The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What Type of D&D Character Should You Play? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58219)

ProphetofGanja 07-05-2017 09:57 PM

What Type of D&D Character Should You Play?

Survey here

I've been planning on getting into Dungeons & Dragons recently and so I've been reading up on everything I can. Lately I've started thinking about characters I would play or campaigns I would run as a Dungeon Master.

This survey is lengthy but it does a pretty good job of breaking down the different aspects of a D&D character. Of course one of the main aspects of D&D is role-playing so you can just choose whatever type of character you want, but if you want to play a character that feels like yourself and would act and react accordingly, with all your strengths and weaknesses, this is a fun way to pick one.

On my most recent completion of this survey I got Neutral Good Human Bard and the time before that I got Chaotic Good Half-Elf Wizard (because for some questions there's no answer that feels "just right", and your answer may change depending on your mood or something)

IndigoErth 07-05-2017 10:14 PM

Does it have Rogues? Because I love me my Rogues. I'll check it out and see what it gives me.

Edit: Nope, but seeing it goes by actual personal choices, etc, then I guess it wouldn't turn out that way.

True Neutral Human Druid (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 11
Dexterity- 12
Constitution- 12
Intelligence- 15
Wisdom- 18
Charisma- 9

Spoiler:
Detailed Results:

Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Lawful Neutral -- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (24)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (26)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXX (3)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Chaos --- XXX (3)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (15)
Evil ---- (0)

Race:
Human ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (15)
Dwarf ---- XXXXXX (6)
Elf ------ XXXXXXXXXX (10)
Gnome ---- XXXX (4)
Halfling - XXXXXXXX (8)
Half-Elf - XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
Half-Orc - XXXX (4)

Class:
Barbarian - XX (2)
Bard ------ XXXXXXXX (8)
Cleric ---- XXXX (4)
Druid ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (18)
Fighter --- XXXXXXXX (8)
Monk ------ XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (16)
Paladin --- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Ranger ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (16)
Rogue ----- XX (2)
Sorcerer -- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Wizard ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)

Still a well meaning Rogue at heart. ;)

TurtleWA 07-05-2017 10:28 PM

That is one time consuming survey. Did it rather quickly so not sure how accurate. But am a:

Chaotic Neutral Halfling Sorcerer (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 19
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 16
Intelligence- 17
Wisdom- 16
Charisma- 15

I understand what your talking about in needing to take it more than once.

ProphetofGanja 07-05-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoErth (Post 1696085)
Does it have Rogues? Because I love me my Rogues. I'll check it out and see what it gives me.

Yes, it assigns you an alignment (lawful/neutral/chaotic, good/neutral/evil), race (dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, half-orc, halfling, human), and class (barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, wizard). It also calculates a level and stats based on the confidence/consistency of your answers.

Only the basic options for class and race, but it's a pretty good starting point

Cure 07-05-2017 10:51 PM

Lawful Good Human Cleric (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 8
Dexterity- 12
Constitution- 9
Intelligence- 16
Wisdom- 15
Charisma- 13

Candy Kappa 07-06-2017 02:35 AM

I've done this one before, and I think I got something really boring like a human fighter.

In real life I prefer playing Elves, and for classes I like Bards or anything flamboyant and swashbuckler-y. I really enjoy the Swordmage class in 4e, it's not the best defender but it's a lot of fun, especially if you're a Eladrin Elf and can teleport multiple times.

MsMarvelDuckie 07-06-2017 07:16 AM

As a long-time player and DM, I say play whatever catches your inagination. For me it is elves or half-dragons(yes that is an actual "race" with variations depending on the type of dragon parent) or gnomes, and for classes I like bards, wizards or multi-class fighter/mage (bladesingers and the like). In fact I am running my regular library game this Saturday. Should be fun- the group is in a goblin lair that is actually the upper level of a dragon's den.....

MsMarvelDuckie 07-06-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1696087)
That is one time consuming survey. Did it rather quickly so not sure how accurate. But am a:

Chaotic Neutral Halfling Sorcerer (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 19
Dexterity- 15
Constitution- 16
Intelligence- 17
Wisdom- 16
Charisma- 15

I understand what your talking about in needing to take it more than once.

Those are some nice stats but based on that I think barbarian or fighter is more appropriate.

Krutch 07-06-2017 08:44 AM

Neutral Good Halfling Paladin (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 15
Dexterity- 13
Constitution- 13
Intelligence- 11
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 14

I don't play D&D and even I can tell that's boring.

TurtleWA 07-06-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1696117)
Those are some nice stats but based on that I think barbarian or fighter is more appropriate.

I will take your word for it because I don't even know the slightest about any of that or interpreting the stats. :)

Barbarian and fighter sound dull compared to sorcerer. I'm not sure I would like that. :ohwell:

Cure 07-06-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krutch (Post 1696128)
Neutral Good Halfling Paladin (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
Strength- 15
Dexterity- 13
Constitution- 13
Intelligence- 11
Wisdom- 14
Charisma- 14

I don't play D&D and even I can tell that's boring.

That doesn't even make sense. Paladins have to be Lawful Good. This quiz is confused, haha.

Candy Kappa 07-06-2017 02:41 PM

In 4th edition they dropped aligment requirement for classes, older editions even required Paladins to meet certain ability score as well. In current 5th edition it's strongly suggested that a paladin are off a Lawful alignment, but not necessarily Good.

Cure 07-06-2017 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1696195)
In 4th edition they dropped aligment requirement for classes, older editions even required Paladins to meet certain ability score as well. In current 5th edition it's strongly suggested that a paladin are off a Lawful alignment, but not necessarily Good.

Oh, OK. Even then, he wasn't lawful but neutral, haha. But I see what you mean.

Candy Kappa 07-06-2017 02:51 PM

Heh, true. I once was in a game with a player paladin that didn't follow a deity, since it's not required in 4e, so he was a Paladin of Philosophy :lol:

MsMarvelDuckie 07-06-2017 04:05 PM

Third edition was a literal game-changer in that it introduced paladins of ANY alignment (so long as it matches their diety's alighnment- paladins without a specific deity could be LG CE or LN.) Then 3.5 upped the ante with paladin variants based on race, clerical ability(paladins are considered divine spellcasters) and feat or ability exchanges. So technically yes, one COULD have a NG paladin. As compared to OD&D or AD&D(2nd edition) where paladins were strictly LG, and HUMAN.

Speaking of tanking classes, a fighter can be used in any number of ways depending on what feats and weapons you choose. For example, one could model a fighter after Captain America and focus on shield feats like shield bashing, throwing, and charging. Or use two swords like Leonardo and be a sword master. Or bows of any sort with feats like point blank shot, multi-shot, long shot, etc. One can go light or heavy armor, depending on dexterity and strength. One can even use finesse weapons like fencing sabers or be a dagger thrower or dual axes, flails, or focus on polearms. Fighters are incredibly versitile. A fighter with the right build can handle pretty much anything. There are even feats that allow one to use ANYTHING as a weapon, or to throw random objects(even other people if they are big/strong enough) as weapons. In other words, barroom and street brawlers.

Barbarians have the rage ability which increases HP, strength and damage inflicted. There are even spellcasting variants (prestige classes) one can use where the rage causes spells to do more damage and gives certain other bonuses. Or barbarian skalds whose warrior songs both inspire their allies and strengthen them all while raging in battle. Barbarians are pretty good as shock troops and intimidators. And a barbarian flying off his mount at the enemy can instill fear and cause massive damage- Mr D. likes to play a dwarf barbar with spiked armor who is fond of doing that.

MsMarvelDuckie 07-09-2017 08:23 AM

On a related note speaking of barbarians, yesterday was my regular library game and I managed to kill the party's barbarian orc. First PC I've actually killed in over 10 years! And only the second overall. Not because I haven't "tried", either.