The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Toy/Collectible Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Kickstarter: TMNT Action Figure Encyclopedia (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58465)

Dragnskull 05-16-2019 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roseangelo (Post 1800541)
Kickstarter and Amazon have your payment info, not Jay. Yeah, he probably has access to the shipping info, but that's a big meh. And if you are familiar with how Kickstarter works, the fact that he hasn't and probably won't deliver a product isn't grounds for a lawsuit.

The situation sucks, but there really isn't anything that can be done about it.


I'm no lawyer, but 99% sure this is flat out wrong

The only reason legal action is impossible atm is because he's vanished and hasn't been located yet.

when you take on investors to fund X, you are legally obligated to follow through with the agreement, if it fails then-

A. you must provide sufficient evidence that you actually tried to do what you claimed
B. not give false or misleading information
C. make every reasonable effort to hold up your end of the deal
D. be transparent about the details of the operation, where in the process you are, where issues occur, what caused the failure, etc

If you don't do these things then there ARE grounds for legal action and you will be required to prove these in court to defend yourself. KS project owners have to adhere to legal liability as it's a business agreement, funds are obtained specifically for that purpose, and there was no signing of liability release by backers.
The hardest part is that this was an internet project and as such those negatively affected are scattered across the country (globe?) and will either have to go to his town or have proper representation (i think) which could get tricky

From kickstarter's terms of use:
"The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers."

source: https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use (Last lines of section 4)

RaphaelinSTL 05-16-2019 06:49 AM

Well ... I think it’s time to do something about it?

Dragnskull 05-18-2019 01:50 AM

like I said, the first and biggest issue to deal with is actually locating him. "Jay Lawrence in Florida" and a phone number that's likely a google voice number is all that's known at the moment. There's even question if his first names actually even Jim (his profile claims both "jay" and "George")

The best chance anyone has is probably to backtrack in his previous kickstarter (the air jordan encyclopedia) and see if backers / assocaites who worked on it have any solid info on him (verified name, address, phone number, etc). It got a decent amount of traction in the shoe collecting community, I assume it's a small and tight nit group so with some digging one could probably find some solid connections through shoe enthusiast forums / subreddits / youtubes / etc

sadly I don't have the time to hunt down and send out emails/respond to all the backers and whatnot so someone else needs to lead the charge

Sobble 05-18-2019 02:32 AM

I cant wait for the day that this Kickstarter will go on kick scammers that's all I'm gonna say I guess

I Crave Pizza No More 05-18-2019 02:52 PM

I think the worst part is the lack of communication. Like, if the project imploded for whatever reason, then at least have the guts to release a statement explaining what happened and apologize. That wouldn't bring us our books or our money back, but it'd be something.

Dragnskull 05-19-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More (Post 1806606)
I think the worst part is the lack of communication. Like, if the project imploded for whatever reason, then at least have the guts to release a statement explaining what happened and apologize. That wouldn't bring us our books or our money back, but it'd be something.

Agreed. as a businessman and entrepreneur myself I know what it's like to have plans fall through. It's extremely poor form to just ghost on people especially when this much money was on the line.

it's also illegal, so...

DonnieLaForge 07-12-2019 12:52 PM

So do any of the forum members who were sorta involved in this project have any new information at all?

Dragnskull, someone posted what might be his full address in the comments on the kickstarter page recently....

Raptor86 07-14-2019 01:42 PM

No news. It's pretty clear we got scammed.

DannyBoy7783 07-26-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragnskull (Post 1806358)
The only reason legal action is impossible atm is because he's vanished and hasn't been located yet.

People in the KS have found his home address and I just found some more info on google:

"Lawrence, George Alfred was born 26 October 1981, is male, registered as No Party Affiliation, residing at 724 27Th St Nw, Winter Haven, Florida 33881. Florida voter ID number 113730343. His telephone number is 1-863-583-5343. This is the most recent information, from the Florida voter list as of 30 April 2019" (source)

We have a name, address, phone number, and date of birth. People on KS seem confident that his real first name is George, not Jay, and about the phone number. They found the address from his name and phone number and I found the above info from searching all of that online. Seems likely that this is the guy.

Andrew NDB 02-12-2020 12:35 PM

Not a peep, not a whisper about this thing?

The Deadman 02-12-2020 12:57 PM

I just realized the dude's personal information was put in the post by someone who made one post and never came back.

Andrew NDB 02-12-2020 01:19 PM

DOX and run?

The Deadman 02-12-2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew NDB (Post 1835332)
DOX and run?

Pretty much. I'm surprised nobody caught on to it.

Andrew NDB 02-13-2020 11:32 AM

But 659 backers and $43,951 and not even one update since October 2018... sheesh! :o

https://i.ibb.co/x7czH4k/ss.jpg

The Deadman 02-13-2020 06:14 PM

That's the risk you take with Kickstarter, and not to mention you don't get the money back if the goal isn't met.

Lordmylar06 02-13-2020 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Deadman (Post 1835460)
That's the risk you take with Kickstarter, and not to mention you don't get the money back if the goal isn't met.

That's not true. If the goal isn't met on Kickstarter, the project doesn't get funded at all and you won't be charged.

Andrew NDB 02-13-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordmylar06 (Post 1835513)
That's not true. If the goal isn't met on Kickstarter, the project doesn't get funded at all and you won't be charged.

Yeah, Indiegogo is the one that lets them keep things if it isn't met. But it's all in the open about that. Though I have no idea if Kickstarter has introduced other options after all these years.

I Crave Pizza No More 02-14-2020 05:05 AM

Got burned on this. First time it's ever happened. I know we'll never get our books, but I'd love to get the full story someday.

Raptor86 02-14-2020 06:39 AM

Probably issue with licensing...

MikeandRaph87 02-14-2020 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor86 (Post 1835532)
Probably issue with licensing...

That was why I held onto my money until it was more official. Just glad Forever War got the clear.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.