View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #31
DevilSpooky
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
It would be a "hit" in a niche market of aging gamers. It wouldn't move the needle in the way a new modern console installment would meaningfully, not even remotely.

Where are the numbers? These retro hipster "I'm in my 30s or 40s and I miss when games were 8 bit and side-scrolling" games are cornering a niche market. They're super cheap to make so any of them being a "hit" is a relative term with them. There's no way, say, "Mega Man 10" is doing the latest "Assassin's Creed" numbers, or anything. There is 0 appeal to anyone outside of our approximate generation.
And there you go again, seriously, if you have no idea what you're talking about then just don't, or at least try to educate yourself before you do it.

Just go look at the best selling games on XBOX Live/Steam/PSN, most of the weeks it's a retro/retro style game as the top seller, like I said the Crash Trilogy has been number one ever since it came out, Sonic Mania is selling really well and it's the best rated Sonic game in 15 years. And Mega Man 10 just sucks, no one wants that, and FYI, not doing crazy numbers doesn't = flop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
My personal thinking is that as graphics and gaming technology has gotten to a point where it's all so intensive, there is soooo many people involved, it's taking longer and longer to offer new installments at a reasonable pace more and more as time goes on.

I mean, sh*t. 7 years between Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy XV? 7 years between Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Odyssey? 10 years between Metroid Prime 3 and 4? It's been over 3 years since the last CastleVania game, and no new game is on the horizon? This is insanity.

When I was a kid it was like 1-2 years tops between games and that felt like forever. I don't know how young/new gamers are able to get hooked into any of this anymore.
Really?

There has been 7 brand new Mario games since Galaxy (not counting non platform ones) including Galaxy 2.

FF XIV got trough a revamp that made it a brand new game, not only that but FFXV suffered a lot trough development so it took longer to come out, also, a lot of other non numbered FF games where released during those years.

Metroid like Mario had other released, 3 brand new ones between Prime 3 and 4.

Castlevania like every other Konami property that's not PES is dead and nothing will ever come out ever again (unless you count that horrible NOT-MGS game.

And games like COD, AC, and countless others are released on a yearly basis, it's like you don't know WTH you're talking about....