The Technodrome Forums

The Technodrome Forums (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/index.php)
-   Everything Else (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science? (http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=58810)

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 06:42 PM

Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science?

I have just recently started thinking about this question. I still haven't arrived on an answer. What are your thought?

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 06:54 PM

Yes, there are plenty of limits.

Humans can't create or destroy matter, only change it into a different form.

Can't create immaterial entities like our minds. No Artificial intelligence has free will and is purely physical.

Basically we cannot defy the laws of physics and/or use technology and science to do something illogical like create a square circle.

And most of all, no amount of technology and science can't give us a meaningful and fufilling life. People vainly look for purpose in science when there is none.

Hope you find the answer :)

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 07:00 PM

In the present we can always find limitations. But with enough time could anything be possibly? I think 3D printing advances with food is a stepping stone to actual food replicators. And I've seen news stories about Science working on transporters.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717499)
In the present we can always find limitations. But with enough time could anything be possibly? I think 3D printing advances with food is a stepping stone to actual food replicators. And I've seen news stories about Science working on transporters.

Under current science, I am absolutely sure that not Everything will be possible like creating matter and minds etc.

The moment people can do that, science will have to adjust radically as it is not absolute truth by definition and always changing.

The one key thing to Remember is that no matter how accurate it is, science is always a model of a natural phenomena, not the phenomena itself.

So does the method, model and body of knowledge we collectively and currently know as "science" ever be able to do something that is outside of its realm? Absolutely not but we might call to choose a potential new method "science", if we find that it can do things that current science cannot.

Powder 09-24-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Is there a limit to what humans can create through technology and science?
Peace on earth. :tlol:

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1717509)

Good one :lol:

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717506)
Under current science, I am absolutely sure that not Everything will be possible like creating matter and minds etc.

Not certain what you mean but when I google creating matter articles show up stating science can turn light into matter.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurtleWA (Post 1717512)
Not certain what you mean but when I google creating matter articles show up stating science can turn light into matter.

The Law of Conservation in science states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Light is energy, it can theoretically be converted to matter, but it you need to have pre existing light to do so, and can't create Matter out of nothing.

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powder (Post 1717509)

You raise a good question. Is war (or human conflict) inevitable? Seems like that could be a completely new thread.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717519)
The Law of Conservation in science states that energy/matter cannot be created or destroyed, only converted.

Light is energy, it can theoretically be converted to matter, but it you need to have pre existing light to do so, and can't create Matter out of nothing.

Oh.

FredWolfLeonardo 09-24-2017 07:59 PM

I guess science also can't prevent people from making the ever present political threads on the drome :lol:

Papenbrook 09-24-2017 08:05 PM

I don't think humans can ever get close to creating a shrink ray.

I also think that 4D technology is impossible to build.

TurtleWA 09-24-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo (Post 1717521)
I guess science also can't prevent people from making the ever present political threads on the drome :lol:

Or posts quickly politicizing an innocent thread meant to be no more than fun talk about lasers and teleportation. It will eventually happen. :)

Wildcat 09-25-2017 12:27 AM

I think technology can evolve to do almost anything. It just takes a long time for it to get better. So I believe teleportation will be possible eventually.

I think we probably have a small understanding of how powerful technology could be.

People think we live in a really high tech world but if you look at everything around us a lot of things are still, at basics, the same as they were 80-100 years ago. They've just gotten smaller and more efficent.

Like cars operate much better but are still just 4 wheels on a platform and an engine. Laptops/PCs are smaller and faster but there's nothing revolutionary about the machines themselves without the internet.

Things we see in movies have only recently become possible like sophisticated AI, virtual reality and 3D printing but they're all still in their infancy.

Medicine is one of the things that's probably improved the best since most illness or injury can be treated and surgery is not medieval trial and error.

Andrew NDB 09-25-2017 12:33 AM

I believe that on the current trajectory, any kind of "cool!" technology, even anything of a meaningful spacefaring sort, will not see the light of day before all resources have to be poured into solving the problems we're allowing to proliferate now.

Utrommaniac 09-25-2017 12:39 AM

Transferring images from the mind to paper/computer...as much as I wish it.

Prowler 09-25-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Utrommaniac (Post 1717577)
Transferring images from the mind to paper/computer...as much as I wish it.

Even I'd become an artist if that as possible :lol:

Spike Spiegel 09-25-2017 09:41 AM

I used to think teleportation would be cool...and then I saw the 1986 remake of The Fly.

Whatever achievements we might make with technology are limited by our capacity to use those devices safely and ethically.

For instance, with how motorists text and drive today, would you want to see those same people piloting hovercrafts or flying cars?

ProphetofGanja 09-25-2017 09:53 AM

Yes, there are limits, but those limits lie very far from our current capabilities.

Splinter the boss 09-25-2017 03:41 PM

Everything has limits. There is a place science just cannot reach.

Andrew NDB 09-25-2017 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter the boss (Post 1717708)
Everything has limits. There is a place science just cannot reach.

How do you know this?