The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Channel 6 staff occupations (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=59685)

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 03-06-2018 03:03 PM

Channel 6 staff occupations

During seasons 1-2 of the original series, it seemed to be established what everyone did at Channel 6. April O'Neil was a news-reporter, Vernon Fenwick was the cameraman, Blodgett drove the newsvan and Irma was Burne Thompson's secretary (he seemed to have some more).

Then, suddenly, during season 3 changes began. April O'Neil stayed what she was, but suddenly Vernon Fenwick began to report news, and Irma began to drive the newsvan and operate the camera.

Why all these changes suddenly?

Prowler 03-06-2018 03:13 PM

I had wondered about that before as well. I believe I made a similar thread to this before, in fact.

The news station must have been short on staff. I mean, it was attacked often after all. Would you want to work there?

neatoman 03-06-2018 03:22 PM

Remember that April is literally a magic drawing her dad made? See, when she grew up she needed a job, she just couldn't get one since she didn't have a birth certificate to prove she's a citizen. So in order help her out, daddy created people who would indeed hire someone without proof of citizenship. That's why their roles kept changing, he just wrote them differently depending on the situation. Then when Shredder blew up the building, he was effectly written into a corner. That's why they disappeared and were never mentioned again, just to be replaced by completely different people. He had to come up with a new job for her, the fictional manifestations couldn't just start over, they didn't have birth certificates either. So they literally just vanished out of thin air.

Prowler 03-06-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1750127)
Remember that April is literally a magic drawing her dad made? See, when she grew up she needed a job, she just couldn't get one since she didn't have a birth certificate to prove she's a citizen. So in order help her out, daddy created people who would indeed hire someone without proof of citizenship. That's why their roles kept changing, he just wrote them differently depending on the situation. Then when Shredder blew up the building, he was effectly written into a corner. That's why they disappeared and were never mentioned again, just to be replaced by completely different people. He had to come up with a new job for her, the fictional manifestations couldn't just start over, they didn't have birth certificates either. So they literally just vanished out of thin air.

Lol nice one.

But yeah, April was definitely not a drawing in the FW series. In Fact, her being a drawing was only revealed in volume 4 of Mirage comics wasn't it? Volume 4 came out after the FW series ended, didn't it? I doubt Pater laird even had her as a drawing in mind back in 1987.

Sumac 03-06-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1750120)
During seasons 1-2 of the original series, it seemed to be established what everyone did at Channel 6. April O'Neil was a news-reporter, Vernon Fenwick was the cameraman, Blodgett drove the newsvan and Irma was Burne Thompson's secretary (he seemed to have som more).

Then, suddenly, during season 3 changes began. April O'Neil stayed what she was, but suddenly Vernon Fenwick began to report news, and Irma began to drive the newsvan and operate the camera.

Why all these changes suddenly?

People changed their occupation?
Vernon was promoted most likely (for properly licking ass of his boss (not literally)). And Irma was...promoted too. Possibly.

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 03-06-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1750146)
People changed their occupation?
Vernon was promoted most likely (for properly licking ass of his boss (not literally)). And Irma was...promoted too. Possibly.

Irma was still back at secretary in many episodes.

Prowler 03-06-2018 04:02 PM

Blodgett was only in that Eye of the Sarnoth episode really. Also, Vernon fired him... which was odd since Vernon didn't have any authority at Channel 6. He was a cameraman. How could he have the authority to fire someone?

FredWolfLeonardo 03-06-2018 05:01 PM

I guess April was just a famous reporter with the viewers so Burne allocated all his resources into giving her the spotlight by making Irma her cameraman etc. I mean, who wouldn't watch her all the time?

He couldn't rely on April all the time (since she disobeyed him all the time) so its natural he'd get the next best (well not the best, but certainly loyal) guy, Vernon, to be a news reporter.

CyberCubed 03-06-2018 05:15 PM

Why is this a surprise? People's jobs change, they got promoted. Irma went from a secretary to a camerawoman. Vernon went from a cameraman to his own reporter. They got raises and changed jobs in the company like people do in real life.

That being said its pretty funny for what seemed to be at least a 7 story tall building, the Channel 6 news crews staff seemed to not be that much. What about that middle-aged slightly overweight blonde reporter who would report the news in a few eps? I don't know if he was ever named.

FredWolfLeonardo 03-06-2018 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1750176)
That being said its pretty funny for what seemed to be at least a 7 story tall building, the Channel 6 news crews staff seemed to not be that much. What about that middle-aged slightly overweight blonde reporter who would report the news in a few eps? I don't know if he was ever named.

Are you talking about the one with a deep voice and a mustache? He was heard alot more than seen, but I found his voice to be pretty memorable. A shame he was never made into a proper character, it would've expanded on the Channel Six crew beyond the main four members.

CyberCubed 03-06-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1750179)
Are you talking about the one with a deep voice and a mustache? He was heard alot more than seen, but I found his voice to be pretty memorable. A shame he was never made into a proper character, it would've expanded on the Channel Six crew beyond the main four members.

Yes, that's the guy. He also appeared in the episode Raphael being the Green Avenger superhero, and April sees the reporter and says, "I'm April from Channel 6 news" like she never met the guy before. :lol:

Prowler 03-06-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Why is this a surprise? People's jobs change, they got promoted. Irma went from a secretary to a camerawoman. Vernon went from a cameraman to his own reporter. They got raises and changed jobs in the company like people do in real life.

Going from a secretary to camerawoman and even a reporter(in some eps) is a bit of a strange path, though. Pretty sure reporter and secretary jobs require different qualifications. Not everyone who works at news stations is a reporter. It'd be like Phil, the security guy who appears in one of the episodes, eventually becoming a janitor or something.

oldmanwinters 03-06-2018 05:32 PM

This thread is surprisingly entertaining. I have come to love the Channel 6 crew and their various episodic "B stories."

neatoman 03-06-2018 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1750134)
Lol nice one.

But yeah, April was definitely not a drawing in the FW series. In Fact, her being a drawing was only revealed in volume 4 of Mirage comics wasn't it? Volume 4 came out after the FW series ended, didn't it? I doubt Pater laird even had her as a drawing in mind back in 1987.

Yeah sure, that obviously wasn't the intention and I was just joking, it's just funny to imagine it always applies as long as it's not straight up contradicted.

Like remembering how the radioactive spider was retconned as a red herring, that it was really the Spider-God who gave Peter Parker his powers, then claiming it applies to all versions of Spider-Man. If it applies in the comics after decades of assuming otherwise, who's not to say it retroactively applies universally?

Same thing with April, intentions aside, what really hinders her from being a magic drawing in the Fred Wolf cartoon?

FredWolfLeonardo 03-06-2018 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1750184)
This thread is surprisingly entertaining. I have come to love the Channel 6 crew and their various episodic "B stories."

Me too! I normally don't like spin off ideas for tmnt that people propose such as a Casey Jones movie or a Mutanimals cartoon but I'd totally get behind a Channel Six sitcom!

It felt like its own show within the FW universe that works independently from the turtles rather than being reliant on them like other characters are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neatoman (Post 1750186)
Same thing with April, intentions aside, what really hinders her from being a magic drawing in the Fred Wolf cartoon?

Aunt Agatha would never hide such a secret from her own niece :lol:

neatoman 03-06-2018 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1750187)
Aunt Agatha would never hide such a secret from her own niece :lol:

How would she know? Who's to say she's not a drawing too?

Prowler 03-06-2018 06:09 PM

April as a drawing is just... what was Peter smoking at the time even? :lol:

Ninjinister 03-06-2018 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumac (Post 1750146)
(not literally)

Are you sure? :toops:

Original TMNT Cartoon Fan 03-07-2018 05:38 AM

Quote:

Why is this a surprise? People's jobs change, they got promoted. Irma went from a secretary to a camerawoman. Vernon went from a cameraman to his own reporter. They got raises and changed jobs in the company like people do in real life..

Wouldn't that require some years of education course first?

Prowler 03-07-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan (Post 1750239)
Wouldn't that require some years of education course first?

Yeah. It's one thing if you're a reporter and go from doing the weather report to opening the 8 o'clock news. But going from secretary to journalist? That's two different career paths.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think journalists really work as cameramen ever or vice-versa. They're two completely different jobs. The guys who work the camera and in the production van have different qualifications from journalists. In order to become a journalist you need a bachelor's degree in something like journalism or communications. I suppose that for cameramen and production related stuff they hire photographers and people with qualifications in video production and editing and such. Like I've said, not everyone who works at a news station is a journalist.

Oh well, it's just a cartoon and they probably didn't have time or bothered to create more co-workers for April. Vernon and Irma were more than enough.