The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   TMNT Comic Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Variant Cover for TMNT Vol. V, #73 (IDW) - Support my Kickstarter (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57770)

rich 04-14-2017 12:49 PM

Variant Cover for TMNT Vol. V, #73 (IDW) - Support my Kickstarter

Hi everyone. I'm planning to create a variant cover for TMNT #73 (Aug. 2017) to celebrate TMNT, Vol. V (IDW) becoming the longest-running TMNT title ever! This cover will be drawn by a Mirage-era artist and will have a limited print run. If this is something you'd be interested in, I've launched a 30-day Kickstarter campaign to get things rolling. There are multiple tiers of backing options available (starting at $10 USD) and every tier includes at least one copy of this variant cover when released. If you're a Turtles comic book collector / fan, a regular visitor to my website TMNT: A Collection (tmnt-ninjaturtles.com), or just interested in backing a cool project, head on over to Kickstarter and help me make it happen. Your support is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

http://tmnt-ninjaturtles.com/assets/...ght-768x90.png

mrmaczaps 04-14-2017 01:09 PM

Cool man. Awesome idea.

ToTheNines 04-14-2017 01:26 PM

$25 pledged!

I hope it's Jim. A variant celebrating a TMNT title become the longest-running volume can only be drawn by the most prolific TMNT artist :)

rich 04-14-2017 01:44 PM

Thanks to all for your support. 73 is exciting!

BlueBandana 04-14-2017 02:09 PM

Hey Rich, cool idea! When you say that a Mirage-era artist is drawing the cover, will you reveal who it is before the 30 days deadline?

Rat A Tat 04-14-2017 02:10 PM

I've been avoiding trying to collect REs for quite a while, but the hell with it, I'm all in for this momentous occasion! Thanks for putting it together, Rich!

rich 04-14-2017 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBandana (Post 1676753)
Hey Rich, cool idea! When you say that a Mirage-era artist is drawing the cover, will you reveal who it is before the 30 days deadline?

Good question. I don't think that I will be able to reveal the cover artist within the next 30 days. But, I will look into it and see if I can reveal the artist's name but just not the actual work itself. Stay tuned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rat A Tat (Post 1676754)
I've been avoiding trying to collect REs for quite a while, but the hell with it, I'm all in for this momentous occasion! Thanks for putting it together, Rich!

Awesome! Great to have you on board and thank you! I know that collecting all the covers (especially all the RE covers) is a lot of work and quite expensive. But, my intent is simply to create a really meaningful collectible that is affordable for all that wish to have one. I can't think of too many RE covers in the past 6 years that were only $10 (+shipping).

dripgutz24 04-14-2017 02:20 PM

First kickstarter I ever pledged 😉

DestronMirage22 04-14-2017 02:43 PM

This is a good idea, and something I'd definitely support if I could. :(

But why is IDW sometimes referred to as Vol. 5? I've seen this before on other sites and it always has me confused. :-?

ToTheNines 04-14-2017 02:47 PM

It is the 5th comic book series to be titled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", so retailers will sometimes call it volume 5 to help differentiate between the others, even though it's volume 1 of IDW's catalogue.

rich 04-14-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1676762)
This is a good idea, and something I'd definitely support if I could. :(

But why is IDW sometimes referred to as Vol. 5? I've seen this before on other sites and it always has me confused. :-?

Well, for me, back when IDW published the first issue, I had to classify this title in my database to make it unique from the others. It seemed logical that with Mirage Vol. IV being the last volume titled "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", the IDW one would be Vol. V. So, that's how it's been on my website (and in my mind). Whether or not others see it in the "canon" of the other Turtles volumes is definitely up for debate. Out of curiosity, what would you label the IDW main series as?

DestronMirage22 04-14-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 1676765)
Out of curiosity, what would you label the IDW main series as?

Whenever I refer to it, I just call it TMNT IDW. I guess alternatively it could be called IDW Vol 1.

rich 04-14-2017 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 (Post 1676766)
Whenever I refer to it, I just call it TMNT IDW. I guess alternatively it could be called IDW Vol 1.

All good ideas for sure. I think because Vol. II got actually branded as "Volume 2" back in 1993 when it came out, all the following "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" got branded in succession. The Image series just kind of became Vol. III and then, since it was already labeled Vol. III, when Mirage started publishing "TMNT" again in 2001, that became Vol. IV. Right or wrong, they've always been that way in my opinion, regardless of publisher. It's the title I'm creating the volume from.

ToTheNines 04-14-2017 05:14 PM

Wow! Funded in ~4 hours, hell yeah!

rich 04-14-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 1676785)
Wow! Funded in ~4 hours, hell yeah!

Truly wow! I'm just blown away at the response. This is fantastic. But, don't let the fact that we met the funding goal already stop you from backing if you haven't yet. There are still plenty of ways remaining to contribute (and get rewarded). I set the funding goal at the absolute minimum I'd need to get this thing to reality.

Let's keep the momentum going! Thank you everyone!

mrmaczaps 04-14-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich (Post 1676806)
Truly wow! I'm just blown away at the response. This is fantastic. But, don't let the fact that we met the funding goal already stop you from backing if you haven't yet. There are still plenty of ways remaining to contribute (and get rewarded). I set the funding goal at the absolute minimum I'd need to get this thing to reality.

Let's keep the momentum going! Thank you everyone!

I shared the link from Turtle Power Entertainment this afternoon.

Glad to see this got funded so quickly!

MrPliggins 04-14-2017 11:16 PM

Awesome project, Rich. This is a milestone issue I just can't pass up. Pledged.

Mayhem 04-15-2017 04:09 AM

Awesome! Pity I was at my girlfriend's last night during launch (and still am actually) and missed the $100 tier, might have pledged to that. Waiting to see who it might be :)

ToTheNines 04-15-2017 06:51 AM

Less than 24 hours and the goal has been doubled, so cool.

Redrumh2o 04-15-2017 08:57 AM

is 1000 still the minimum RE print run?