The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Collection Photos (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   turtlemyke's Hostess TMNT Pies Collection (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=55505)

turtlemyke 06-09-2016 10:07 AM

turtlemyke's Hostess TMNT Pies Collection

Welp, this is kind of random, but I became fixated on the Hostess Ninja Turtle Vanilla Puddin' Pies a few years ago and never looked back. Only missing a couple extremely rare mail away items -- a Turtle Pies t-shirt and a turtle shell belt buckle (which I've never even seen a pic of). Oh, and some moldy, unopened pies of course.

http://i.imgur.com/Xz4ttM9.png

oldmanwinters 06-09-2016 11:54 AM

So long as the internet remains retro-obsessed with these delightful little goo-cakes, there will always be a market for TMNT Puddin' Pie memorabilia. Thanks for sharing!

Jester 06-09-2016 11:59 AM

MrPliggins 06-09-2016 03:47 PM

Interesting collecting focus! I didn't know most of that existed. Thanks for sharing.

Powder 06-09-2016 04:03 PM

Props for your dedication, cool to see all of that stuff together. Would love a better shot or scan of the center display piece!

turtlemyke 06-09-2016 04:25 PM

It's pretty big (19x24 i think) so I can't scan it, but here's a quick closer-up photo of it.

Side story: This is the first time I've ever seriously collected something. Eventually, I became so obsessed with learning about these things that I actually tracked down the man who developed the pies for Hostess. Well, I thoroughly questioned him and now I'm currently putting together an "Exhaustive History of the Hostess Ninja Turtles Pies" for the interwebs. It's way more interesting than I would've guessed!

Shogun26 06-09-2016 06:03 PM

Very cool!! I actually saw one of the tshirts and in store promo signs (unused) last year on ebay and wish i would have at least gotten the shirt. Good luck on tracking the items down.

turtlemyke 06-09-2016 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun26 (Post 1589915)
Very cool!! I actually saw one of the tshirts and in store promo signs (unused) last year on ebay and wish i would have at least gotten the shirt. Good luck on tracking the items down.

Thanks! Was the in-store promo sign the same one I have? I'm working on tracking down that t-shirt. The belt buckle has become my holy grail. I'd love to see anything anyone else has, even if it's a couple wrappers!

Shogun26 06-09-2016 06:30 PM

No it was a full body turtle thatb eitherb hung or stood up.

turtlemyke 06-09-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun26 (Post 1589924)
No it was a full body turtle thatb eitherb hung or stood up.

Okay, yeah, the Michelangelo display. I haven't decided if that's something I would want...mostly because it's 6-feet tall but also it doesn't look that cool to me either. However, it does count as something "Turtle Pies" that I don't have.

Powder 06-09-2016 08:38 PM

Hey, thanks a lot for the nice pic! That art is so dope, isn't it? The way they painted it brings to mind not only the first movie's poster but the general style of those Crunchabunga claymation turtles. Actually, it's also sorta in the vein of those parody magazine covers, Cracked, I think. I wonder if that dude did this.

Sabacooza 06-09-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlemyke (Post 1589870)
It's pretty big (19x24 i think) so I can't scan it, but here's a quick closer-up photo of it.

http://i.imgur.com/vsB2s5A.png

Side story: This is the first time I've ever seriously collected something. Eventually, I became so obsessed with learning about these things that I actually tracked down the man who developed the pies for Hostess. Well, I thoroughly questioned him and now I'm currently putting together an "Exhaustive History of the Hostess Ninja Turtles Pies" for the interwebs. It's way more interesting than I would've guessed!

WOW! I love the art on this. Very nicely painted piece.

turtlemyke 06-09-2016 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1589985)
Hey, thanks a lot for the nice pic! That art is so dope, isn't it? The way they painted it brings to mind not only the first movie's poster but the general style of those Crunchabunga claymation turtles. Actually, it's also sorta in the vein of those parody magazine covers, Cracked, I think. I wonder if that dude did this.

Totally the same style as the Crunchabungas claymation.(true story) I actually tracked down the artist that painted the artwork for the Crunchabungas bag and he said he didn't do this.

When the poster arrived in the mail, I couldn't stop staring and thinking about the amount of time someone spent on this painting...only to be used for one poster when the Pies were launched. It's very detailed and larger than you'd think. Who are you, mystery artist? Don't worry, we appreciate your work.

(Oh, and it does look like cover art from Cracked or Mad Magazine or something like that...I'll keep searching for the artist!)

Powder 06-09-2016 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlemyke (Post 1589992)
When the poster arrived in the mail, I couldn't stop staring and thinking about the amount of time someone spent on this painting...only to be used for one poster when the Pies were launched.

(Oh, and it does look like cover art from Cracked or Mad Magazine or something like that...I'll keep searching for the artist!)

Yeah, I find so much material from the turtles' past has that same effect on me. Almost everything had it's own unique & awesomely done art, from food packaging to even dollar store cash-grab toys. Nowadays you just see the same stock poses over & over...

Good luck finding the artist out, hopefully the original piece will one day be yours. I know a guy whose similarly into the Halston cereal merch/art, maybe he'd have a clue who might've done it. I'll ask around.

turtlemyke 06-10-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1590036)
Yeah, I find so much material from the turtles' past has that same effect on me. Almost everything had it's own unique & awesomely done art, from food packaging to even dollar store cash-grab toys. Nowadays you just see the same stock poses over & over...

Good luck finding the artist out, hopefully the original piece will one day be yours. I know a guy whose similarly into the Halston cereal merch/art, maybe he'd have a clue who might've done it. I'll ask around.

Thanks! I actually have a lead on some original Ralston art. Not sure what the best way would be for me to pass it along?

Powder 06-10-2016 01:18 PM

No worries, he's in direct contact with whoever owns all that stuff (might be the artist) & has been buying it off over time. :tlol:

darthwahl56 06-10-2016 07:39 PM

Why, oh why didn't they bring the Turtle pies back?!

Hostess could still make this happen. Do it!:tcool:

HI-C is bringing back Ghostbusters Ecto Cooler. Why not the TMNT Puddin' pies?!

oldmanwinters 06-10-2016 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthwahl56 (Post 1590544)
Why, oh why didn't they bring the Turtle pies back?!

Hostess could still make this happen. Do it!:tcool:

HI-C is bringing back Ghostbusters Ecto Cooler. Why not the TMNT Puddin' pies?!

I would be a thrill to consume those two simultaneously.

Ninjinister 06-10-2016 09:11 PM

I've emailed Hostess over and over, over the years, telling them I'd buy a whole case at least on the first day I saw them, if they brought them out again. I never received so much as an autoreply.

Danakin 06-10-2016 09:24 PM

Impressive collection! There was always something very pleasing to the eye about that artwork. It'd be nice if they would bring them back.