The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   World Health Organization Draft Recognizes Gaming Addiction (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59339)

The Deadman 12-28-2017 09:24 AM

World Health Organization Draft Recognizes Gaming Addiction

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...addiction.aspx

Quote:

The World Health Organization, the health arm of the United Nations, has included a recognition of gaming addiction in their newest internal classification of diseases revision.

That classification, or the ICD-11, is due out in 2018 and the current draft points to prioritization of gaming above all else and impaired control over the act as behavior indicating an addiction.

“The behavior pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational, or other important areas of functioning,” reads the current WHO draft. “The gaming behavior and other features are normally evident over a period of at least 12 months in order for a diagnosis to be assigned, although the required duration may be shortened if all diagnostic requirements are met and symptoms are severe.”

Official recognition means that it's likely official diagnoses are likely not far down the line.
We need gaming addiction to be officially recognized now?

PApagreg 12-28-2017 09:43 AM

Eh, while I think it is sort of interesting that a WHO draft recognized gaming addiction I doubt anything major is going to come out of it.

plastroncafe 12-28-2017 09:52 AM

Here's to hoping people, and more importantly the people around those people, can get some help.

TigerClaw 12-28-2017 10:24 AM

I never really had a gaming addiction, I played video games since the 80s, but it was never enough that I was addicted to them, I only play the games I'm interested in, plus there are times where your burned out by video games, you rather watch other people play them, like on Twitch.

Playing video games can sometimes be stressful, like if your stuck on a level you can't beat, you resort to using cheat codes to beat it.

The Deadman 12-28-2017 11:07 AM

I think this is a response to the people who sit on games like League of Legends and World of Warcraft virtually all day long.

newfan 12-28-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1736855)
I think this is a response to the people who sit on games like League of Legends and World of Warcraft virtually all day long.

I think someone died doing a marathon thing like that recently.. Anyway, yes that was my thought, the minority you mentioned not general gamers.

Shark_Blade 12-28-2017 08:13 PM

And they wanted to make gaming as an e-sport. What a joke.

FredWolfLeonardo 12-28-2017 08:21 PM

Its about time!

ProphetofGanja 12-28-2017 08:29 PM

I mean, anything can be taken too far, so this isn't really news but it is good that more forms of addiction are being recognized

Coola Yagami 12-29-2017 02:51 PM

Gaming was my life as a kid. Once I had to work for a living, I feel as if I have to force myself to game.

Prowler 12-30-2017 10:20 AM

I must have played about 30 hours of video games in the past 10-14 days. Do I qualify as an addict?

PApagreg 12-30-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1737130)
I must have played about 30 hours of video games in the past 10-14 days. Do I qualify as an addict?

Can't tell if this is a rhetorical or legitimate question.

Prowler 12-30-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PApagreg (Post 1737134)
Can't tell if this is a rhetorical or legitimate question.

I am more or less joking.

newfan 12-30-2017 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1737136)
I am more or less joking.

Yeah I figured you might be when I started to reply.

Prowler 12-30-2017 11:21 AM

Anyway, I think I was more addicted when I was a kid/teenager. granted nowadays I don't have much time to play games all day anymore, but even if I have nothing else do one on a day, I cant' bring myself to spend 8-9 hours of it playing video games like I did when I was 13 or so.