The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   General TMNT Discussion (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   TMNT Season 10 DVD review thread (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=38688)

CyberCubed 08-10-2012 10:08 PM

TMNT Season 10 DVD review thread
 
TMNT Season 10 DVD review thread!

http://mutantooze.org/wiki/wp-conten...MNT80s_S10.jpg

Well our childhood has finally been completed on DVD, so why not a review thread where we discuss the Season 10 episodes, the DVD set itself, and the special features Lionsgate included like the interviews and bonus episodes.

Its been a long time coming for these DVD releases, they started back in 2004 when the 2k3 series was only just entering its second season...and now we just completed them roughly 1 month before the Nick TMNT cartoon starts. So it took us an entire generation of TMNT and before ANOTHER generation of TMNT just to finish the original cartoon on DVD.

Also this release makes me kinda sad, knowing that after this the entire original series is now over...for a second time. Almost the same feeling I had when I first discovered the cartoon was ending back in 1996/1997.

Anyhow, for those who got their copy early, any thoughts?

Leonardo87 08-10-2012 11:02 PM

Why do you keep posting things that are already being talked about and yet; most if not all is made by the same thing from you. Just stay with one thread..:trolleye:

CyberCubed 08-10-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo87 (Post 982278)
Why do you keep posting things that are already being talked about and yet; most if not all is made by the same thing from you. Just stay with one thread..:trolleye:

What are you talking about? This is a DVD review thread, those other threads were news threads announcing release dates.

Some people haven't watched the episodes in a long time (if ever), and might want to post about them.

Powder 08-11-2012 01:58 AM

Holy sh- I hadn't realized this was out already. I MUST GO TO THE STORE TOMORROW.

Edit: Whoops, nevermind. I see some just managed to get it early. Couldn't hurt to give a shop or two a call though, I guess.

Jester 08-11-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 982311)
Holy sh- I hadn't realized this was out already. I MUST GO TO THE STORE TOMORROW.

Not sure if sarcastic...but you might wait until Tuesday. :P

ZariusTwo 08-11-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 982280)
What are you talking about? This is a DVD review thread, those other threads were news threads announcing release dates

I've been on plenty of fourms where the news threads have also been used for reviews (like the Power Rangers Shout! Factory releases on Rangerboard), so there's no excuse for your spamming.

CyberCubed 08-11-2012 08:09 AM

The news thread will die and get buried. Its interesting that some people have early releases already. I wonder what the interviews were about and with who.

oldmanwinters 08-11-2012 08:16 AM

I know I'm sure looking forward to Tuesday. I think it's about time I used my Target giftcard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 982258)
Also this release makes me kinda sad, knowing that after this the entire original series is now over...for a second time. Almost the same feeling I had when I first discovered the cartoon was ending back in 1996/1997.

Anyhow, for those who got their copy early, any thoughts?

Don't get disheartened, CC, you can always start threads complaining about how we haven't yet gotten the Turtle Tips on DVD. :twink:

CyberCubed 08-11-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 982373)
Don't get disheartened, CC, you can always start threads complaining about how we haven't yet gotten the Turtle Tips on DVD. :twink:

Better yet, I'd like to see someone compile the best quality version of the Turtle Tips, post them online somewhere and allow fans to download them. Since they aren't full episodes but clips hopefully Lionsgate won't take them down.

oldmanwinters 08-11-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 982258)
Its been a long time coming for these DVD releases, they started back in 2004 when the 2k3 series was only just entering its second season...and now we just completed them roughly 1 month before the Nick TMNT cartoon starts. So it took us an entire generation of TMNT and before ANOTHER generation of TMNT just to finish the original cartoon on DVD.

It is remarkable to think that we've seen the 2nd major era of TMNT animation come and go since Lionsgate started releasing these DVDs. Back in 2004, I honestly thought the first season release might be the only one they would release. I seem to remember that their original plan was to release The Epic Begins rather than the first 5 episodes until David Wise contacted them and advised them against such a stunt.

We've also seen Lionsgate release some incredibly cheap cover art.
They used rip-off 4Kids stock art on volumes 2, 3, 4, 6, Season 5, and Season 8.
(They even used the same Donatello image on three different covers and the same Raphael on Volumes 5 and Season 4.)
On the Season 7 set they started ripping off the 2007 movie poses.

I once thought that they were waiting so long to release Seasons 9 and 10 because they were awaiting Nick to release some new TMNT stock art for them to rip off on future DVD covers.

CyberCubed 08-11-2012 10:44 AM

Yes there was always the fear that they would stop somewhere in the middle. Also after the Season 8 DVD came in 2009 we had to wait almost 2 years till 2011 for Season 9. At the time it didn't seem like the last two seasons would ever come.

I really wonder how the DVDs have been selling. Obviously decent enough for Lionsgate to still make a profit off them.

gobo 08-11-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 982374)
Better yet, I'd like to see someone compile the best quality version of the Turtle Tips, post them online somewhere and allow fans to download them. Since they aren't full episodes but clips hopefully Lionsgate won't take them down.

What's stopping you from doing that yourself?

CyberCubed 08-11-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobo (Post 982456)
What's stopping you from doing that yourself?

I don't have the Turtle Tip shorts.

gobo 08-11-2012 12:52 PM

Go find them.

LeoNerdo 08-11-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 982375)
We've also seen Lionsgate release some incredibly cheap cover art.
They used rip-off 4Kids stock art on volumes 2, 3, 4, 6, Season 5, and Season 8.
(They even used the same Donatello image on three different covers and the same Raphael on Volumes 5 and Season 4.)
On the Season 7 set they started ripping off the 2007 movie poses.

I once thought that they were waiting so long to release Seasons 9 and 10 because they were awaiting Nick to release some new TMNT stock art for them to rip off on future DVD covers.

:lol:
This decision by Lionsgate was all the more baffling to me because the initial Season 1 dvd had great cover art that actually reflected the way the turtles came to be recognized from the show. I'm not sure where that art came from, but it reminded me a lot of the old VHS covers. I remember I just happened to see it at Walmart one day shortly after its release and grabbed it immediately in disbelief. I was 16 or 17 at the time and didn't really care to buy or keep up with dvd releases back then. But from then on I've kept tabs on when new volumes/seasons were released and got all the subsequent releases on or around release day.

Anyways, just got my shipping notice on Season 10 from amazon. I'll have my copy Monday or Tues.

CyberCubed 08-11-2012 06:03 PM

Lionsgate probably doesn't have the rights to use the art from the old covers.

prophecy718 08-12-2012 06:53 AM

this guy has had it for a week now.His review


CyberCubed 08-12-2012 11:11 PM

I am more excited to simply have this DVD then watch it for the time being...I watched all the actual episode online only a few months ago. I guess seeing them in better quality would be fine though.

SS_Turtle 08-13-2012 03:45 PM

I stopped buying these at volume 4, kept hoping they would release a complete box set.
I kind of hope they still do.....

Killer Moth 08-13-2012 04:15 PM

Personally speaking, I'm torn between getting the Seasons 5-6 sets, this month, or maybe drop one and get 10, instead. I'm leaning toward the former, as 10 is the latest one, so I don't feel guilty about putting it off, vs. a earlier release. Besides, I'm insanely curious about Seasons 5-6, anyway.

Decisions, decisions, but this dilemma I admit I like.

ToTheNines 08-13-2012 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this in the mail just before work. Suck it.

Jester 08-13-2012 04:44 PM


Fixed.

TheCanadiandrome 08-13-2012 05:31 PM

man i can't wait to own this

LeoNerdo 08-13-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToTheNines (Post 983348)
Got this in the mail just before work. Suck it.

You can get rid of those Turtles' Awesome Easter & Planet of the Turtleoids VHS' now. :trazz:

ToTheNines 08-14-2012 05:39 AM

I just finished Planet of the Turtleoids, great to watch that one on DVD after all these years.

Currently watching the artist interviews. First dude was boring, second dude (Scarzo) is an idiot, we'll see how the third goes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoNerdo (Post 983375)
You can get rid of those Turtles' Awesome Easter & Planet of the Turtleoids VHS' now. :trazz:

Haha, yep. They're gone. Only bummer is that their absence on my shelf has left a hefty blank spot... oh well, makes me want the Nicktoon on DVD even more lol.

pannoni1 08-14-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoNerdo (Post 983375)
You can get rid of those Turtles' Awesome Easter & Planet of the Turtleoids VHS' now. :trazz:

There goes the value of those two releases on VHS, with the possible exception if its still factory sealed. I voted for the "its good" option. Thanks to our efforts, we got the missing episodes, and even if the artist interviews aren't the best, provide the first bonus features since Season 7. Now that today is release day, I hope my copy I pre-ordered on eBay comes soon.

I would never throw away those VHS tapes (unless if its missing its cover), as they have a nice sentimental value to them as they were the very first releases of those episodes onto video. The cool artwork and descriptions on the back are just too good to pass up. If you see a sealed VHS tape especially, purchase it if its less than about $3, and if you see a VHS tape with its cover, purchase if $1 or less. DVDs and streaming have lost its purpose, but in case you're nostalgic and want to pop in a VHS tape instead of watching that episode on DVD, go for those tapes.

CyberCubed 08-14-2012 05:33 PM

I only wish the Tirtle Tip shorts were included but otherwise it gets a 9/10 release from me.

Desslok 08-14-2012 07:51 PM

So much satisfaction in finally completing a collection that started almost a decade ago... :tgrin:

The episodes look pretty good, and even though it is weird to have those missed episodes here with the final seasons, it offers an interesting chance to see just how diverse the show looked over the years. With the episodes included, you can quickly and easily compare all 3 of the show's opening sequences, and you can compare the three main art styles of the show. With the season 10 stuff of course you get the "Red Sky" look, with "Planet of the Turtleoids" you get the standard look of the show, and "Once Upon a Time Machine" is one of those random over-top-cartoony ones. Sort of like you get one last big sweep of the entire show here at the end, very fitting actually.

And I've just got to say that I forgot how funny "Once Upon a Time Machine" was. I can just imagine the recording session when they were doing the "Old-Age Mutant Ninja Turtles." :lol:

Ioz 08-14-2012 08:04 PM

I picked it up for $7.99 at Target. I'm glad to finally have the complete series on DVD.

Storm Eagle 08-14-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ioz (Post 983953)
I picked it up for $7.99 at Target. I'm glad to finally have the complete series on DVD.

They had it for $7.99? Dang and I thought I had it made when I got it at Best Buy for $9.99.

Leo656 08-15-2012 03:20 AM

Planning on getting it before work tomorrow. So glad we finally have the entire, complete series on DVD (Turtle Tips notwithstanding, though maybe someday), but my biggest complaint still stands: WHY did it take SO LONG?!

GodzFire 08-15-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo656 (Post 984125)
Planning on getting it before work tomorrow. So glad we finally have the entire, complete series on DVD (Turtle Tips notwithstanding, though maybe someday), but my biggest complaint still stands: WHY did it take SO LONG?!

Really? My biggest was: Why is the video quality no better than a VHS tape?

The Moose 08-15-2012 09:26 PM

I'm so glad to finally have season 10 with the missing episodes on DVD. It's a relief to have it in hand.

CyberCubed 08-15-2012 10:13 PM

The 3 Artist interviews were pretty boring and didn't reveal anything interesting.

I wish they interviewed David Wise.

TheCanadiandrome 08-17-2012 03:25 PM

i love it! watched it all last night! mega 10/10!!!

LeoNerdo 08-17-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 984444)
The 3 Artist interviews were pretty boring and didn't reveal anything interesting.

I wish they interviewed David Wise.

At least we got a bit of him interviewed on the Season 7 extras.

Leo656 08-18-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodzFire (Post 984270)
Really? My biggest was: Why is the video quality no better than a VHS tape?

Same answer for both. They don't give half as many f*cks as WE do. :P

AK_Mikey_Fan 08-18-2012 06:58 PM

Just got my set last night. :) I'm just happy all the episodes have been finally released! They just need to release the 2003 series properly and we'll all be happy

Digital Ghost 08-18-2012 07:26 PM

So glad I picked this up. :tgrin:

veemonjosh 08-18-2012 08:17 PM

So, here's a question I'm surprised that no one has asked (and if someone has, forgive me).

On the Season 1 DVD way back, the bonus episodes that came from Season 10 had the "CBS Action Zone" pre-intro intact. Does this release still have those, or are they missing (like they should be)?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.