The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Books, Comics, and Other Literature (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Professional Comic Book Writers Secret Facebook Campaign To Harass Conservative Fan (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58794)

ZariusTwo 09-22-2017 01:16 PM

Professional Comic Book Writers Secret Facebook Campaign To Harass Conservative Fan
 
The ongoing social media warfare between comic professionals and Youtube personality Diversity and Comics reaches criminal new lows

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/0...conservatives/

ProphetofGanja 09-22-2017 01:43 PM

Wow I have a very different take on that whole chain of events

snake 09-22-2017 01:58 PM

God, I love Diversity and Comics. Watching these balding, bespectacled cucks get pissed off makes me hard.

oldmanwinters 09-22-2017 02:05 PM

I'm thinking I might actually drop the "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call Again" mini-series from my pull-list on account of Kelly Thompson's involvement. Do we know which comics personalities were actually encouraging people to goad a conservative fan into violence?

TurtleWA 09-22-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1716660)
I'm thinking I might actually drop the "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call Again" mini-series from my pull-list on account of Kelly Thompson's involvement. Do we know which comics personalities were actually encouraging people to goad a conservative fan into violence?

If you follow the link and look towards the bottom of the article a screen grab is posted of some conversation. I googled the last two names that talked about violence. Never heard of them. Taylor Esposito & B. Clay Moore

ZariusTwo 09-22-2017 02:23 PM

Even though she admits to never having experiences with violent fans at conventions, I was dismayed to see Joadie Houser (Faith) in that chat...she's due to take over the Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows book in November

Candy Kappa 09-22-2017 02:23 PM

Meyer, who? Well that article was a trudge to read.

Vegita-San 09-22-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldmanwinters (Post 1716660)
I'm thinking I might actually drop the "Ghostbusters: Answer the Call Again" mini-series from my pull-list on account of Kelly Thompson's involvement. Do we know which comics personalities were actually encouraging people to goad a conservative fan into violence?

A member of the ghostbuster community who doesn't like people who have opinions different from their own? color me shocked :/....many a strange conversation gotten into with GB talent ever since Feigbusters hit the screen. formerly normal people went ape crap trying to defend it to the point of being nonsensical that I had to stop talking to them, because it was no longer healthy..

'Normal comic pros have been chased away and it is now a weird club for people with personality disorders'

Interesting way to describe things. especially considering even the audience who these comics are supposed to be targeting apparently HATE the new changes just because they seemed forced. one african american guy on youtube from England ripped apart the new black female iron man, and i can't say I disagree with him.


Sooner or later, the industry will realize you can't cater to the social justice warrior crowd. and if you do, and succumb to that hateful culture, you will loose your intended audience fast.

Cure 09-22-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Kappa (Post 1716665)
Meyer, who? Well that article was a trudge to read.

Did the page keep jumping around for you?

Andrew NDB 09-22-2017 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1716703)
'Normal comic pros have been chased away and it is now a weird club for people with personality disorders'

At the Big Two it doesn't seem like that's too far off the mark. Or crops of worksman-like puppet writers.

The Deadman 09-22-2017 04:21 PM

And the sad thing is they're allowed to do it with today's society as screwed up as it is.

Powder 09-22-2017 04:27 PM

Can't say this is a surprise whatsoever.

sdp 09-22-2017 04:58 PM

That article was a mess to read but I ended up looking up the stuff elsewhere to get a better understanding and it seems both sides are trying to play victim

I did :lol: at this from that article though:
Quote:

Meyer is just shy of 40,000 subscribers. He has more viewers than "The Avengers" comic book had readers in August.
Comics are a dying industry and it's only going to be come more niche as time passes, pandering to SJWs is just a way of them trying something different to see if it helps and it's likely costing them many more fans but it's not the sole reason the comics aren't selling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snake (Post 1716658)
God, I love Diversity and Comics.

I do too, but that's not what current comics are doing, they're pandering to a crowd that doesn't even buy comics and the expense of their characters.

Vegita-San 09-22-2017 05:49 PM

TV is faulty at this too...

and the few times it DOES work, is because the actor they choose, and team they choose knows what they are doing, and gets the characters. I.e. Joe West.

of course, Hollywood doesn't understand that, and thinks 'See, it's because we did this and that and changed this. we are BRILLIANT! lets do it again for the same result!'

sigh.


--never heard of d ivirsity in comics before this, but I do enjoy mundane matt on occasion. found him during feigbusters as one of the rare people willing to tell the truth.

Sumac 09-22-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegita-San (Post 1716703)
Sooner or later, the industry will realize you can't cater to the social justice warrior crowd. and if you do, and succumb to that hateful culture, you will loose your intended audience fast.

Hateful? More like ignorant and stupid.

They fight for the good cause, but in a way that makes them look like a hypocrites and their goals like a laughing stock and completely compromises them and their ideals.
A sad situation really, considering that it's all leading to rise of idiotic conservative "values" and true "Facshits".

ZariusTwo 09-23-2017 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1716731)
I do too

He was referring to the Youtuber

Spike Spiegel 09-23-2017 08:29 AM

Sh*t like this is why I haven't bought a monthly comic from Marvel in a long time. "The Bullpen" seems to be a rather toxic place as of late.

And these people are supposed to be adult professionals. :trolleye:

Their egos are just as weak as those of the so-called "neckbeards" that they crusade against.

Papenbrook 09-23-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel (Post 1716966)
Sh*t like this is why I haven't bought a monthly comic from Marvel in a long time. "The Bullpen" seems to be a rather toxic place as of late.

And these people are supposed to be adult professionals. :trolleye:

Their egos are just as weak as those of the so-called "neckbeards" that they crusade against.

Yeah. It's sad that they're are people who act like this. You want to expect better from them, but then they end up proving you wrong.

It's frustratingly typical, though.

plastroncafe 09-23-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja (Post 1716653)
Wow I have a very different take on that whole chain of events

It's like a whole different looking Glass.

Galactus 09-23-2017 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdp (Post 1716731)
Comics are a dying industry and it's only going to be come more niche as time passes, pandering to SJWs is just a way of them trying something different to see if it helps and it's likely costing them many more fans but it's not the sole reason the comics aren't selling.

I do too, but that's not what current comics are doing, they're pandering to a crowd that doesn't even buy comics and the expense of their characters.

I find comments like these kinda ironic. I tend to avoid youtube idiots who burn copies of Moon Girl or flush copies of Ms Marvel down the toilet but when I have bothered to watch these "reviewers" specifically Diversity and Comics at least half the comments are from people who say they don't read comics but want a good rant about leftists, SJWs, social marxists with the liberal conspiracies.

The assumption that comic fans largely don't want diversity is ridiculous. There has long been an audience that have quietly begged the big two for more diversity and specific groups asking for better representation in the medium.

While it would be nice to think that the big twos push for greater diversity is finally acting upon that Marvel in particular do it because lots of people are buying. Think back to Miles Morales who had the non-comic book reading political right pundits ranting how it was political correctness run amok but it was a huge critical and commercial hit, then came Kamala Khan who likewise had pretty big backlash and yet the character proved to be be big hit followed by Jane Foster becoming the new Thor and outselling the previous volume of Thor starring the male version of the character which itself was a high seller. It wouldn't take a genius to see a pattern for success and make it a model.

And yeah Marvel's diversity push has had a few more big successes, a few flops and most have kinda landed in the middle. You could argue that they they went too far but by trial and error a medium which has long struggled for breakout characters and concepts past the silver age has a number of them which will prove way more valuable when they start being featured in cartoons, movies and merchandising.

In terms of publishing these characters are very valuable because they sell well digitally and/or via trade which is pretty much the future of comic books. Apparently a low selling order Scholastic beats most high selling to comic book stores baring out claims that Marvel makes more money from comics now than they've made in decades.

Putting aside the not insignificant number of people that have a problem with diversity characters out of legitimate bigotry I think this is a problem for "bread and butter" fans who sense they are being pushed out for a more desirable market. This has long been a problem for them, since the rise of super hero movies there's been a lot of sneering whenever the big two try and even slightly market their comics to audience that enjoy the movies now they are getting upset because Marvel is putting some focus on what is working in other markets.

I'd feel some sympathy for them but often the legacy characters that have been replaced haven't sold well in a while anyway. It's like child who isn't playing with a toy but doesn't want anyone else playing with it either.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.