The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Super Mario Bros animated movie from Illumination (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59112)

NinjaPug 11-14-2017 09:27 AM

Super Mario Bros animated movie from Illumination

Quote:

Mario and Luigi are heading to the big screen in one of the highest-profile licensing deals by a Hollywood studio in years.

Illumination Entertainment, which makes animated films for Comcast Corp.’s Universal Pictures, is close to an agreement with Nintendo Co. to make an animated “Super Mario Bros.” movie based on the 32-year-old videogame series about a pair of sibling plumbers who fight evil turtles and mushrooms in a fantasy kingdom, said people with knowledge of the discussions.

Nintendo’s marquee characters have long been tempting to Hollywood, particularly now that the movie business is driven by globally popular franchise films featuring well known brands like Marvel superheroes, “Fast and Furious” and Harry Potter. The dozens of Super Mario Brothers games and their spin-offs are widely believed to be the best-selling videogame franchise ever, having sold more than 330 million units total, according to Nintendo.

Other Hollywood studios have sought the Super Mario Brothers rights in the past, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Illumination, which made “Despicable Me,” “Minions” and “The Secret Life of Pets,” has been talking to Nintendo for more than a year about the movie, according to the people who know about the recent talks. The potential deal follows an agreement Universal’s theme-parks unit made with Nintendo two years ago to build attractions based on Mario and other characters.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment, as did an Illumination spokeswoman.

Universal finances and releases films produced by Illumination, which it co-owns with the animation company’s chief executive, Chris Meledandri.

Nintendo hasn’t made deals for movies or TV shows based on any of its marquee characters since 1993’s commercially and critically disastrous “Super Mario Brothers” starring Bob Hoskins, John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper. Since then, its only cinematic efforts have been 20 inexpensive children’s animated movies based on its “Pokémon” games that were produced by an affiliate.

The most complicated issue in the negotiations between Illumination and Nintendo has been making the Japanese videogame company feel confident it will be involved enough in the creative process, said one person close to the talks. Nintendo’s creative guru, Shigeru Miyamoto, who created Mario Bros., has been part of the talks and likely will be a producer on the movie, along with Mr. Meledandri, this person said.

The agreement could allow Illumination to make multiple “Super Mario” movies, though only one is currently planned, this person added. It would be animated by Illumination’s Paris studio Mac Guff and is in the early stages of development, meaning it likely wouldn’t come out for several years.

Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima said in an interview last year with Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun that the company was in talks with several Hollywood studios about making movies based on its games. In an April analyst briefing, Mr. Kimishima said the company is making theme-park and movie deals less for the potential profits from licensing than for the additional sales revenue that could come from “synergy with the dedicated videogame business.”

Videogame movies have had a relatively poor record at the box office. Last year’s “Warcraft” was a flop in the U.S., though it did well in China, and other disappointments have included adaptations of “Doom,” “Need for Speed,” “Prince of “Persia” and “Assassin’s Creed.”

Nonetheless, they remain attractive to Hollywood. Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. in March will release a reboot of “Tomb Raider,” after a pair of films in the early 2000s based on the games about an explorer and action hero had mixed results. An “Angry Birds” animated movie last year performed decently and a sequel is scheduled for 2019.
https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/mar...ion-1510675881

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 11-14-2017 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPug (Post 1728586)

While my childhood self is excited at this prospect, my adult self is horrified to read that the animation studio involved is Illumination.

I despise every film by them that I've seen. This does not fill me with confidence.

NinjaPug 11-14-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1728588)
While my childhood self is excited at this prospect, my adult self is horrified to read that the animation studio involved is Illumination.

I despise every film by them that I've seen. This does not fill me with confidence.

Those are my exact thoughts. I hate Illumination.

Candy Kappa 11-14-2017 10:02 AM

I enjoyed despicable Me 1 & 2, and they do make cute characters and good animation. So I'm positive about this, it shouldn't be too hard making a better movie then the live-action movie

Spike Spiegel 11-14-2017 10:23 AM

Am I the only one who finds the 1993 SMB film a guilty pleasure?

https://channelawesome.com/forums/at...rtha-jpg.2470/

That movie and the '94 Street Fighter flick are enjoyably bad '90s cheese. Such good actors reciting such ill-conceived material.

Cure 11-14-2017 10:38 AM

Yes! Illumination is a good fit for Mario. It's gonna be super colorful and fast moving.

Vegita-San 11-14-2017 12:26 PM

how can anyone not like despicable me?

this is a perfect fit. if the humor and action is anything like the luigi's mansion games.....could finally be good.

sdp 11-14-2017 12:26 PM

I don't particularly like their movies but at least I think they'll be able to re-create Mario well. I'm worried about the story though, I can't think of a story that could work, Mario is not a character that talks a lot. I hope it's a fun movie, there's potential but I think it'll be difficult.

I mean the Super Mario Bros cartoon worked fine with Mario talking a lot, so they can do it too.

Jester 11-14-2017 12:37 PM

Calling it now: The mustachioed mound of machismo who will voice Mario will be Nick Offerman.

sdp 11-14-2017 12:40 PM

A Charles Martinet style voice is not going to work for a full length movie, I love his voice but yeah can't see it. I'd rather have a voice more in the style of the original cartoon. I hope they go full wacky with the plot and show how weird the Mushroom Kingdom is and Bowser is not really "evil" like in the RPG games, he's just the antagonist. Make a fun story.

Utrommaniac 11-14-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 1728631)
Calling it now: The mustachioed mound of machismo who will voice Mario will be Nick Offerman.

Oh, I wish! That would be amazing.

In the meantime, I'm going to predict Yoshis getting the Minion treatment...

FredWolfLeonardo 11-14-2017 12:57 PM

Will Mario and Luigi be father and son in this?

Jester 11-14-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1728637)
Oh, I wish! That would be amazing.

In the meantime, I'm going to predict Yoshis getting the Minion treatment...

Yoshis or Toads....

Autbot_Benz 11-14-2017 05:47 PM

Does that mean those stupid annoying not funny Minions are gonna show up in the mushroom kingdom?

Cure 11-14-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz (Post 1728707)
Does that mean those stupid annoying not funny Minions are gonna show up in the mushroom kingdom?

No. Don't be stupid. Are you people forgetting they do movies outside of Minions and Despicable Me?

oldmanwinters 11-14-2017 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1728633)
A Charles Martinet style voice is not going to work for a full length movie, I love his voice but yeah can't see it. I'd rather have a voice more in the style of the original cartoon. I hope they go full wacky with the plot and show how weird the Mushroom Kingdom is and Bowser is not really "evil" like in the RPG games, he's just the antagonist. Make a fun story.

:tlol:

Jester 11-14-2017 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cure (Post 1728710)
No. Don't be stupid. Are you people forgetting they do movies outside of Minions and Despicable Me?

True, but even The Lorax had Minion-analogues.

Sumac 11-14-2017 11:46 PM

If Despicable Me is any indication, than this studio is more than fitting for the job.

And as for old SMB movie - it's some kind weird cyberpunk'ish crazy stuff. Atmospheric, but stupid.

Leolead 11-15-2017 12:11 AM

Emmm... Not sure how to feel about this..

TheBlueTurtle1 11-15-2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1728596)
Am I the only one who finds the 1993 SMB film a guilty pleasure?

https://channelawesome.com/forums/at...rtha-jpg.2470/

That movie and the '94 Street Fighter flick are enjoyably bad '90s cheese. Such good actors reciting such ill-conceived material.

No, I think it's great:lol::P