The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Marvel Announce Gwenpool Ongoing (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54034)

ZariusTwo 12-22-2015 11:28 AM

Marvel Announce Gwenpool Ongoing
 
http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-conte...ol-600x926.jpg

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/...ngoing-series/


https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...353aadd30f.jpg

Bry 12-22-2015 12:44 PM

I mean, Marvel's trying to cash in on a trend, I get that. And honestly, I've really enjoyed Spider-Gwen and the Gwenpool Holiday Special was a lot of fun, so the quality is there. But I have a feeling that pushing multiple Gwen-ized characters into ongoing series is going to speed up the trend's demise.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-22-2015 12:59 PM

What the frak. That was my reaction. This looks bizarre, moving on.

Candy Kappa 12-22-2015 01:18 PM

Looks like a lot of fun.

Powder 12-22-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1530524)

Sums it up for me.

Bry 12-22-2015 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1530548)
Looks like a lot of fun.

If it's anything like the shorts and the special so far, it will be. And it's the same creative team, so!

I mean, even if it's all stemming from a cutesy cosplay-friendly mash-up design, it is a fairly clever concept (she's a comics fan originally from "our" world, giving her a fun perspective and reason for the Deadpool-esque fourth-wall breakage) that's aimed at a market that a lot of comics still don't do much for, so that's all good in my books.

I do worry that they're going to overdo the attempts to monetize every variant cover that gets a reaction online and kill their natural appeal, though. But, y'know... it's not like comics has a history of running natural trends into the ground for an immediate cash-in. And I'd rather see this than a 14th Avengers title at this point. :P

Not really sure where the anger about this is coming from, personally.

CyberCubed 12-22-2015 06:49 PM

Its times like this I wish Marvel comics all crashed and burned. Before the Disney buy out weren't they on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? It was essentially the movies and Disney that saved them.

PangolinFeets 12-22-2015 07:13 PM

Gwenpool is pretty fun so far. She isn't even Gwen Stacy.

ZariusTwo 12-23-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1530607)
Not really sure where the anger about this is coming from, personally.

Because Marvel's obsession with over saturating the market with wacky/zany titles is annoying and the books really aren't as good as people think. F*ck "fun", it's just an excuse to have characters quip memes that get posted on Tumblr obsessively by the gullible clickbait SJW sheep they pander to.

Bry 12-23-2015 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1530671)
Because Marvel's obsession with over saturating the market with wacky/zany titles is annoying and the books really aren't as good as people think.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/TtIPZbl7pj7cA/giphy.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZariusTwo (Post 1530671)
F*ck "fun", it's just an excuse to have characters quip memes that get posted on Tumblr obsessively by the gullible clickbait SJW sheep they pander to.

So it's "f**k every media product not made with my specific tastes in mind," then? :P

Do you get this bitterly angry every time this sort of thing happens? Because I've gotta tell you, that just sounds exhausting.

If you really want to get angry at Marvel oversaturating the market or making damaging moves, get angry about 47 different Avengers titles, them smothering the X-Men and the Fantastic Four to death over a petty rights dispute, or endless crossover events that constantly disrupt their entire line. The beauty of these books is that they're very self-contained, so if you don't like them you can easily ignore them.

ZariusTwo 12-23-2015 11:42 AM

I just finished another piece of wacky/zany thrash out today, Hellcat. These things are so interchangeable, they're not distinct, unique, compelling, they're all designed to tickle funny bones of easily pleased plebs. Enough already, stop with the self-deprecation, start handling these characters with more care.

plastroncafe 12-23-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bry (Post 1530607)
Not really sure where the anger about this is coming from, personally.

Butthurt fanboys are upset that comics are catering to a special interest group that isn't them.

They're so cute when they're stroppy.

Bry 12-23-2015 01:09 PM

"F**k 'fun'" is the best laugh I've had all week. :lol:

I remember the '90s, when like 85% of comics were pathetically desperate attempts to be "hardcore" and "edgy" with anti-heroes named BloodKill DeathShot. Those were some dark days filled with truly terrible comics. Stuff like Gwenpool is a freakin' godsend by comparison.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-23-2015 01:24 PM

I dunno, I tend to agree with ZariusTwo.

There are far too many comics just taking up pagecount but not telling any stories of hard value or lasting impact. Even Deadpool and Harley Quinn, these series are just kinda... bubblegum. Fine for you guys, hope you enjoy. I just wish there were more books from DC and Marvel with gravitas.

But hey, there's always Rat Queens and Saga. :tgrin:

plastroncafe 12-23-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1530767)
I dunno, I tend to agree with ZariusTwo.

There are far too many comics just taking up pagecount but not telling any stories of hard value or lasting impact. Even Deadpool and Harley Quinn, these series are just kinda... bubblegum. Fine for you guys, hope you enjoy. I just wish there were more books from DC and Marvel with gravitas.

But hey, there's always Rat Queens and Saga. :tgrin:

While I appreciate your taste in other comics, I can't help but be boggled by the rest of your commentary.

You have what you like from the Big Two, and your complaint is that there isn't more of what you like. And that anything that isn't what you like is "taking up pagecount." ie: a waste of space.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-23-2015 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1530768)
While I appreciate your taste in other comics, I can't help but be boggled by the rest of your commentary.

You have what you like from the Big Two, and your complaint is that there isn't more of what you like. And that anything that isn't what you like is "taking up pagecount." ie: a waste of space.

That's a fair criticism, but what I'm trying to communicate is that it seems there is more and more filler and less and less story. Not that what I particularly want is right, but that the industry itself (at least as far as the Big 2 go) is continuing to shift towards filler leading up to crossover that goes back to filler that goes to crossover.

Whether it's the zaniness of Deadpool (which is being imitated more and more) or the pointless Bay-style writing of Scott Lobdell, it seems like DC and Marvel are just coasting on the former memorable stories of their longest held IPs.

I mean, hell. They're doing Civil War 2. Cap punches Iron Man--except this time it's Falcon. :trazz:

ToTheNines 12-23-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberCubed (Post 1530611)
Its times like this I wish Marvel comics all crashed and burned. Before the Disney buy out weren't they on the verge of declaring bankruptcy? It was essentially the movies and Disney that saved them.

You don't even read comics dick head.

I haven't followed Secret Wars or anything since then, but before the reboot they had many awesome books. Punisher, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Ant-Man and Spider Woman (#5 through #10 at least) were all fantastic, some of them will go down as definitive volumes for their titular hero. And those were just the ones that I've had time to read.

Any ways, I don't care if Marvel wants to make whacky funnybooks or continue their whole Gwen Stacy... thing.

plastroncafe 12-23-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy (Post 1530769)
That's a fair criticism, but what I'm trying to communicate is that it seems there is more and more filler and less and less story. Not that what I particularly want is right, but that the industry itself (at least as far as the Big 2 go) is continuing to shift towards filler leading up to crossover that goes back to filler that goes to crossover.

Whether it's the zaniness of Deadpool (which is being imitated more and more) or the pointless Bay-style writing of Scott Lobdell, it seems like DC and Marvel are just coasting on the former memorable stories of their longest held IPs.

I mean, hell. They're doing Civil War 2. Cap punches Iron Man--except this time it's Falcon. :trazz:

Aaah. Got'cha.
I can imagine that would be frustrating for someone invested in the larger Marvel Universe. I'm just not one of those people. I've only ever been an X-person, and the last Great Big X-over I followed religiously was Age of Apocalypse.

These days I prefer to keep to the smaller titles, because I don't have the energy to follow the big events. So this Gwenpool thing is right up my alley.

Especially seeing as I prefer my Marvel Universe to either be bubblegum or so Dark and Gritty it borders on parody.

MsMarvelDuckie 12-23-2015 02:26 PM

I agree, CKD. One of the biggest issues that has turned me off of comics in the last few years is the amount of pointless, uninspired drivel that passes for storytelling these days. Not to mention all the gimmicky new "characters" riding the coattails of long-time characters with actual backtories and memorable villains. But the past decade has given us Spider-Gwen and villains like Paper Doll, Overdrive, and a Parkour-using petty crook looking for internet fame. Seriously?! THIS is the best they can do??!! Instead of GOOD Spidey, FF or Avenger stories, they come up with this tripe.

CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy 12-23-2015 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie (Post 1530780)
I agree, CKD. One of the biggest issues that has turned me off of comics in the last few years is the amount of pointless, uninspired drivel that passes for storytelling these days. Not to mention all the gimmicky new "characters" riding the coattails of long-time characters with actual backtories and memorable villains. But the past decade has given us Spider-Gwen and villains like Paper Doll, Overdrive, and a Parkour-using petty crook looking for internet fame. Seriously?! THIS is the best they can do??!! Instead of GOOD Spidey, FF or Avenger stories, they come up with this tripe.

I feel the same way. Except for a few outliers (main examples being Snyder's "Batman" and Tomasi's "Batman and Robin"), it feels like the comic industry of the big two is no longer fresh and original. Instead of pizza cooked in a brick oven (or sometimes just a cheesy Pizza Hut buffet), it's now reheated Red Baron.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plastroncafe (Post 1530777)
Aaah. Got'cha.
I can imagine that would be frustrating for someone invested in the larger Marvel Universe. I'm just not one of those people. I've only ever been an X-person, and the last Great Big X-over I followed religiously was Age of Apocalypse.

These days I prefer to keep to the smaller titles, because I don't have the energy to follow the big events. So this Gwenpool thing is right up my alley.

Especially seeing as I prefer my Marvel Universe to either be bubblegum or so Dark and Gritty it borders on parody.

It seems to me it would be very difficult to follow any Marvel titles that don't find themselves involved in the Great Big X-Overs. But my sample pool is quite limited, I'll readily admit. Haven't been able to find any "Guardians of the Galaxy" TPBs yet, so I'm still pretty exclusive to Batman. I should try X-Men comics, though... except for X-Force, I've pretty much stayed clear of it.

So what smaller titles do you follow?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.