The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Retromutagen Ooze (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=23602)

Canadian Turtle 04-01-2008 03:56 PM

Retromutagen Ooze
 
I have recently got my hands on the recipe by Mattel (sold to Kenner and Playmates) for the ooze we all knew and loved as kids. This is the same slime the Ghost Busters, He-Man, and many more used, just in different colors.

This stuff works great!! It's not like the stuff you make from corn starch, this is the actual deal. I am looking for those little containers you could buy them in. (I'll also post in the buy sell section) if anyone has one they could part with that would be amazing!! However because this is not the buy sell section I just thought I'd see if collectors are interested in the recipe, cuz I can post it if you are. I came up with some techniques to get it just right, it's pretty cool even just to make and play with.

Jester 04-01-2008 05:24 PM

I have 2 of the new Oozes, that came in the clear TCRI looking canister. What about one of those?

Krueger 04-01-2008 08:55 PM

Yes, please post the recipe. That should be interesting to make. I'm afraid I don't have any of the old containers. I'm sure others around here do but chances are they won't let go of them. They are pretty hard to come by.

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 04-01-2008 09:35 PM

You can say that again.

Jester 04-01-2008 09:58 PM

About posting the recipe or about parting with your beloved mutagen canister?

HalfcourtGame 04-01-2008 10:47 PM

Ya they are hard to find and kinda pricey too. I paid as much for those as I would for a lot of figures. I don't have one to sell but it would be awesome if you posted the recipe.

A little *too* Raph 04-02-2008 09:59 AM

Please post the recipe. I was never allowed to have ooze as a kid (some crap about it would stain the carpet or something) so that would be awesome!

Hero 04-02-2008 10:02 AM

Post it! :D

Or at least PM it to those interested.

===HERO

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 04-02-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 599712)
About posting the recipe or about parting with your beloved mutagen canister?

The part about how they are extremely pricey. My mom wouldn't buy me ooze when I was a kid because she thought that $3.00 was too much for a can of goo. Now you can't get one for less than $20 if it's still sealed and still has the labels.

prophecy718 04-02-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_CJJ (Post 599821)
The part about how they are extremely pricey. My mom wouldn't buy me ooze when I was a kid because she thought that $3.00 was too much for a can of goo. Now you can't get one for less than $20 if it's still sealed and still has the labels.

man :lol:

i was able to get the ooze earlier this year, its sealed and everything

I will not let this go anytime soon :lol:

Jester 04-02-2008 03:25 PM

My mom wouldn't let me because it was messy...:(

HalfcourtGame 04-02-2008 08:08 PM

My mom said the same thing about it "staining the carpets"! :o And ya $20 is usually what I see them going for. I got 2 regulars and a Foot ooze sealed for a little better price last summer.

Triglyph 04-02-2008 08:30 PM

Guys...they have this thing now...its called google. ;)

http://www.chymist.com/guar%20gum%20slime.pdf

Roseangelo 04-02-2008 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triglyph (Post 600046)
Guys...they have this thing now...its called google. ;)

http://www.chymist.com/guar%20gum%20slime.pdf

Sweet; good job with the Google. :tthumbsu:

Too bad the likelihood of me tracking down all of those ingredients is virtually zero...

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 04-02-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prophecy718 (Post 599827)
man :lol:

i was able to get the ooze earlier this year, its sealed and everything

I will not let this go anytime soon :lol:

There's no amount of money you could offer me for them. I wonder how the ooze would work in the sewer spittin' turtles... :ttwisted:

Edit: I just checked Triglyph's link-- the ooze that I have (and it was sealed when I bought it) was almost like liquid water. Is that how it's supposed to be? Is the new ooze Playmates puts out made of something different?

Triglyph 04-03-2008 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_CJJ (Post 600085)
There's no amount of money you could offer me for them. I wonder how the ooze would work in the sewer spittin' turtles... :ttwisted:

Edit: I just checked Triglyph's link-- the ooze that I have (and it was sealed when I bought it) was almost like liquid water. Is that how it's supposed to be? Is the new ooze Playmates puts out made of something different?

From a toy collector perspective TMNT slime can "go bad". It shouldn't be liquidy. Its a very strange substance that is hard to describe to someone who doesn't know what its like, but it shouldn't be "liquidy". The article is pretty much what it should be, though some of their tests stike me as being for "firmer" slime...But yeah...that's basically what the stuff is. It feels like handsoap in a bubble...which I am sure won't make sense.

Krueger 04-03-2008 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roseangelo (Post 600047)
Sweet; good job with the Google. :tthumbsu:

Too bad the likelihood of me tracking down all of those ingredients is virtually zero...

You can't just take a quick stroll to your local chemistry shop?! I can get you the popsicle stick and the cup if you need... :P

I love the questions at the bottom of the sheet and after looking at the top of the sheet it looks like some dude used this for a class. I wish they would have had classes like this at my school.

A little *too* Raph 04-03-2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphsation (Post 600040)
My mom said the same thing about it "staining the carpets"! :o

I was soooo close to getting the oozer or whatever it was called where you strapped the turtle to the table... anyway, we were IN THE CHECKOUT at toys r us and some lady told my mom about the staining and she put it back on the shelf right there. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

***First of Two Latin Kings*** 04-03-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triglyph (Post 600122)
From a toy collector perspective TMNT slime can "go bad". It shouldn't be liquidy. Its a very strange substance that is hard to describe to someone who doesn't know what its like, but it shouldn't be "liquidy". The article is pretty much what it should be, though some of their tests stike me as being for "firmer" slime...But yeah...that's basically what the stuff is. It feels like handsoap in a bubble...which I am sure won't make sense.

Mine were sealed, and when I opened them the ooze was almost like water, only a little bit thicker. I'm going to put it in my sewer spittin' turtles. So it should be more like the 4kids ooze?

Patraw 04-04-2008 10:33 AM

This is cool--I always wondered how they made that stuff too. When I was a kid, I used to "experiment" with various compounds, trying to create stuff like that, but, of course, I didn't know what the heck I was doing, so I was less than successful. I took 2 1/2 years of chemistry in college, but, alas, making slime was never one of our lab experiments . . .


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.