The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Episode Teasers (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=56536)

TheSkeletonMan939 09-27-2016 08:30 AM

Episode Teasers

Seasons 1 through 4 generally had a 'teaser' before the theme song that started in medias res, usually with one of the turtles narrating. Personally, I couldn't STAND this most of the time. And they got so predictable after a while:

"My name is Donatello and being a ninja turtles is hard! It's especially hard when you're trying to dodge lasers fired by space dinosaurs! But sometimes... not all lasers can be dodged!" *cue suspenseful cliffhanger music*

It's always something stupid or meaningless like that that really doesn't deliver any interesting or unique information to the viewer. I couldn't wait for it to be over so that the real episode could start. Am I in the minority here?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-27-2016 08:34 AM

Nope, I hated them, too. The Leatherhead one in "Hunted" or whatever was pretty good, though.

ToTheNines 09-27-2016 08:56 AM

So, it was brilliant for "Things Change". It was a smart way to start the show exactly like Mirage #1, but then jump back and tell their series opener in a different way.

They could have scrapped it after that lol.

They weren't always awful, and if you were a minute or two late to turn it on you didn't miss anything, but they got really lazy with them by the end of season 4 and into 5.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-27-2016 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1627649)
So, it was brilliant for "Things Change". It was a smart way to start the show exactly like Mirage #1, but then jump back and tell their series opener in a different way.

They could have scrapped it after that lol.

They weren't always awful, and if you were a minute or two late to turn it on you didn't miss anything, but they got really lazy with them by the end of season 4 and into 5.

Yeah, "Things Change" worked as well. Two out of... 104, and that's just the first four seasons.

oldmanwinters 09-27-2016 09:40 AM

The one that always sticks in my mind was the intro to "Reflections," season 2's clip show with goofy framing segments. But the intro animation and style was so amazing that I think that week's "new episode" preview focused exclusively on that sequence.

I'll admit that I liked them. It was something different than many other kid's action shows were doing at the time. Like many aspects of the 4Kids show, good ideas that didn't often have great execution. In many cases, the intro suggested a lot more dramatic tension than the actual episode could deliver.

TheSkeletonMan939 09-27-2016 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1627644)
Nope, I hated them, too. The Leatherhead one in "Hunted" or whatever was pretty good, though.

Agreed, I like the introspective ones. Every blue moon the character would tell the viewer what they would never tell anyone in the show.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1627660)
The one that always sticks in my mind was the intro to "Reflections," season 2's clip show with goofy framing segments. But the intro animation and style was so amazing that I think that week's "new episode" preview focused exclusively on that sequence.

Yeah, that one sticks out in my mind as well. The execution for that one was really cool.

ABrown 09-27-2016 11:27 AM

I have no issue with them. I mean I didn't necessarily love them, but they were ok.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 09-27-2016 02:58 PM

In the 1987 cartoon "The Maltese Hamster" has something similair (after the music).

wpugh2424 09-27-2016 04:50 PM

I thought they were cool intros

Coola Yagami 09-28-2016 07:51 AM

The Baxter one was the best one (insane in the membrane). It showed everything he went through from his point of view.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 09-28-2016 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coola Yagami (Post 1628013)
The Baxter one was the best one (insane in the membrane). It showed everything he went through from his point of view.

That was also good.

Basically, when the teasers weren't simply a preview of the coming episode rehashing the same scene with different dialogue (monologue) but instead actually ADDED to the story and character, it was good.

And it didn't happen very often.

oldmanwinters 09-28-2016 11:59 AM

Nerd that I am, sometimes I tried to determine at exactly what point in the actual episode that the introductory sequence would have fit. There were a couple of instances (maybe "Return to New York") where it seemed like the intro account contradicted the actual continuity at some slight point.

Tetsu Deinonychus 12-28-2016 12:52 PM

They didn't always add too much, but I never minded them. They really fit the rhythm of the show, either way.

It's just now occurred to me that these intros are kinda similar to the frontispieces from the "Tales of TMNT" comics. Maybe, they should have been from different adventures and all ended with "Let me tell ya a story".

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 01-05-2017 05:02 AM

Maybe something for the 2012 cartoon to do some changes in the beginning?

Wesley 01-06-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 (Post 1627666)
Agreed, I like the introspective ones. Every blue moon the character would tell the viewer what they would never tell anyone in the show.

I liked them as well. I thought they were a good way for allowing the characters to break the fourth wall outside of the actual episode.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 01-17-2017 07:16 AM

Didn't many action-cartoons have like these around 2003?

Chris 01-27-2017 02:45 PM

I could take or leave them but loved the first one for Things Change

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 02-11-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 1656111)
I could take or leave them but loved the first one for Things Change

It's a great refering to the Mirage opening.