The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   DC Relaunching AGAIN (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54309)

ZariusTwo 01-22-2016 12:20 PM

The DC Rebirth Era Discussion Thread

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...a-filmtv-bent/

:lol:

And yeah, all of this is to create more synergy with the movie branding it seems.

Amaranthus 01-22-2016 12:21 PM

Why are comic books so complicated?

Candy Kappa 01-22-2016 12:23 PM

I'll take 70 years of canon over the continuous rebooting and relaunching, and especially the whole "nothing is canon anymore, let's make a million nr1's".

MikeandRaph87 01-22-2016 12:33 PM

I thought it was a joke and expected to see April 1st on the original post. I read DC was going to look into what series it could double up and go bi-weekly on. The mindset was the best selling titles would sell twice as much. I remember the two titles I read being among the mentioned. New number ones without a continuity reboot?

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-22-2016 12:34 PM

Oh for fvck's sake... :trolleye::tgrumble:

The Deadman 01-22-2016 01:00 PM

This is why I never got invested in comic books.

TurtleTitan97 01-22-2016 01:01 PM

So in other words, DC is pulling a Marvel? Oh joy...

Candy Kappa 01-22-2016 01:34 PM

All-New all different.

Again...

ZariusTwo 01-22-2016 01:53 PM

And the first major change as a result of this relaunch is Scott Synder is stepping down from the main Batman title, but will remain attached to the character as he is turning back to Detective Comics

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...ective-comics/

And this was just tweeted by Didio and Jim Lee

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-conte...RAWcAEl54H.jpg

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/...-just-tweeted/

Bry 01-22-2016 02:51 PM

are you kidding me

Seriously, if the New 52 didn't really pan out in the long run, can we just go back to Pre-Flashpoint already? Keep what works and restore a better universe with some decent history and depth? That seems like a better option than rebooting every 5 years.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-22-2016 04:17 PM

Scott Snyder is the ONLY writer I read in the New 52 consistently.

Birds of Prey was great while it had Starling; Nightwing and Grayson are okay; some of Detective Comics was good...

But only Snyder is amazing. Because he kept carrying on, reboot be damned.

plastroncafe 01-22-2016 04:40 PM

Friends have told me for ages to drop Marvel and read DC, and I've tried... But as soon as I find something I like they cancel it.

I felt bad during the Nu 52, because I realized they were rebooting to get people like me to read. Folks not familiar with their books. But... They just didn't speak to me.

This time, so not my fault.

CyberCubed 01-22-2016 04:42 PM

And this folks, is why I don't read comics outside of TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.

I'll stick to the cartoons. Its amazing how nowadays cartoons are much better than comics. Thank god I have my cartoon shows. :lol:

Cryomancer 01-22-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 (Post 1540599)
So in other words, DC is pulling a Marvel? Oh joy...

DC does this stuff way more often

Leo656 01-22-2016 06:44 PM

People don't get it, it didn't used to be like this. DC was great about consistency for years, they had ONE major reboot in 75 years, back in '86. Sometimes individual characters would have backstories "tidied up" or old stuff would be swept under the rug but all this recent retcon/reboot sh*t is 100% Dan DiDio and his cronies, who make every editorial decision based on Sales Panic. That guy is like the single worst thing to EVER happen to DC as an entity.

Anyone trying to get into reading DC comics would have no problem doing so if they ignored most everything before "Crisis on Infinite Earths", used that as a starting point, and just followed the company's line from 1986 through 2010. Everything between that is really not at all complicated, although a lot of stuff in the late-90s simply wasn't very good but it was still consistent and recognizable. None of the stuff they did in between like Zero Hour or Infinite Crisis really had a huge effect on any continuity, mostly just minor tweaks to things readers already knew but nothing world-breaking. And most people don't need to bother with anything pre-1986, anyway, the Silver/Bronze Age was pretty unrelentingly silly and all the best stuff is easily found in TPBs, and the rest is junk best left ignored anyway.

Point is, DC really DID have a great universe, and a great mythology, that really anyone should get into and enjoy, BUT that Universe starts at Crisis and dissolves at the end of Flashpoint. But you really can't go wrong with the 25-year run in between. They've done nothing at ALL since 2010 that I've enjoyed, but I still highly encourage anyone to check out the "real" DCU from 1986-2010. For one thing, all the cartoons everyone jerks off to borrowed 99% of their stories from the books of that era, so if nothing else it's worth it to see where those stories first came from.

The constant shift towards "It's not selling? REBOOT!" since about 2005 is all DiDio. The editors and not the writers have been steering DC the wrong way for a decade, because ALL they care about is beating Marvel in sales which means "Events, Reboots, and Mega-Deaths of Major Characters" because that's supposedly what pushes sales. DC's sales have NEVER actually supported that theory, but it's the one DiDio subscribes to and what every new direction is based on.

Comics would be more fun if they weren't now a business aimed at only at selling action figures. That's really all they are anymore. It's 100% profit-driven and not story-driven. Both companies are guilty of it, but Marvel was actually run (into the ground) by a toy company for a years and years, to the point people got used to it, and plus the writing hadn't been that company's focus in decades, anyway, they've always been more a "Superstar Artists on Big Event Books" comic company than a story-driven one. DC's line was always more story-driven, and once it became all about the Big Events that was the end. It took them so far away from what they were actually about as a company and the way they did super-hero books. Now they're literally no different from Marvel, and not in any good way.

So yeah, f*ck modern DC. If they're doing anything other than, "Just kidding about Flashpoint and the New 52, we're just pretending everything since 2009 never happened!", it's not worth the effort.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 01-22-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1540675)
Friends have told me for ages to drop Marvel and read DC, and I've tried... But as soon as I find something I like they cancel it.

I felt bad during the Nu 52, because I realized they were rebooting to get people like me to read. Folks not familiar with their books. But... They just didn't speak to me.

This time, so not my fault.

Try New 52 Birds of Prey. Starling was an amazing character I think you'd like...

CyberCubed 01-23-2016 04:25 PM

I know Batman will largely go untouched (like when New 52 launched), but they need to go back to Jason Todd being dead and Damian being gone entirely. Bringing Damian back to life and giving him super powers was the dumbest thing I've seen in some time. Two dead Robin's coming back to life, can you be more creatively bankrupt?

Go back to the Nightwing and Tim Drake scenario. As for Barbara I'm conflicted because I like her as Batgirl but wouldn't mind her being Oracle again either.

mrmaczaps 01-23-2016 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1540627)
are you kidding me

Seriously, if the New 52 didn't really pan out in the long run, can we just go back to Pre-Flashpoint already? Keep what works and restore a better universe with some decent history and depth? That seems like a better option than rebooting every 5 years.

Amen dude. The dcu prior to Flashpoint had its downside with all the dead characters they didn't want to bring back, but it was and is still leaps and bounds better than this crap they are publishing now. Crew cut Superman. BatIronMan. Green hoodlum Lantern... ugh.

Some books have worked, like Batman.... but nearly everything else I could do without.

The TV related series have all been great. Flash, Arrow and the long cancelled Smallville and a few others....

DC has become too dark and no history. Flash and no bang. It's like a drumstick that's all fat... it smells yummy but even the dog won't eat it...

tmnt transformer 01-23-2016 05:36 PM

Geez. Normally, I don't read DC comics, so I usually can care less, but seriously? I thought the new 52 was suppost to be soooooo great. Frankly, I think they should just reprint all their old issues starting with action comics #1. That way, they would have at least 75 years worth of good comics. (Same with marvel with Capt. America #1. I only collect pre 2001 marvel comics.)

TurtleTitan97 01-23-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomancer (Post 1540684)
DC does this stuff way more often

Not to the extant Marvel does.

Let's take a look over some of the "creative" decisions that have been made over Marvel thanks to the films. Nick Fury being replaced by Nick Fury Jr. who just happens to look like Samuel Jackson, Scarlett Witch and Quicksiliver no longer mutants, the sudden focus on the Inhumans, etc. See where I'm going with this?

I can't recall the last DC character whose backstory and characterization was heavily modified to match up with either their cinematic or television counterpart.