The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Public speaking (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57544)

Prowler 03-13-2017 02:09 PM

Public speaking

Some are fine with it while others find it daunting. Where do you fall in on the scale?

I'm not a huge fan of it if I'm doing all by myself. If it's a group presentation than it's fine, but just me? Bleh. It's fine if I'm talking to a group of people I already know and am comfortable around, however. But I don't look forward to a possible day where I'll have to speak to a bunch of strangers at an auditorium for like an hour.

Andrew NDB 03-13-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667423)
Some are fine with it while others find it daunting. Where do you fall in on the scale?

I'm not a huge fan of it if I'm doing all by myself. If it's a group presentation than it's fine, but just me? Bleh. It's fine if I'm talking to a group of people I already know and am comfortable around, however. But I don't look forward to a possible day where I'll have to speak to a bunch of strangers at an auditorium for like an hour.

Horrifying.

TheSkeletonMan939 03-13-2017 02:14 PM

America's number one fear is apparently public speaking. Who knew?

I for one am usually fine with it, even though I have a horrible tendency to trip over my words so much of the time.

Prowler 03-13-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667424)
Horrifying.

Really? I had a feeling you'd not struggle at it. Maybe it's the way you come across on the forums.

Powder 03-13-2017 02:17 PM

I perform music on stage, but that's a bit different. You can kinda mask your anxiety with your movements. But I have given speeches before too, wasn't thaaat bad. I dunno.

Andrew NDB 03-13-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1667426)
Really? I had a feeling you'd not struggle at it. Maybe it's the way you come across on the forums.

I don't really struggle, I just really dread the very idea of it.

plastroncafe 03-13-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

"I saw a thing, actually a study that said:
speaking in front of a crowd is considered the number one fear of the average person.
I found that amazing.
Number two, was death.
Death is number two?
This means, to the average person, if you have to be at a funeral,
you would rather be in the casket than doing the eulogy." - Jerry Seinfeld
I'm far more comfortable public speaking if I'm super well-versed in what I'm speaking about. Which is good, considering I make a living speaking in public.

Prowler 03-13-2017 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1667427)
I perform music on stage, but that's a bit different. You can kinda mask your anxiety with your movements. But I have given speeches before too, wasn't thaaat bad. I dunno.

I remember Lemmy from Motorhead saying that he usually position the mic in a way that forced him to look up and not face the crowd directly. He said it made him mroe comfortable.

As for music, well I dunno, if you play at parties at clubs and such it will be a bit dark for you to see the audience, no? They'll be too busy partying and drinking rather than looking at the DJ. Like you've said, it's a bit different.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1667428)
I don't really struggle, I just really dread the very idea of it.

Well, true, the anticipation is way worse than the speaking itself.

MikeandRaph87 03-13-2017 02:26 PM

I am a high school teacher so I am on a stage every day with an audience of 60 students and have to get up in front of coworkers as a lead teacher.So is an everyday thing with youth to those up to age 60. Sometimes you have to be a little energetic to get points across. Friday to explain imperialism I had two big students follow me around the room acting as muscle and taking students bookbags as a way of explaining imperialism. I am an introvert by nature, but in profession I view it as I act on a stage and have to do things proper to create learning and break the ice for others.

DestronMirage22 03-13-2017 02:27 PM

I get really nervous talking to one individual. You can probably imagine how I feel talking to a big group of people. :(

Prowler 03-13-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1667434)
I am a high school teacher so I am on a stage every day with an audience of 60 students and have to get up in front of coworkers as a lead teacher.So is an everyday thing with youth to those up to age 60. Sometimes you have to be a little energetic to get points across. Friday to explain imperialism I had two big students follow me around the room acting as muscle and taking students bookbags as a way of explaining imperialism. I am an introvert by nature, but in profession I view it as I act on a stage and have to do things proper to create learning and break the ice for others.

Yes, many teachers sorta act in the classroom. Especially when they're dealing with a younger crowd and need kids to listen to them and respect them.

My mom's a teacher, so she says she's used to people looking at her.

CyberCubed 03-13-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1667434)

I still can't picture you as a High School teacher. It just seems really weird to me based on how you post on the forums and how young you are.

Just weird. I can't imagine it.

IndigoErth 03-13-2017 03:06 PM

I'm in the category of oh hell no.

The #1 thing from school that I do not, and will never, miss.

MikeandRaph87 03-13-2017 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667442)
I still can't picture you as a High School teacher. It just seems really weird to me based on how you post on the forums and how young you are.

Just weird. I can't imagine it.

based on how you post on the forums.

What do you mean by curiosity?

CyberCubed 03-13-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1667457)
based on how you post on the forums.

What do you mean by curiosity?

Basically your dialogue and posting structure. It doesn't resemble that of a professional teacher. A lot of your posts tend to have spelling errors or not spaced correctly after a period, I'm not sure if it's because you type on a phone or not but it's awkward to read sometimes.

MikeandRaph87 03-13-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667461)
Basically your dialogue and posting structure. It doesn't resemble that of a professional teacher. A lot of your posts tend to have spelling errors or not spaced correctly after a period, I'm not sure if it's because you type on a phone or not but it's awkward to read sometimes.

If you say so. What does a profesional teacher's dialog structure look like? Spacing? Dont see it. I do prefer a keyboard though, for typing purposes but I am on Android now and its easier to reply on it if its forum stuff.

Krutch 03-13-2017 03:50 PM

I'm actually very good at it from what I've been told.

I'm also utterly terrified of it.

CyberCubed 03-13-2017 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 (Post 1667464)
If you say so. What does a profesional teacher's dialog structure look like? Spacing? Dont see it. I do prefer a keyboard though, for typing purposes but I am on Android now and its easier to reply on it if its forum stuff.

Some people on this forum are teachers, like Cipher if you recall. The way teachers post on forums is as if they're writing essays. They type with etiquette and articulate their points on an almost intellectual level. It's quite fascinating to read from a distance.

Prowler 03-13-2017 04:08 PM

I had no idea Cipher was a teacher but it does not surprise me at all. He does indeed write very eloquently.

It makes sense considering teachers(well except math, physics and gym ones, I guess) are the type of people who tend to read a lot. It'd be odd if they couldn't write properly.

I mean, think about it, it's quite easy to tell, judging by someone's posts, if they read often or not. Or at least their literacy level. Especially when you engage them in discussions and arguments and take a look at their interpretation and argumentative skills.

I have the nasty habit of going on multiple tangents when I type long posts. :P

IndigoErth 03-13-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1667461)
Basically your dialogue and posting structure. It doesn't resemble that of a professional teacher.

What if some people have a professional teacher mode and a slightly more relaxed off the job mode?

Or if someone's area or style of teaching relies far more on their speaking and presentation skills than writing skills, I don't imagine everyone necessarily has to write absolutely perfectly like a college English professor, esp off the job.

MikeandRaph87, your classes sound fun. Wish I'd had classes like that. :)