The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Custom Toys/Collectibles (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Best kind of paint to use on figures? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=57188)

LuckyLadybug 01-10-2017 03:44 AM

Best kind of paint to use on figures?

I've never tried to customize a figure in my life, but if I can ever get hold of that Mega Construx OT Baxter Stockman figure, I want two so I can repaint one's hair red to be his twin Barney (from Raphael Knocks 'Em Dead). I don't want to screw it up, so I'm wondering what the best kind of paint is to use on figures?

kaptainmyke 01-10-2017 10:49 AM

The only paint you should ever buy is Testors Model Masters Acryl paints and related thinners, paint removers, and brush cleaners. That paint is specifially thicker and made for models and plastic figures. Anything else will goop and coagulate to oblivion.

Discogod 01-10-2017 01:38 PM

Never used Testors (it's hard to come by over here), I use Games Workshop's Citadel range with the odd Tamiya colour here and there. I've been using them for customs for 15+ years now (and general model making for over 25) and they're pretty great for coverage, price etc.

As long as you use a decent quality acrylic you should be fine. Just remember, several thinner coats is always better than 1 thick coat, and to thoroughly wash the figure before painting.

Candy Kappa 01-10-2017 02:16 PM

I use Games Workshop Citadel when doing touch-ups and fixes, it's pretty effective.

Walkabout 01-13-2017 02:42 AM

I use GW/Citadel paints too.

LuckyLadybug 01-16-2017 05:22 PM

Thanks, all! Is this stuff available at Wal-Mart or do I need a specialty store?

tmntfannumerouno 01-16-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLadybug (Post 1653303)
Thanks, all! Is this stuff available at Wal-Mart or do I need a specialty store?

You can find testors at hobby lobby.

LuckyLadybug 01-30-2017 04:39 AM

Sweet! And err, any recommendations on the right type of paintbrush to use on such a small figure?

Candy Kappa 01-30-2017 08:45 AM

Games Workshop also have a good selection of brushes, some are very small for fine details on miniatures like painting the iris and the eye shine on them.

tmntfannumerouno 01-30-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyLadybug (Post 1656634)
Sweet! And err, any recommendations on the right type of paintbrush to use on such a small figure?

Hobby lobby has a variety also. I'm not sure of the brand but they have the brushes made specifically for fine detail work.

kaptainmyke 01-30-2017 10:46 AM

Use brushes with white soft bristles. No black bristles that always fall out and you get brush hairs all over your work.

Discogod 01-30-2017 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaptainmyke (Post 1656689)
Use brushes with white soft bristles. No black bristles that always fall out and you get brush hairs all over your work.

Yup. I've got a few cheap brushes that I use but my best brushes are all high quality. They were very expensive, but I take care of them and they've lasted years.

You can use the best paint in the world, but if you use sh!tty brushes then it won't matter.

LuckyLadybug 01-31-2017 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaptainmyke (Post 1656689)

Oh yeah, I remember black bristles doing that when I tried to just paint on paper with them. Ugh.

How do gold bristles hold up? I saw a set of gold ones in the size for detailing small things.

kaptainmyke 01-31-2017 10:51 AM

I prefer white. I've not seen gold or experience using gold brushes.