If you don't like 'em, fine. Don't buy them. But clearly there were people who were fans of both properties and bought enough of them to make it worth producing another series. Why do you feel the need to dump on what they like?

Huzzah 01-16-2017 09:04 AM

I don't think a anyone is implying that these are replacing the Basics line, but more that Playmates as a focusing on these niche line nes instead of getting some much needed diversity in the Basic line, instead of yet another set of Variants.

Raptor86 01-16-2017 09:05 AM

Seeing these, I assume the Classic Shredder and Krang are dead and gone...

VaughnMichael 01-16-2017 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huzzah (Post 1653182)
I don't think a anyone is implying that these are replacing the Basics line, but more that Playmates as a focusing on these niche line nes instead of getting some much needed diversity in the Basic line, instead of yet another set of Variants.

My thoughts exactly.

DonnieLaForge 01-16-2017 09:17 AM

Hmm, was not expecting more WWE. Bought the first wave thinking it was novel. Now looks like it will be monotonous. Also, interesting how easy it seems to be to pump out new sculpts here and there on this scale (and lots more paint detailing)...but such a huge issue to do so in smaller scale. Have they thought about raising price of basics? I think we could let them get away with 10.99-11.99 couldn't we?

My Walmart has completely reset its action figure aisle. Basics were moved from the front of the aisle clear to the back, and given two columns of pegs with the larger deluxe boxed figures below. Across from them the deluxe OOTS figures hang in 2 columns of pegs and next to that were a column of empty pegs for the micro mutants playsets (baby turtles), and a column of 4 empty pegs for the micro vehicles. That seems like a lot of shelf space for micros and a saddening reduction for basics.

go_ninja84 01-16-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

i agree with this statement. i mean what was the last figure to be released for the basic line. all we get now is turtle variant crap

tmntman 01-16-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

But the two issues are unrelated. It's not like Playmates lacks the production capacity to create new basic figures and the WWE figures. So acting as if the WWE figures are going to be produced at the cost of new basic figures is utterly stupid and to the extent to which anyone actually believes it, deceptive.

If there is any reason why the basic line has been hampered in the last year, it's probably the movie tie in and the fact that it didn't seem to sell well. Those figures actually did compete directly with the Nick basic figures for shelf space. And in spite of that, they still put out 26 new basic figures last year including 9 non-Turtle variations.

go_ninja84 01-16-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmntman (Post 1653200)
But the two issues are unrelated. It's not like Playmates lacks the production capacity to create new basic figures and the WWE figures. So acting as if the WWE figures are going to be produced at the cost of new basic figures is utterly stupid and to the extent to which anyone actually believes it, deceptive.

If there is any reason why the basic line has been hampered in the last year, it's probably the movie tie in and the fact that it didn't seem to sell well. Those figures actually did compete directly with the Nick basic figures for shelf space. And in spite of that, they still put out 26 new basic figures last year including 9 non-Turtle variations.

i think it goes deeper then that. how long did it take to get human Karai out while we were bombarded with variants (new deco figures for example) and we are still waiting on Muckman which is a staple in the basic line now these figures.

clearly Playmates chooses to make these over basic figures. even with the movie line there were variants before we even got April

this is all my opinion and im entitled to it

snake 01-16-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmntman (Post 1653177)
The first series of Classics figures did not replace the basics line.

Rocksteady and Bebop did not replace the basic line.

The 1990 Movie series did not replace the basics line.

The SOTO series did not replace the basics line.

The first series of WWE figures did not replace the basic line.

So why in the #@&%* would anyone think that these are in any way, shape or form a replacement for the basic line?

If you don't like 'em, fine. Don't buy them. But clearly there were people who were fans of both properties and bought enough of them to make it worth producing another series. Why do you feel the need to dump on what they like?

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^

EddieNES 01-16-2017 11:14 AM

If we get 26 new figures this year with only 9 new characters, I'm ready for this line to stop.

Autbot_Benz 01-16-2017 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor86 (Post 1653183)
Seeing these, I assume the Classic Shredder and Krang are dead and gone...

those were cancelled like 2 years ago

Jester 01-16-2017 04:54 PM

Am I late to the party on Playmates bringing back the micro-mutants?

Rukitron 01-16-2017 05:06 PM

Nope. I'm wanting the rest of the play sets, but they're not out yet.