The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Music (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Guilty pleasures (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=49800)

Wesley 10-20-2014 10:26 AM

Guilty pleasures

Anyone have any guilty pleasures in music? I like listening to some songs by Girls Aloud, Big Tom, Gwen Stefani, Taylor Swift, Lily Allen, Natsha Bedingfield and S Club 7.

Powder 10-20-2014 01:10 PM

I wouldn't quite say I have any guilty pleasures, per se, as there's very little I'm not willing to share. Even my most gangsta ass friends know I actively listen to J-pop & other cutsie stuff that might seem strange for a dude of my stature to listen to. :trazz:

Prowler 10-20-2014 01:26 PM

Female J-pop and K-pop singers and bands.

Blossombrooks 10-20-2014 03:19 PM

Britney and back in the day, Hanson. I'm pretty alternative/rock usually but there's nothing wrong with dancing around the kitchen to a bit of mindless pop. :D

pennydreadful 10-23-2014 09:24 PM

I have Backstreet's Back and Bye Bye Bye (Backstreet Boys and N'sync respectively) on my tpod. I don't have enough self-respect to be embarrassed about it though. :lol:

arkangel 10-23-2014 11:13 PM

My ex-wife caught me a few times, silently lip singing with no music.
She literally peed her pants and I thought I'd have to call 911 as she couldn't stop laughing long enough to breathe.

I have a wide range of musical favorites from 80's big hair bands and one hit wonders to alternative and modern top 40 pop. Not a fan of anything country or rap. I also like a some of the deeper goth metal and bands like Halestorm, Evanescence, Blue October, Wallflowers, Gin Blossoms.

I'm straight, I swear.. :lol:

Gunpowder 10-23-2014 11:42 PM

Haha, well...I'm the type of dude who loves hard rock and punk rock. Anything with heavy guitars. Yet, I also like 90's pop (Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Ace of Base, Backstreet Boys). And, hell, I even like certain musicals (Wicked, especially - and I've even gone to see that live on stage). To tell you the truth, I can adjust to basically any genre of music and find something that I like; most modern rap is absolute garbage, though.

But I usually stick to rock because I like it the most (music from certain video games, too).

Discogod 10-25-2014 01:01 PM

I don't believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures" - if you like something, you should like it unashamedly. In my music collection, Britney Spears sits happily next to Captain Beefheart - good music is good music, no matter who made it.

That said, there are a lot of songs that I like that I wouldn't normally admit to, simply because they evoke some kind of fond memory. Gunpowder mentioned Ace Of Base - I love "All That She Wants", just because it was a huge song during a really great summer. Every time I hear it, I get a little warm feeling inside, but I'm not sure I'd really want to admit it in public...

mexichrist83 10-25-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discogod (Post 1370656)
I don't believe in the concept of "guilty pleasures" - if you like something, you should like it unashamedly

This is pretty much my same exact thought. I have never and would never apologize for anything (music, movies, tv shows etc) that I like. Even if I know something I like is silly, not very good or even stupid the important thing is that I can acknowledge the silliness, bad quality or stupidity of it and not have to make an excuse for genuinely liking it. I also have to take comfort in knowing that regardless of what I like there are people out their en masse that probably like way worse crap :tlol:

snake 10-25-2014 01:54 PM

Spoiler:
I actually enjoy Gorrilaz, but the fan base is toxic.

Type 97 Chi-ha 10-26-2014 09:35 AM

How about "Yummy Yummy Yummy, I've Got Love In My Tummy"? Silly, maybe, but not outright stupid like "What Does The Fox Say?".

Leo656 10-26-2014 09:06 PM

I really like A New Found Glory.

Gunpowder 10-30-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 1371258)
I really like A New Found Glory.

Nothing wrong with that at all! I love New Found Glory. Recently bought their new CD, in fact.

MsMarvelDuckie 11-12-2014 11:11 PM

My biggest guilty pleasure in music is COoTS, and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber or Gilbert and Sullivan. Yes, I like Broadway musical soundtracks. My two favorites are Cats and Phantom of the Opera, though I also enjoy a few songs from Avenue Q. Actually, ANY musicals!

Netkeeper 11-13-2014 01:33 AM

Backstreet Boys. I'd listen to them all night if there wasn't a chance of someone hearing it through my headphones.

pennydreadful 11-13-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1378193)
My biggest guilty pleasure in music is COoTS, and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber or Gilbert and Sullivan. Yes, I like Broadway musical soundtracks. My two favorites are Cats and Phantom of the Opera, though I also enjoy a few songs from Avenue Q. Actually, ANY musicals!

Cats and PoTO are great. :D

And hey, if we're talking so-called guilt over bad music, I've got ya beat - I have all of the songs from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas on my tpod. :tlol:

shuriken 11-13-2014 05:13 PM

Cindy Lauper is SOOOO GOOD.
Madonna too. Well, anything before 2004 at least.

MsMarvelDuckie 11-14-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennydreadful (Post 1378391)
Cats and PoTO are great. :D

And hey, if we're talking so-called guilt over bad music, I've got ya beat - I have all of the songs from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas on my tpod. :tlol:

Okay- I surrender to your superior "bad music" guilt! Although, I don't really thing the TOoOS tunes were really all that bad. Some of them were actually pretty GOOD.

joefsas 11-14-2014 01:25 AM

'Hold on' by Wilson Phillips :lol:

pennydreadful 11-14-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1378641)
Okay- I surrender to your superior "bad music" guilt! Although, I don't really thing the TOoOS tunes were really all that bad. Some of them were actually pretty GOOD.

:lol: That's the best part about having bad taste - you don't even really think the bad stuff is bad.