The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TV and Movies (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Umbrella Academy (Netflix TV series) (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59453)

ProphetofGanja 01-23-2018 02:41 PM

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix TV series)

https://68.media.tumblr.com/d882a2e7...upoo1_1280.jpg

Continuing on from this thread, here's a thread for the upcoming 2018 show based on the Dark Horse comic book series The Umbrella Academy (which is great and should be read by everyone), created by Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá, the third volume of which allegedly will be released later this year.

The Cast:
  • Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves, aka The Monocle
    Spoiler:
    An alien disguised as a wealthy entrepreneur and world-renowned scientist. He is also the adoptive father of seven children who were born under mysterious circumstances and have supernatural abilities. Inventor of The Televator, The Levitator, The Mobile Umbrella Communicator, and Clever Crisp cereal. Olympic gold medalist and recipient of the Nobel Prize for his work in the cerebral advancement of the chimpanzee. He was very cold in his raising of the children in that he refused to let the children call him father, instead preferring to be called The Monocle. Also, when speaking to the children, he addressed them by their number, which he gave them in order of usefulness to him. Hargreeves deprived them of any normal childhood, instead relentlessly training and manipulating them into a dysfunctional team of young superheroes known as the Umbrella Academy
  • Tom Hopper as #00.01, aka Spaceboy, aka Luther Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    The leader of the Umbrella Academy. As a child he possessed super-strength and greatly increased resilience. After a disastrous expedition to Mars, however, The Monocle had to transplant his head onto the body of a Martian gorilla. His Martian gorilla body can withstand the vacuum of space although his human head still requires a helmet. He often uses a jet-pack and his weapon of choice is a ray-gun. After his career with The Umbrella Academy he moved to the moon and lived at the Annihilation Control outpost to monitor for impending threats.
  • David Castañeda as #00.02, aka the Kraken, aka Diego Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    The reckless and rebellious member of the team; described by The Monocle as “an insolent brat.” He has the ability to hold his breath indefinitely and has demonstrated a strong affinity for knife-throwing. He and Luther have a very clear rivalry, and Diego seems unwilling to take orders from Luther. He is more of a Batman-like superhero in that he goes on regular patrols and can be seen taking down drug dealers and other street-level criminals. In his teenage years, he was the bass player in a band called the Prime-8s, with Body (Inspector Lupo's chimpanzee partner) and his sister Vanya.
  • Emmy Raver-Lampman #00.03, aka The Rumor, aka Allison Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    Described by The Monocle as incredibly narcissistic. She has the ability to instantly alter reality by lying. After her career with the Umbrella Academy, she married her boyfriend Patrick and had a daughter named Claire. The couple has since divorced and Patrick has full custody of their daughter. She is romantically linked to her adopted brother, Spaceboy, however their love for each other is unconsummated as Spaceboy sees himself as somewhat of a monstrosity due to his Martian gorilla body.
  • Robert Sheehan as #00.04, aka The Séance, aka Klaus Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    Showcases a fretful, morbid temperament. His powers are levitation, telekinesis, and the ability to communicate with the dead, although his powers only work when he is not wearing shoes. He has the words "Hello" and "Goodbye" tattooed on his palms. It has been theorized by Dr. Pogo that he's been taking drugs since he was a teenager.
  • Aidan Gallagher as #00.05, aka The Boy
    Spoiler:
    At the age of 10, the boy disappeared by traveling 50 years into the future, which seemed to hold no difficulty for him. Sir Reginald had warned him that he would never be able to go back but after spending years calculating the logistics he was able to travel back in time. He physically aged normally during his time in the future but upon returning to the past, he regained his 10-year-old appearance, despite his adoptive siblings now being 30. His body is apparently stuck in time and cannot age, as medical examinations prove that there are signs of neither cell growth nor death.
  • TBA* as #00.06, aka the Horror, aka Ben Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    Possesses monsters from other dimensions under his skin (most often appearing as tentacles emerging from his torso). He is deceased, but no information regarding his death has been given. There is a memorial statue of him located in front of the Academy.
  • Ellen Page as #00.07, aka Vanya Hargreeves, aka The White Violin
    Spoiler:
    The most estranged member of the group, Vanya originally showcased no exceptional powers other than an interest in music. Vanya is known to have written a memoir detailing her life with the Umbrella Academy and her decision to leave.
  • TBA as Mrs. Grace Hargreeves
    Spoiler:
    Referred to as "Mom" by the members of the Umbrella Academy, and appears to be a partially animate plastic mannequin. Little information is given as to her origins.
  • Adam Godley as Dr. Phinneus Pogo
    Spoiler:
    A talking chimpanzee who worked for The Monocle. He was a source of warmth and support that the children never received from their adoptive father.
  • Cameron Britton and Mary J. Blige as Hazel and Cha-Cha
    Spoiler:
    Ruthless mercenaries who are tasked with traveling through time to take out targets in different decades while working for a shadowy organization, the Temps Aeternalis. Though Hazel is a loyal company man who has enjoyed what he does for decades, the job starts to wear on him—which puts him at odds with his equally lethal partner, Cha-Cha.
  • Ashley Madekwe as Detective Patch
    Spoiler:
    An up-and-coming member of the city’s police department focused on solving a string of crimes in the city. Some might call her arrogant, but she gets the job done, and with charm. She plays by the book, but that doesn’t make her soft. Patch is set to butt heads with at least one member of the Umbrella Academy due to her stance on vigilante justice.

*it is unclear at this time if these characters will appear in the series as they are already deceased when the series begins

Filming for the series began last Monday, January 15th

https://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-cont...-1-600x600.jpg

Gerard Way: “I am thrilled that ‘The Umbrella Academy’ has found a home at Netflix. I couldn’t think of a better place for the vision Gabriel Bá and myself had when creating the comic, and cannot wait for people to experience that world as a live action show.”

Cindy Holland, VP of Netflix OC: “What drew us to ‘The Umbrella Academy’ is that it’s wholly unique, visual, and stylized. These aren’t the usual superheroes, and this series will embrace the singular tone of the graphic novels—dark yet humorous, supernatural yet grounded in reality. We’re excited to see this world and introduce these unforgettable heroes to Netflix members around the globe.”

The first season of The Umbrella Academy will have ten episodes, although whether they will be an hour or half-hour in length has yet to be announced.

Universal Cable Productions is set to produce the series, with Steve Blackman (Fargo, Legion) serving as executive producer and showrunner. Way, Bluegrass Television, and Dark Horse’s Mike Richardson and Keith Goldberg are set to executive produce the pilot, directed by Peter Hoar from a script by Jeremy Slater.

Updates will be added as they are announced

ProphetofGanja 02-13-2018 11:44 AM

Apparently Mary J. Blige is going to be on the show

Mary J. Blige to Star in New Netflix Series by My Chemical Romance’s Gerard Way

https://media.pitchfork.com/photos/5...Gerard Way.png

If you are familiar with the comic then this new is coming waaay out of left field

https://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m...gu8oo1_500.jpg

plastroncafe 02-13-2018 11:58 AM

I remember reading the books and not being as blown away by the story as I was by the artwork.

The simple fact that Ba drew the table read just...it makes my heart sing.

NinjaPug 02-13-2018 12:40 PM

That's some interesting casting for Cha-Cha.

Is Netflix really releasing the season later this year if they just started filming last month? Seems like a quick turnaround.

ProphetofGanja 02-17-2018 09:02 PM

Update: The Umbrella Academy: Cameron Britton, Colm Feore, Adam Godley & Ashley Madekwe Join Netflix Series

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1746070)
I remember reading the books and not being as blown away by the story as I was by the artwork.

The simple fact that Ba drew the table read just...it makes my heart sing.

Bá's artwork is definitely one of the biggest draws of the series and I hope it's at least referenced on the show somehow

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaPug (Post 1746078)
That's some interesting casting for Cha-Cha.

Is Netflix really releasing the season later this year if they just started filming last month? Seems like a quick turnaround.

Yeah, a lot of interesting casting and altering of roles for this show. Right now I'm intrigued but if they change too much it feels like it wouldn't be based on the comic books

ProphetofGanja 03-04-2018 05:15 PM

Apparently the showrunners have created a love interest-character for Vanya Hargreeves and cast John Magaro in the role

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....14,317_AL_.jpg

You may have seen him on Orange is the New Black

NinjaPug 07-18-2018 07:44 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DibX4FEX0AAuwXq?format=jpg

ProphetofGanja 07-18-2018 10:28 PM

Well you know I'm excited

NinjaPug 07-19-2018 07:29 AM

Somehow I missed the news a couple weeks ago that a 3rd comic is coming out this Fall.

http://ew.com/books/2018/07/10/gerar...-release-date/

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 07-19-2018 08:37 AM

Super stoked!

AquaParade 07-19-2018 08:48 AM

I've always been a really big fan of Gerard Way. Great to see the ball rolling on this series!

ProphetofGanja 01-07-2019 08:53 PM

10 Umbrella Academy Facts To Know Before Watching It On Netflix

The Umbrella Academy will premiere on February 15th

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-18-2019 12:27 PM

Marathoned it this weekend. Damn good stuff. I personally like it better than the comics.

Also, Ben (The Horror) gets to actually be a character, which is fantastic.

The only difference I wouldn't have minded keeping the same would be the changes to Hazel and Cha Cha. But, it did make them far more nuanced and interesting. I liked it.

10/10. Bring on Season 2!!!

newfan 02-18-2019 12:35 PM

I'm not familiar with this but caught the preview on Netflix, looked good so I'm gonna check it out.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-18-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfan (Post 1795038)
I'm not familiar with this but caught the preview on Netflix, looked good so I'm gonna check it out.

Think the X-Men, if Professor X was a complete and utterly heartless bastard.

Andrew NDB 02-18-2019 12:41 PM

Watched the trailer for it on Netflix. It looks a little too... posh for me, but maybe I'll check it out eventually.

newfan 02-18-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1795042)
Think the X-Men, if Professor X was a complete and utterly heartless bastard.

Huh, sounds interesting :)

Andrew NDB 02-22-2019 09:52 AM

Saw the first episode. There's stuff I like in there, but these characters are pretty cardboard. I think we're supposed to like Vanya the most, but mostly she just stares blankly around or plays an instrument.

Also the action stuff with the blood... I don't know that it's the show's fault, but it's hard to get too excited about it so soon after Punisher season 2, which did this kind of stuff way, way better and with NO powers.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 02-22-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1795711)
Saw the first episode. There's stuff I like in there, but these characters are pretty cardboard. I think we're supposed to like Vanya the most, but mostly she just stares blankly around or plays an instrument.

Also the action stuff with the blood... I don't know that it's the show's fault, but it's hard to get too excited about it so soon after Punisher season 2, which did this kind of stuff way, way better and with NO powers.

Funny, because I never was able to finish season 2 of Punisher, but I just finished my second run of this show last night (once solo, once with the wife).

Different strokes. :trazz:

Andrew NDB 02-22-2019 11:23 AM

On paper this is something I should love. It's just... the characters aren't reeling me in, and I'm having trouble buying this universe.

Like, the flashback when they were kids, where they go into a bank and murder all of the bank robbers, then come out and announce themselves and their identities to the police with their dad. How wouldn't they immediately have all been arrested?

And their long lost brother returns in front of them after 15+ years... and no one even seems that terribly excited? Like, it doesn't even register for them and then the next day they're already ready to go their separate ways and not, y'know, hanging out with the brother you thought had been dead forever? This isn't how people behave.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1795719)
Funny, because I never was able to finish season 2 of Punisher

You still need to!